Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello-new and confused!  (Read 4880 times)

BeckyB

Hello-new and confused!
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to this site (and the menopause  :)) and would really appreciate any advice!
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 14 weeks ago (including ovaries) due to endometriosis and endometriomas and so went straight into surgical menopause. On discharge from hospital I was prescribed Livial (tibolone) by my consultant. As I'm only 47 he said he was concerned about protecting my bones. After a few weeks the hot flushes and insomnia really set in and I felt very low. When I saw my consultant I told him I didn't feel great but did not wish to run any risk of swapping HRT to one which may cause the return of any endometriosis. He agreed but said he could put me on a different HRT and he would contact my GP.
I've since been back to my GP who is very supportive but told me she doesn't really like HRT due to the risks, my consultant had asked her to prescribe Premique but when she looked it wasn't available in the dose so she prescribed me Prempak C. I've now been on this nearly 3 weeks and although the hot flushes went almost instantly I am hardly sleeping and feel really low, could cry at anything and feel really 'flat', as though I've no interest in anything. I've got pains in my back and legs and generally feel like an old woman! I also have found out how Prempak C is made which doesn't sit comfortably with me as I have horses! I do intend to go back to my GP once I've tried it for a whole month, but I wondered if anyone has any experience of taking Prempak C? I'd also appreciate some info from anyone who has had the same procedure due to endometriosis and whether they are taking HRT? I'm really unsure and confused as to which HRT I can take as I know some hormones can cause any endometriosis that wasn't removed to grow-but I'm not sure which hormones? Sorry for such a long, rambling post  :) :) :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello-new and confused!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »

:welcomemm:  GPs continue to mutter about cancer risks then  :bang: rather than helping their patients  >:(.

Your GP should be listening to what your Consultant recommends, after all, he was 'in there' doing the Surgery!  No wonder you feel low, a huge op followed by lack of common sense from your GP!  Quality is important.  The proverbial bus might come along later so the HRT apparent risks won't happen  ;) and they are apparent, often based on very old 'research'!

I'm sure that someone who takes HRT will be along with support.  Have a browse, menus top of screen.  Ask away!

BeckyB

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »

Thank you!
I do really like my GP, I don't want to sound as though I'm moaning about her but I'm just a bit unsure as to what to do!
For anyone who takes Prempak C I forgot to say another worry is that the leaflet says it's to be taken by ladies who have a uterus-which I don't! Confused.com  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »

confused.com - you'll fit right in here  ;)

Keeping a sense of humour is important.  Are you able to book a double appt. with the GP, maybe at the end of the day? to ask her exactly what she means by 'risks' and as this is you who is requesting the HRT, her views really don't matter.  I had this conversation with my GP when I was 16: "what would you say if I told you that I don't' agree with The Pill?" - my response, "your personal views shouldn't enter into this consultation!"  ;D (brazen huzzy!)

Let us know how you get on!  Hopefully Hurdity will be along  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM BeckyB
Sadly because you have had endometriosis you have to use progesterone which will stop the built up that causes the problems with bleeding.
You are right about Prempak C it's not the ideal HRT for you really - it is a very old fashioned type of HRt but it is the cheapest which is why the GP s prescribe it.  You ideally need a continuous HRt preparation but it will be about finding the right one for you.
Do look under HRT preparations on this site where you will get some good info.
May I suggest you try something like Femoston conti 1/5 - it is quite low dose but the progesterone is kinder and many women find they feel really good on this one. If this doesn't keep the symptoms under control and you need a higher dose then your best option could be Oestrogen as gel or patch with Utrogestan(micronised Progesterone) taken every day or 25 out of every 28 days.
Your GP is quite wrong about HRT at your age - the risks only really kick in after the age of 60 and in the mean time you will be protecting your heart and bones by using HRT and helping to prevent bladder and vaginal problems as well. DG x
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:44:05 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »

:thankyou:  DG!

Maryjane

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »

Don't normally comemt on HRT posts......but as Becky B has had a hysterectomy why does she need progesterone?

What I do no is though .....I would not take anything starting with PRE......as this is made from mares urine and is the ones that are considered the dangerous ones....as honeybun said it's cheap...but it's your health so do your resaerch and say you don't want to take that one......

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »

Maryjane

I think because the surgeon cannot guarantee that everything was removed so progesterone is still needed just in case

Think that's right

Annie xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »

Maryjane - I've copied and pasted this from wikipedia : Endometriosis is a disease in which tissue that normally grows inside the uterus grows outside the uterus.[1] Its main symptoms are pelvic pain and infertility. Nearly half have chronic pelvic pain while in 70% pain occurs during menstruation. Pain with sex is also common. Infertility occurs in up to half of people. The areas of endometriosis bleed each month which results in inflammation and scarring

My understanding is that, even after a hysterectomy, oestrogen can cause some build up in these areas so progesterone is needed to prevent this. Many end up having a hysterectomy because endometriosis will cause excessive bleeding and pain.
I suffered with dreadful period pains - the school sent for an ambulance the first couple of times as I was in so much pain!!! I used to feel quite suicidal as I dreaded my period coming each month and pain killers didn't help. Fortunately, when I was 17, I went on the The Pill and this stopped the pain.  I did have trouble falling pregnant the first time but after having my first baby my periods were less painful.  When I started to become peri meno in my mid 30s and I mentioned about this awful pain they told me I probably had suffered with endometriosis.
I hope I've explained that right.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 10:30:16 PM »

I had dreadful period pains too  :'( - I dreaded my periods because I had clotting and flooding.  Awful.  I believe that endometriosis can spread to other areas/sinus around the cavities too once it's away from the womb.  I don't think it was on the medical radar when I was a teen  ::)

Dependant on which hormone triggers the endometriosis to 'grow' and spread will determine which HRT method is most suited.  Is there a support group on-line?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 08:52:34 AM »

BeckyB was given Livial(Tibolone) to start with but she didn't get on with it so her GP has just prescribed the cheapest option - PrempakC  >:(. I'm sure it will be about finding the the HRT that suits - so trial and error :-\
DG x

BeckyB

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 09:09:41 AM »

Wow thanks for the replies and advice! It's particularly helpful to have some named preparations suggested. My GP said she had prescribed HRT to two patients who developed breast cancer, she did say that you would never know whether it was due to HRT or not but she said to know what they went through with their treatment and wonder if it could have been avoided was not nice.
Thanks also for the info about progesterone-you are a clever lot!
My consultant said HRT patches were kinder as they avoid your liver, I said I'd have patches then and he said unfortunately you can't! I don't want to make out that my consultant/GP are not helpful, they are lovely but I now know I'm probably being fobbed off with the cheapest HRT and that there are options. I think I'll give Prempak C the full months trial then go back. Today is day 1 of the progesterone, I'll see what happens 😄.
Thanks again-I'll be back! 😉

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 10:52:18 PM »

I had breast disease. I also took HRT for 3 months several years prior to it.  I tend to deal with the now and insist on quality of Life  ;)

Their cancers may well have been for as many reasons as there are stars in the sky  ::)