Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Exercise versus AD for anxiety?  (Read 8055 times)

Greenfields

Exercise versus AD for anxiety?
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:54:51 PM »

My Dr asked me to exercise more as I'm so sensitive to medication to see whether that would help with my menopausal anxiety (and the anxiety arising from my nervous breakdown).  So the only meds I'm on at the moment are HRT - patches (Evorel 50) and utrogestan (100mg).

So I'm doing lots of exercise - for instance last week I did 3 aquafit classes (strong aerobic practice in the swimming pool) and at the weekend I did a 7 mile walk on Sat and a 4 mile walk on Sun.  On Monday I did another aquafit class. On Tues I did a 4 mile walk in the morning and another aquafit class the same day.  Today I did 90 minutes of strong yoga practice.  I also have a regular meditation practice.

The thing is that I still find that I wake up feeling fragile and often with a dry mouth and a sense of anxiety running around my system.  And I regularly wake up at 4am without fail - and then struggle to get back to sleep.  I've also been doing relaxation practices (lying down) and trying to reframe my thought patterns when I worry about my future (as I'm doing the ITalk CBT telephone counselling stuff).

I'm also eating very very healthfully and only drink herbal tea!

I'm not due to see the Dr again until the 10th June so I'm going to persist with what I'm doing in the hope that at some point my body will get the message that it needs to relax and let go of anxiety!  But it is difficult given that I feel personally under a lot of pressure to get better sooner rather than later as my tenancy is up in September on my current flat and I'd like to be able to move back to Canada before then or be working in the UK at something if I'm not well enough to move back.  And when I do move back to Canada, I'm going to have to pick up 2 or 3 p/t survival minimum wage jobs while I reapply for my place on a Masters course which I gave up when I was ill!  So lots of potential stress to deal with in the future.

But I just wondered has anyone else managed to manage their menopausal anxiety symptoms solely with exercise? 

It's not that I want to take more medication but I'm wondering how I'm going to fit in a lot of exercise once I start a 'regular' life again (i.e. am well enough to work) - at the moment I seem to spend most of my time doing exercise or relaxation exercises (inbetween reading and trying to get some other things done!) and I know I won't have that amount of free time when I start working again.

Any thoughts appreciated.  I've found it particularly hard when I've woken up feeling fragile and not myself which seems to happen quite a bit.  I'm assuming some of it is due to the nervous breakdown I had?  I don't know how long this will take to heal?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:56:37 PM by Greenfields »

honeybun

Re: Exercise versus AD for anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »

Wow, I'm very impressed.
My excercise consists of dog walking and gardening at the moment although I am a carer for my mother so I don't get a lot of time to sit down.

I know this isn't a excercise suggestion but have you considered a beta blocker for your morning anxiety. I take a tiny dose and it really helps. I don't know if this would be appropriate for you but a lot of us find this medication really helpful especially for morning anxiety which is definitely the worse time of day.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:15:06 PM »

When I am depressed I can't get out of bed leave along exercise.  When anxiety hits I am curled up in a ball on the floor, shivering.

Exercise won't do any harm but you are doing an awful lot of it and it can become addictive.  As suggested, a betablocka may well ease that early morning surge.  If you are waking at 4.00 every morning, that's a sure sign of depression, unrelated to menopause.

There are so many ADs on the market that it is very unlikely that you would react badly to them all!

Greenfields

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »

Thanks for that.  One of the reasons I posted is that, while I'm committed to following the Dr's advice as much as I can, I lost a lot of weight when I had my breakdown (around 13lb) and with all the exercise I'm doing, I feel like I'm getting even more skinny!  I'm eating a lot - I make myself eat a big breakfast even when I don't feel like it (I can feel nauseous).  And I only now tend to have 2 bowel movements in the morning and then sometimes one at night.  So its not like it was when I was really ill.  But I am a bit concerned as I don't want to lose even more weight.

