Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: I'm on a roller coaster ride......very scary  (Read 4489 times)

renee

I'm on a roller coaster ride......very scary
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:43:43 PM »

once again my anxiety has reared its ugly head. Just got my meno symptoms in check with femoston 2/10, thyroid stabilised with 100mcg thyroxine but the anxiety for me has always been a white knuckle ride roller coaster.

For years Iv tried Ssri's but they caused restless legs which I then was given ropinirol for, then the anxiety would edge through and I'd have to up the dosage. This time my doc said no more ropinirol so changing meds to lofepramine tomorrow!! Hoping it won't cause restless legs as this is my last shot.....my doc has even written to a pharmacist at our local hospital regarding best med for anxiety that won't cause restless legs. There's 2.....Doxepin which Iv been on for 5 months no relief of anxiety, now starting lofepramine.

I hate having to take anti depressants, I take my thyroxine and femoston no bother but taking anti depressants are awful for me.....the anxiety always wins and breaks through in the end.

Iv tried counselling, Physchotherapy and CBT.

I am so sad 😟

Annie0710

Re: I'm on a roller coaster ride......very scary
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »

Bless your heart :-(

It's best to take the meds though rather than duffer awful anxiety

What is restless legs ? Is it painful ?

I hope you get it sorted xx

Annie xx

renee

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:54:42 PM »

Thank you

It's like hot, jumpy legs,you have to keep moving them. It caused me alot of insomnia as there's no relief, therefore no sleep. It's not nice.
The ropinirol I got is actually for Parkinson's but they give it in low doses for people who suffer from restless legs. The pharmacist who has looked into my meds for anxiety wrote to my doc to say I shouldn't be on it and to try find a med for my anxiety that doesn't cause restless legs.....easier said than done.

Xx

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »

Aw I do hope it gets sorted, such a nuisance when a medication has horrible side effects

Annie xx

renee

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:20:53 AM »

Thanks Annie.....wish I didn't have to take anything at all xx

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »

I'm so sorry Renee. How lousy.
A friend has been put on to a low dose of pregabalin for pain and the neurologist said it works on anxiety related illness too. However don't think they care for it in the NHS as it's not out of patent yet and is expensive.

Quite astonishing how many women on here have anxiety. Damn hormones!

good luck.

SueRoe

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »

Renee, I too have restless legs and the lack of sleep is a huge problem. It's well known that most things seem worse after a night without proper sleep and repeatedly having disrupted nights is depressing. I've tried allsorts of things to relieve the restless legs and have found the following help;

counter-intuitively, when the wriggly legs start I have a strong coffee ( I have an espresso-sized cup of Azera instant espresso). I think this is because our cortisol levels are at their lowest between 10pm and 4am when restless legs tends to be at its worst, and caffeine raises cortisol level. Worth a try?

Getting daylight outside during the morning and afternoon helps me as it reinforces the body clock and the cycle of serotonin and melatonin release.

Having fats in my evening meal helps (oils will do, doesn't have to be bad fats!).

As for the anxiety, you have my sympathy. It really is the pits. So many of us on this forum have it. I can't add anything I'm afraid as I'm sure you will have looked into relaxation/valerian/yoga/etc already. Good luck with the new medication.

Sphere27

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »

Magnesium oil spray really good for restless legs. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »

Well - there's your problem.  You have been prescribed Anti-depressant medication when you suffer with anxiety  >:(

Also if you are against ADs then don't take them  :-\.  I lost 4 years of Life because I didn't want to take them, once I had accepted that I have to take ADs for Life, then DH and I began to go out and about.  Anxiety is treated with a 40mg Beta-blocka at night and an emergency medication on an 'as necessary' basis - initially Valium now something else, name escapes me.  But it is prescribed for short-term use.  I had to accept that if I had a chronic disease i.e. diabetes that I would take the medication, so why not take ADs.  I also don't tell anyone unless absolutely necessary which medication I take.  Nowt to do with anyone other than my GP!

I have never heard of ADs causing restless leg syndrome.  Usually this is due to a lack of potassium in the diet.  Eating bananas regularly cured my symptoms in 5 days, I began eating 2/3 daily for panic attacks - and found they eased RLS symptoms. Phew!  Magnesium can be another reason for the syndrome.  I am aware of the syndrome all the while but it starts as soon as I get into bed and can keep me awake.  I have tried sleeping with legs elevated up the wall, of course once I drop off so do the legs - usually onto Hubby's head  ::).  For a few years I had 3 double blankets under the mattress on my side of the bed which did help as does Nurofen before bed.

Anxiety can ground me within moments so you have my sympathy. 

Chi chi

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:26:27 AM »

I also suffer from anxiety and have tried lots of medication none of which seem to help  :( I've also started suffering from really hot feet/restless legs, I've tried some weird socks that you put ice packs in, they work for a short while but then start to "defrost" and are then useless! I usually end up just hanging my feet out of the bed  ::)
For the restless legs I've found that wearing those tubi socks (up to the knees) really helps! Give it a try might work for you also  ;)

renee

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 05:53:56 AM »

Thank you so much for all your comments x

I have been of my Ssri's for 5 days, to say I feel better at the moment is an under statement!!

I will be eating more bananas, I too a have a stash of diazepam 2mg for emergencies so if I need it I will be taking it. Iv had anxiety for nearly 10 years but it has worsened since going through the menopause......seems more like being on a roller coaster ride.

All your advice is much appreciated.....

Going to try and keep away from Ssri's if I can, I always felt groggy in the morning etc. feel fine today!! Yaaaaa 😃😃😃😃😃

SueRoe

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »

So glad you're feeling better renee. I was told when I came off SSRIs that most of our serotonin is made in our guts and to try to eat plenty of fruit and veg every day as well as natural unsweetened yoghurt ( I like Yeo valley natural yoghurt because it's mild and not too sharp). Also to stay well away from sweet stuff and junk in general. The aim is to keep the gut bugs happy so that they can make all the serotonin you need so that you can stay feeling well and stay off the SSRIs. Also, try and get daylight outside every morning. Good luck !

renee

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 10:55:40 PM »

I didn't know that Freda and will try the yoghurt fresh fruit etc.

I am going to change a few things in my diet and try get out for walks a bit more.....Iv promised myself and need to keeping.

Thank you so much all ❤️

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 03:34:45 PM »

"I have never heard of ADs causing restless leg syndrome.  Usually this is due to a lack of potassium in the diet"  - CLKD - restless legs are one of the common symptoms of some anti depressants. Info here about how to relieve the symptoms of RLS http://www.healthline.com/health/restless-leg-syndrome/expert-qa

Taz x