Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Rapid weight loss  (Read 38511 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Rapid weight loss
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2015, 08:21:54 PM »

I worked in the NHS during the Labour years.  Wards were being closed. Nurses had to go abroad to work as there weren't jobs in the UK.  Health visiting etc. was cut.  Mums were turned out of Maternity Wards far too early, due to Labour cuts - they had to provide nappies for their babies, their own sanitary protection ……. the thing is to source those agencies/facilities as local as possible regardless.  Charities are un-affected by the Government of the Day so those suggested above could be your first point of call. 

GeordieGirl

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »

You really are a good person GG

Xxxxxxxx

Bless you. (mwah!) But we all are, and we need to recognise that more. We all have our strengths but sometimes we forget what they are; we all have our blessings in life but we often forget what they are. Easy to do in times of stress or pain, but the more we focus on them, the more chance we have of being happy.

GG x

Limpy

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2015, 08:26:44 PM »

What's also noticeable is that whilst you have replied to Honeybun in disgust at what she posted, you have totally ignored my point about you wishing you had cancer. Not one word. I'd have been apologising profusely.

I noticed that too, I was astounded at that cancer comment and the subsequent lack of apology.

Would any hugs help?
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:30:57 PM by Limpy »

Greenfields

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »

Dandelion I've had a lot of very expensive therapy to recover some of myself from the trauma of my own childhood.  One of the things the therapist used to say to me is "it's never too late to have what you can have."  I used to get intensely irritated by this but over time, I came to realise the truth of it.

The thing is though, sometimes we have to grieve our losses for a very very long time.  I know I did.  I had 8 years of weekly therapy - sometimes having it 3 times a week.  And I was lucky that I was able to afford it and that I found a good therapist - I had several really shit experiences with therapists before I found someone who could help me.

The other thing to know is that I'm very sensitive and so it took me a long time to recover from what had happened to me as a child even though, from reading through the posts on this board, it wasn't as bad as what has happened to some people.  People often say well so and so got off their arse and did stuff after having a crap childhood but every child is different.  Every child has a different disposition and every child has different levels of resilience.  I know, I was a sensitive kid, I didn't have much resilience and I was deeply impacted by the way I was parented.  I didn't get the help I needed until my late thirties, early forties.  By which time I felt I'd pretty well messed up a lot of my life.  And I only finished therapy last year by which time I was 50.

Things are still a bit of a mess for me life wise with the menopausal thing and the breakdown thing (didn't foresee those!) - which is why I post on here!  But, I do now have a sense of self worth and more inner strength.  So what I wish for you are these things too. You're worth it even if you don't currently feel you are.  I get the worry about benefits - I'm terrified too.  It's another reason why I want to leave this country because I've become aware of so much suffering since I got back and I think that a lot of people are insulated from it - and it's going to have get a lot worse before things change.

However, living one's life in fear is cutting short the joy we can have in the moment.  Life is precious even when it's really crap.  Keep doing the counselling and try and find something that brings you joy each day and write it down - even if it's just noticing the sun shining through the window.  A daily practice like this has been shown through research to shift the mind's focus.  I've done it, and it's a very helpful practice.  During my breakdown I wrote down things like, still breathing, roof over head, food in belly, warm bed - really basic things I appreciated but it helped me so much. 

If you have access to the library, get hold of a copy of "The mindful way through depression" by Williams, Teasdale, Segal and Kabat-Zinn.  If you can get hold of Jon Kabat Zinn's CD's through the library - do, particularly the body scan one.  Try doing the relaxation and meditation practices.  It's not an instant fix but, over time, it can help.  And you don't have to move in order to do them! You can do them in your chair or on a bed.

Sending much love and hugs - take care of your precious self - you deserve nothing less however hard it feels to give that love to yourself at this moment. xxx

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:36:14 PM by Greenfields »

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »

Lovely thread Greenfields.