The trainer at the gym I saw today told me to eat lots of fats - like putting coconut oil in my porridge - which I'm going to do.  Another friend in Canada advised me to eat lots of fats too - like avocados and meat - which I'm doing.  I'm also eating full fat greek yogurt!

I've just done a bit of a search online about morning anxiety and menopause and one site said that waking up early is a sign of menopause and also early morning anxiety is linked to menopause too.

I guess I'll have to speak to the Dr when I see her.  Twenty years ago when I had panic attacks I did take beta blockers for a short while but I didn't really like taking them - so I got into yoga and meditation and the attacks went away!

I'd like to try if possible to avoid an AD in someways because it will be yet another drug I will have to pay for when I move back to Canada.  However, I know that I can't keep up the level of exercise I'm doing at the moment once I join 'regular life' again (God I hope I do!).

In terms of the anxiety, I try to get up and get going in the morning even if I feel awful - usually a cup of tea and my breakfast helps - I always feel a bit better after.  In fact, one blog I just read suggested that you should eat as soon as you wake up - have a snack by your bed - as the anxiety can be linked to low blood sugar too. I might try experimenting with that.

Sometimes my energy levels in the morning make it difficult to get going - and then I usually have breakfast and go back to bed and do a relaxation practice - and then get up again feeling a bit better.  But having the time to do this when working will be challenging.   

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »

Mornings are never great for me. I generally waken early and get up and feed the dog. I then make a cuppa and go back to bed for an hour and read a book. It helps ease me into the day which is helpful. When I do get up generally the worst has passed.

It's just a case of trying to find what works for you.

Not at all sure about adding fats into your diet to try and maintain your weight. It really sounds as if you are excercising too much and that is causing the weight loss.
Maybe try and cut back just a bit rather than pushing yourself quite so hard.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »

It depends upon the fats added  ;)

Early morning anxiety can be eased by having a biscuit by the bed  ;) (my dog soon learned in the night that there was a biccy to hand  ).  If I feel anxious I get up and get going, ginger biscuits can help.  Dried fruits and nuts are good for nibbling too.

Glad you have a trainer for advice!  Means you get to speak to someone regularly too.

Poppyflower

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:16:11 PM »

I am certain that on this forum I have read that too much strenuous exercise uses up our estrogen quicker, also it seems to me that you could probably try a higher dose patch for your estrogen. Hope you feel better soon. Take Care.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »

Exercise was suggested to me also. But, if you're really awful with anxiety, getting out of the house can be a struggle never mind exercise. My mum was like this.  There's no denying that exercise is good for you, but everything in moderation. Is your doctor aware of how much exercising you are doing?

Suzyq

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:10:59 PM »

I, like you did 2-3 hour gym sessions every day. Now it's summer I golf 5 days a week. I have found exercise to be absolutely great for anxiety - but also keeping busy with anything (even work!) meant I didn't really have time to think about being anxious.  Hopefully it will be the same for you and if you have to swap exercise for work, you won't notice any difference ...

Suzi Q

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 12:15:15 AM »

My Dr asked me to exercise more as I'm so sensitive to medication to see whether that would help with my menopausal anxiety (and the anxiety arising from my nervous breakdown).  So the only meds I'm on at the moment are HRT - patches (Evorel 50) and utrogestan (100mg).

So I'm doing lots of exercise - for instance last week I did 3 aquafit classes (strong aerobic practice in the swimming pool) and at the weekend I did a 7 mile walk on Sat and a 4 mile walk on Sun.  On Monday I did another aquafit class. On Tues I did a 4 mile walk in the morning and another aquafit class the same day.  Today I did 90 minutes of strong yoga practice.  I also have a regular meditation practice.

The thing is that I still find that I wake up feeling fragile and often with a dry mouth and a sense of anxiety running around my system.  And I regularly wake up at 4am without fail - and then struggle to get back to sleep.  I've also been doing relaxation practices (lying down) and trying to reframe my thought patterns when I worry about my future (as I'm doing the ITalk CBT telephone counselling stuff).

I'm also eating very very healthfully and only drink herbal tea!

