Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How did we survive  (Read 7718 times)

kerrieann

Re: How did we survive
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »

love germolene ointment although its getting hard to find, the cream you can easily get

Joyce

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »

TCP in our house. Dreadful stuff! My mum wouldn't buy germolene, not sure why.

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 08:26:58 AM »

My dad had to work in Australia for 3 months at a time. Only contact was airmail letters that took 6 weeks to arrive. There were no long haul flights. He had to fly in small aircraft from country to country. 50s and early 60s. My son lives in the USA and we talk, text or face time most days.

I had severe asthma, which medication of the time did not control. I have memories of not knowing how to take the next breath, yet I was never taken to hospital. Mind you I was never aware that asthma was life threatening until my later teens, so I never panicked. And I survived.

GeordieGirl

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 08:37:27 AM »

We had little money when I was a child, and few holidays and yet I wouldn't have swapped my childhood for the world. The Enid Blyton style adventures just can't be touched by today's techie society, we had a kind of freedom denied to most children today (even if they wanted it!).

I remember going out to play after breakfast and coming home for dinner - with no mobile phones to keep track. Fresh air and freedom, no expensive toys or gadgets needed.

Do we really call the intervening decades 'progress' ? While we've gained on many fronts, we've made considerable losses in others.

Nostalgia rules ok !

GG x

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 10:31:30 AM »

The scary thing is that I can remember my mum and dad bemoaning the fact that my childhood wasn't at all like the freedom they had in their childhood and how much the world had changed and not for the better. I guess it's just the way of the world that each generation feels their childhood was the best?  I agree that too much of childhood is now spent glued to screens.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »

It really depends on the child with television viewing. My son was never interested and does not own a TV now. He will watch films on his iPad and listens to radio, but my daughter did enjoy watching TV, usually selectively though she did watch some rubbish. She found learning to read very difficult and in hindsight, had aspects of dyslexia, but as one teacher commented, it was a shock to hear her read, as her knowledge of the world was extensive, thanks to TV. My sister restricted any TV viewing for her children, but it was my mum who commented that maybe watching TV was not the great evil it was felt to be. It is more what is watched, how much and whether they can play imaginatively on their own, without needing to be passively simulated.

I have observed my little grandson. The TV is put on if my daughter is busy. She puts on cbeebies, which is pretty safe. He watches some programmes avidly and has obviously learnt a lot, but will go off and play when other programmes come on. Mind you, he would sit for hours watching utube videos on tractors for hours if allowed. At 21/2 he doesn't realise that mum could assess tractor videos on her iPad, only his grandparents!

I suspect the issues will be more difficult when he is older, but then again he is outside as much as possible. That love of the outside world is shared by his parents. He is a very fortunate little boy.
Pages: 1 [2]