Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weight gain  (Read 7199 times)

lily71

Weight gain
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »

Hi all

I joined this forum about 3 months ago after discovering that I am going through early menopause.

I am 43 years old, I go to the gym often and I also walk regularly for miles, but all of a sudden I seemed to gain weight (mainly around my midriff) which I cannot seem to shift  :(

In fact I feel swollen and bloated and just bigger in general, even though I'm doing the same exercise I previously did which kept the weight off. I just feel that I'm fighting a losing battle since being diagnosed and I just feel depressed about it, not to mention tired all of the time.

Is this weight gain and inability to shift it common in menopause?

Annie0710

Re: Weight gain
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »

Are you on hrt ?

Low oestrogen causes weight gain around tummy

Annie xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »

Drop of oestrogen = laxity of muscle which can cause the 'apron' to drop  >:(  ::)

You may have a form of IBS which can cause a feeling of belatedness.  Are you weighing or is it a 'feeling' i.e. tight belts?

lily71

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:22:50 PM »

Hi Annie

Thanks so much for your reply. That's interesting. I didn't know that. I'm not on HRT because i've been advised by 2 doctors not to take it because of the increased risk of cancer.

I've previously had some replies on here though about what both doctors have said and apparently at my age (43) i should be fine to take HRT.

I think i may have to go back for a 3rd opinion  :-\ :(
xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 08:23:59 PM »

Your GPs shouldn't use the 'cancer' card ! maybe send an e-mail to Dr Currie and ask? then you have something to wave at your Practice Nurse.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »

Hi Annie

Thanks so much for your reply. That's interesting. I didn't know that. I'm not on HRT because i've been advised by 2 doctors not to take it because of the increased risk of cancer.

I've previously had some replies on here though about what both doctors have said and apparently at my age (43) i should be fine to take HRT.

I think i may have to go back for a 3rd opinion  :-\ :(
xx

Research before you go, u have to admit, when I read about the 'middle age spread' I was thankful I'd been on oestrogen for years !

Annie xx

peegeetip

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »

Hi Lily

too many docs "playing" the card and have no idea of what we are going thru.

Once I got onto HRT the weight gain seemed to magically stablize and I don't seem to put on weight easily again.

I eat and drink normally again too.

Hope you get your 3rd opinion ok :)

:-*

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 01:30:34 PM »

Being easily annoyed is another 'symptom'  ::) - we have threads about that too  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »

It's that strange woman in my house again  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 03:42:38 PM »

Not looking my way I hope  ;D

If you feel bloated it might be worth your while having a chat with your Practice Nurse or GP to rule out anything un-toward too!

Briony

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 10:15:28 PM »

If you're under 40, you're a greater risk from being estrogen deficient than from HRT. My doc said both my heart and bones were being compromised without adequate estrogen.  Your body, pre average menopausal age,  'needs' it. Statistics re cancer are not for people in 40s or younger. CKLD's so right about the cancer card. I would definitely get another opinion - why not have a £25 email consultation with Dr Currie on this site? Took me a while to find a doctor who actually knew about hormones and their effects, but I am so glad I persevered. Hope you get some relief soon x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 09:58:39 AM »

Your doctors are idiots. Get better doctors. If you are in your 30s/40s and have low oestrogen you are damaging your heart and bones.

I have been on HRT for 2 months. I have actually lost a few lbs, and while on holiday I ate very healthily with lots of fresh fish and fruit and my tummy was the flattest it has been in 5 years.

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »

I'm feeling pudgy tonight and not very fit.  Since I broke my foot two months ago, I've not been very physically active, for obvious reasons.   I'm having to make sure my foot goes on healing, as I need it to be okay for three weeks' time.  (Organ course coming up.)  But that means I'm scared to do too much walking, in case I set things back and so I'm not getting enough exercise and putting on some weight.  Has anyone else been in this position, or similar, and what did you do to get fit and trim again?   I don't know how much walking I can do, although I've got a physio appointment next week and I'm going to ask about it.

Dorothy

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »

Can you swim?  I hunted round on the internet for some exercises that would target my middle and most of those can be done sitting or lying so no strain on the feet.  Be careful what terms you type in the search box though, as I came up with some dodgy websites when I searched!

I put on loads of weight last year, but I am slowly losing it again, partly due to being stricter on food and exercise, but also I've had to cut sugar right out as I get such bad heart palpitations...so one advantage of meno, though so far the only one!

Linsey44

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 08:56:20 PM »

Hi Dulciana

Have you googled armchair exercises?  One of the sites that came up is british heart foundation.  Maybe worth a go.

Linseyx
Pages: [1] 2