I'm not due to see the Dr again until the 10th June so I'm going to persist with what I'm doing in the hope that at some point my body will get the message that it needs to relax and let go of anxiety!  But it is difficult given that I feel personally under a lot of pressure to get better sooner rather than later as my tenancy is up in September on my current flat and I'd like to be able to move back to Canada before then or be working in the UK at something if I'm not well enough to move back.  And when I do move back to Canada, I'm going to have to pick up 2 or 3 p/t survival minimum wage jobs while I reapply for my place on a Masters course which I gave up when I was ill!  So lots of potential stress to deal with in the future.

But I just wondered has anyone else managed to manage their menopausal anxiety symptoms solely with exercise? 

It's not that I want to take more medication but I'm wondering how I'm going to fit in a lot of exercise once I start a 'regular' life again (i.e. am well enough to work) - at the moment I seem to spend most of my time doing exercise or relaxation exercises (inbetween reading and trying to get some other things done!) and I know I won't have that amount of free time when I start working again.

Any thoughts appreciated.  I've found it particularly hard when I've woken up feeling fragile and not myself which seems to happen quite a bit.  I'm assuming some of it is due to the nervous breakdown I had?  I don't know how long this will take to heal?

Beta Blocas are wonderful for that terror feeling in the morning that hits you I use Inderal 40m take them ONLY when I get what I call the bad hebie Jeebie might be for a week or 4 weeks but it goes
I then ease off to  1/2 day to 1/4 a day over a week then stop dsont use them again til it its they work x

Greenfields

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 06:37:08 AM »

These are really interesting posts - thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Poppyflower - I think you might have hit the nail on the head.  I went back through my journal and up until recently I was sleeping through till at least 6.30am ish.  However, the last 5 days I've woken up without fail at 4am.

I'm really thinking it's hormonal and I need a rebalance on my HRT - I know I'm on a low dose - Evorel 50 patches and 100mg Utrogestan.

In terms of people's feedback on the anxiety - I don't wake up generally with incapacitating anxiety (like I used to experience when I was in my 20's and 30's).  It's more that I wake up with a very dry mouth and an anxious stomach.  Sometimes I feel worse but those are the most common symptoms.  It's like my nervous system is stuck in the fight or flight response. 

I think it's related to my nervous breakdown.  And the fact that I'm feeling very precarious in my life at the moment in terms of my housing and my future plans - and it's difficult to hold that and at the same time try to heal myself without feeling the pressure to get well as quickly as I can.

Before my hormonal and nervous breakdowns I was a pretty healthy person.  I used to swim a lot - usually 2 or 3 times a week but I had to give that up because of a viral infection I got and my sinus issues.  That's why aquafit is so great!  I wish I had tried it sooner.  Altho' having said that the sports centre only have 1 evening class so if I was working, it would be impossible for me to get to 3 classes a week.

In terms of fats - I'm now putting coconut oil in my porridge!  Several people have said to me that healthy fats are really good to eat when you've had a nervous breakdown - so things like avocados for instance as well as coconut oil.  I'm also eating full fat greek yogurt with fruit as well as eating more meat - I also eat oily fish twice a week as well. 

Has anyone else had issues with waking early and then having their HRT adjusted?

I'm on Day 24 of my HRT today - so I only have one more day of Utrogestan 100mg and then I take my first break from it.  The Dr has prescribed it as follows:

Take Utrogestan for Days 1 - 25
Then stop taking it.
Start taking it again as soon as you start bleeding.
If you don't start bleeding, take it on Day 29 which would also constitute Day 1 of my next cycle of Utrogestan.

She suggested this because I'm so sensitive to medication she thought it would be better if I took a low dose for 25 days rather than taking it for a shorter period of time in the second half of my cycle (as the manufacturer's leaflet suggests).

