Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Neck and shoulder pain anyone?  (Read 46196 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Neck and shoulder pain anyone?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 06:28:48 PM »

This is so weird.

I started taking HRT just over 6 weeks ago. I don't know if my oestrogen was low (all bloods came back as 'normal') but my hormones were most definitely fluctuating as my mood swings were extreme.

About 4 weeks ago I noticed a dull, dragging pain all down my right arm, from my little finger and up into my shoulder. Similar to the ache you get after banging your funny bone, but it was pretty much constant. It was quite debilitating and my right arm felt weak.

1.5 weeks ago I upped my oestrogen dose from 25mg to 50mg and within a couple of days the pain had stopped. Not sure if it was just a coincidence?

Annie0710

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »

That's not my problem though but could be why you're hurting

I have high oestrogen levels

Hope it gets better for you, it's not nice

Annie xx

Irishangel

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »

wow seems to have been really thorough! Bet you feel happier knowing something is being done!  I haven't quite as bad today even though I have been standing all day. had a bad ache late this afternoon but put a freeze patch on. seemed to ease.   Bit more achey now, (thought it was too good to be true! )  Hope you have a good weekend and as pain free as possible!!  :) xx

Annie0710

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »

I do Irishangel

I think he will do his best for me, he asked what my end expectations are and I said just to be pain free, it wouldn't be fair on him to ask to mend my VA !

Annie xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »

Has he suggested recent X-rays Annie?   :-X

Annie0710

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 11:21:15 PM »

Not as yet CLKD, he wanted to see me tomorrow but I'm not free until next Friday, but he said he will write to GP with a diagnosis in due course

I did mention that I had a bone density blood test and was told it was ok (but you know I've got no idea when in the last 3 years that was)!

Talk about embarrassing, I had no idea if have to strip off, but I had to put a gown on, came out the changing room and apologised that I was wearing a thong ! I'm off to buy some knicker shorts for the next session 😧

Annie xx

Briony

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »

Shoulder/mid back pain was one of my first symptoms. At the time I was very fit and put it down to a sports injury/trapped nerve. Spent hundreds on osteo/physio to no avail (though pilates did seem to ease it a little). Eventually the pain was too much and nothing would shift it, so my doctor put me on Amitriptyline (horrible stuff!). By this point I developed tingling in my fingers at times and struggled to wear a bra as it hurt so much.

Two years, many consultants and several MRIs later, it was found that my symptoms were due to water retention niggling nearby nerves - aggravated by hormones. I have also had the problem in my foot too, as has a friend (whose doctor also found the cause to be hormonal). It did eventually calm down by itself, only to be replaced by a new set of symptoms such as anxiety, nausea, fatigue and headaches.
 HRT and the pill have both helped calm things down a lot. I just regret wasting several years of my life (and the knock on effect it had on those around me) due to my then GP's ignorance of women's/hormonal issues. It was in fact a wonderful neurologist who first suggested measuring my oestrogen!

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »

I have very tight neck/throat muscles. My naprapath helped me feel better, but I'm still stiff and tense on and off. I think my problems might have been brought on by my anxiety. I also have this sense of tense stomach muscles (due to anxiety?). Anyone else had this problem?

Annie0710

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 12:22:40 AM »

I was born with a foot deformity so one leg is 1.5cm shorter than the other, where possible I have the shoe balanced out, I know this new phase of hip and knee pain is wear n tear probably not helped by meno.  I know my pelvis is not straight which explains the lower disc problems I get, and when I saw him Friday he said the shoulders are the opposite angle to the pelvic tilt . (Sounds very extreme but I swear I look normal lol) so this is probably 48 years of wear and tear on a frame that isn't balanced.  But this pain hurts or maybe my resistance is getting weaker, I've had a constant dead arm feeling and the tingling on the side of the palm of my hand, it's just wearing me down now, I'll do whatever/take whatever just to be pain free

Annie xx

Briony

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »

Annie, this sounds a bit strange, but have you had your thyroid tested? Tingling in your arm/hand could be Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, which in turn is linked with thyroid issues.  My arm tingling was found to be related to low estrogen, but at the time, a thyroid problem was my doctor's first thought. x

Annie0710

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »

Well Briony

I have lots of symptoms that I don't attribute just down to meno

3 years ago after my sudden onset of symptoms they said I was borderline b12 deficient (just below the UK silly range actually) and said it didn't need treating although I was suffering many of the symptoms, I kept on at them so they gave me tablets for 3 months then retested , which was then up to 219 (UK range 211-911) because i had tipped into their range they discontinued treatment, then said oh your in peri menopause.  I continued self treating with tablets and although not brilliant, def better than I had been, for some reason I stopped and I can't remember when, but Xmas time all my symptoms came back plus more, I have developed double vision and my eyesight will blur then correct itself. I get crashing fatigue but recent weeks I've stepped up my b12 treatment, nasal sprays/sublinguals (tried injections but lost my nerve doing it myself) and I have to say although still tired not the crashing fatigue.  So my thoughts are perhaps more b12/'thyroid/the double vision worries me with things like ms, although I'm not stressing, I just want answers, but now they've consistently seen my high oestrogen levels on hrt they are putting everything down to meno, but I can't shake off the feeling it's something else.  I'm not talking just aches, these are painful episodes I experience , and I'm so chuffed with myself if I even have the energy to hoover ! I've had a busy (for me) weekend that only weeks ago I'd never have managed.  My OH has noticed that I've got a bit of go in me lately, and apart from being on lots of supplements for a couple of weeks in sure it's down to the b12 this last month

Annie xx

Briony

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »

Hi again Annie

I could have written your post!

In fact, I saw a neurologist twice, had a brain scan and three spinal MRIs during MS investigations.

The pain was so bad I went from someone who ran 40+miles a week to someone hardly able to get out of bed.  The weird dizzy feeling and tingling prevented me from going far from home and I spent half my life on Dr Google.  It was the second, very on the ball neurologist who ruled out MS and sent me to an endocrinologist. He immediately did a blood test on day 4 of my period and found my estrogen was very deficient.

I initially struggled to believe hormones could do this to me (especially as my periods have become more regular than ever) - but I have since met many others in the same boat.  A lot of the people with these more unusual symptoms seem to be younger (mine started when I was 40). I guess it's because our bodies still expect/need high amounts of estrogen at this age?

I'd be lying to say everything is perfect now I am on Qlaira, but compared with the state I was in three years ago, things are definitely miles better. I do still get the odd hour or so of crushing fatigue (the sort that makes your eyelids feel like bricks!) often at the beginning of the month, but it's no longer days/weeks at a time.

xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »

I'm glad you got your answer
That's how I was 16 years ago when my ovaries started playing up, and next to no oestrogen and once I was put on hrt all my symptoms went, so I don't have low oestrogen
I've got low something, just don't know what !

Annie xx

pepperminty

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »

Hi Annie,

so sorry to hear you are in pain . I can sympathise , because earlier this year I was in so much back and hip pain, up all night , saw doctor who gave me a pain killing injection in my backside , and diazepam , which didn't work and I was screaming in agony and my GP sent me to hospital in an ambulance. I spent 3 weeks on 21 pain killers per day and they barely touched the pain.
Anyway I am on the mend now .
I was referred to  a pain clinic , I think most areas have them . It took 6 weeks for an appointment , but I got a diagnosis and I am being monitored, so it may be worth asking your GP to refer you. 

Peppermintyxx

Annie0710

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »

Yes I think chiropractor will write to gp after I see him Friday, hopefully this pain will get treated, it's affecting me every day

I'm so glad you're on the mend, it gives me hope

Annie xx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4