I guess the other thing is, if I do get my HRT adjusted and then find I'm not able to exercise as much in the future - then that's going to throw everything out again?!  I'm really looking forward to trying to get permanently better!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:45:04 AM by Greenfields »

pepperminty

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 07:45:40 AM »

Hi Greenfields ,

Morning anxiety and waking up early is very common in menopause. I read somewhere that in menopause you shouldn't exercise too vigorously as it can deplete the body. So taking regular gentle exercise and allowing the body to recover is the key. All sorts of things can make us wake early from racing thoughts and anxiety to hormones ,  noise and ,light . As long as you are getting good quality sleep try not to worry. Congratulate yourself for coping so well and coming so far.

Peppermintyxx

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »

swimming regularly helps my anxiety, although if it's an over active mind and lots of big decisions (sounds like you have a few ongoing ones) and you're a wired person, nothing's going to make it go away. I find moderate exercise helps me feel better, which helps anxiety.
Couldn't you wear earplugs and a noseclip (I do - looks hideous but I don't care). I also have bad sinuses but didn't want to stop swimming. I find being in the water so relaxing, especially outdoor swimming.
Walking too.

You could ask to try the Evorel 75 patches to see if that helps? I imagine you'd know quite quickly.
If you find out how to shut up an over active, 10 track mind, let me know!  ::)

Greenfields

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 07:54:06 PM »

Hi Greenfields ,

Morning anxiety and waking up early is very common in menopause. I read somewhere that in menopause you shouldn't exercise too vigorously as it can deplete the body. So taking regular gentle exercise and allowing the body to recover is the key. All sorts of things can make us wake early from racing thoughts and anxiety to hormones ,  noise and ,light . As long as you are getting good quality sleep try not to worry. Congratulate yourself for coping so well and coming so far.

Peppermintyxx

Thanks Pepperminty!  I think the anxiety is hormonal.  And it's very brief.  I had a brief bout of anxiety and nausea this morning when I was preparing breakfast but then I just got on with it and was fine the rest of the day.

In fact, in someways, I feel so much more like my old self - except that I have no Masters course to pick up this Fall :(  I'm feeling more positive though about life and hoping I can take a trip to Canada in July if my health continues to improve.

The waking up at 4am thing started about 5 days ago when I ramped up my exercise level - and I'm going to talk to the doctor next week about it - found out today I could do a phone consult on Wednesday which I will do if the waking up at 4am continues.  I sleep well but not, I think, particularly deeply considering how much exercise I do!

I would say I'm doing more exercise of late but, when I think back to what I did before I was unwell, I used to swim a lot - maybe 3 or 4 times a week - so it's unusual for me to be so sick that I don't exercise (which is what happened from Dec - April).  At the moment, I do feel mentally better for the exercise though - and given what I've been through, I'm going to stick with it until the end of May and then reevaluate how much I'm doing.  I see the Dr for an appointment on June 10th.

Greenfields

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »

swimming regularly helps my anxiety, although if it's an over active mind and lots of big decisions (sounds like you have a few ongoing ones) and you're a wired person, nothing's going to make it go away. I find moderate exercise helps me feel better, which helps anxiety.
Couldn't you wear earplugs and a noseclip (I do - looks hideous but I don't care). I also have bad sinuses but didn't want to stop swimming. I find being in the water so relaxing, especially outdoor swimming.
Walking too.

You could ask to try the Evorel 75 patches to see if that helps? I imagine you'd know quite quickly.
If you find out how to shut up an over active, 10 track mind, let me know!  ::)

Have never tried earplugs and a noseclip - that might be something worth exploring - thanks for the suggestion.  I just really, at the moment, don't want to risk another sinus infection as the last one I had was horrible and dragged on for months.  The aqua aerobics I currently do is giving me a really good workout though :)

BTW meditation is really good for a busy mind - it doesn't make thoughts go away - over time it just makes one more accepting of whatever's present in the mind which then gives one peace.  Takes practice though to get to acceptance!  I had (and have) a solid meditation practice and it's been so helpful for me and got me through hell in March with the week long breakdown I had.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:58:08 PM by Greenfields »
Pages: [1] 2 3