My mantra - Little steps!  (Rome wasn't built in a day).  I really thought I would not survive but once I had ditched my childhood, I could move forwards.  In face, once I had spent 3 years in talking therapy, the problems were no lingered remembered.  Discuss, decide, ditch  ;)

GeordieGirl

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »

However, living one's life in fear is cutting short the joy we can have in the moment.  Life is precious even when it's really crap.  Keep doing the counselling and try and find something that brings you joy each day and write it down - even if it's just noticing the sun shining through the window.  A daily practice like this has been shown through research to shift the mind's focus.  I've done it, and it's a very helpful practice.  During my breakdown I wrote down things like, still breathing, roof over head, food in belly, warm bed - really basic things I appreciated but it helped me so much. 

If you have access to the library, get hold of a copy of "The mindful way through depression" by Williams, Teasdale, Segal and Kabat-Zinn.  If you can get hold of Jon Kabat Zinn's CD's through the library - do, particularly the body scan one.  Try doing the relaxation and meditation practices.  It's not an instant fix but, over time, it can help.  And you don't have to move in order to do them! You can do them in your chair or on a bed.

I totally agree. I had a really stressful time last year and I have to say YouTube kept me sane. I'd regularly tune into Jack Canfield motivational videos, and other TedTalks and it really lifted my spirits and helped me focus on the positives. There are some fabulous speakers on YouTube, all free and if you don't like one, it doesn't take long to find someone who does strike a chord with you.

GG x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »

I noticed that too, I was astounded at that cancer comment and the subsequent lack of apology.

Would any hugs help?

Chocolate would be better?  :)

No, damn - I've given that up in my ultra healthy living plan. It's been replaced by green sludge a delicious raw veg smoothie. Oh. Joy.
I'm sure virtual hugs will help it all go down though, thanks  :)

GG x

Limpy

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »

Would any hugs help?

Chocolate would be better?  :)

No, damn - I've given that up in my ultra healthy living plan. It's been replaced by green sludge a delicious raw veg smoothie. Oh. Joy.
I'm sure virtual hugs will help it all go down though, thanks  :)

GG x

Are there any healthy type chocolate things - Carob?

CLKD

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2015, 08:47:22 PM »

You continue with your green sludge - I can eat chocolate really really quietly  ;)

Hopefully suggestions offered up here will be accepted - offered up from experiences of other Members.  Survival is selfish and sometimes difficult.  Acceptance can be difficult.  Asking for help can be scary in case of rejection. 

GeordieGirl

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 08:50:15 PM »

Are there any healthy type chocolate things - Carob?

I'm not sure but decided to go cold turkey. It's actually proven easier I think, once I get the taste of chocolate (or Waitrose Millionaire's Cheesecake - yum!!) then I'm on a very slippery slope and want more and more . Funnily enough the green sludge never has that effect  :)  Strange really.

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2015, 08:52:56 PM »

Start another thread about the sludge  ;) - funny how no-one is offering to share the straw  ::)

GeordieGirl

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »

Start another thread about the sludge  ;) - funny how no-one is offering to share the straw  ::)

Just say the word CLKD and I'll offer you a glass. Or a jug. In fact, take mine  :)

No?  :)

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »

New thread?  that'll give me time to decide  ;)

Mrs January

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 09:10:18 PM »

Hi there

I am afraid I feel distaste with this post......we all have stuff to manage in life and some of it is beyond our control ......for me the suicide of my eldest boy Jack aged 23......what a shock.

Drinking, smoking, overeating ...we all have a chose to do those things, alcohol is  a depressant so makes sense to avoid it if one has anxiety needs. Solution focused is my way of coping.....make a plan however small or great and work towards achieving it. Only the individual can do it , no amount of support or counselling helps unless the core of us wants things to be different....Yes???

So life is no rehearsal, we live just the once and should make it as happy as we can before we get the camera roll to the end and regret not doing the things we so wanted for ourselves.

mrs j 

Dandelion

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2015, 09:32:56 PM »

My oldest sister had a drink problem, but she insisted she could leave it any time. She drank a lot of water too - or that's what she told us, and I truly believe she believed it too. At the same time she lost a lot of weight, her skin was sallow and bad and depression took over.  She would never go to AA or take any of the support available, nor would she ever help herself, but sought excuse after excuse. Despite being very intelligent and a previous medical career this fell by the wayside many years before due to the drink - she lost all motivation and depression took over. She died aged 53 leaving behind a young teenage son. By the time she died I actually disliked her - she'd become An Alcoholic and the addiction took over her whole world and personality, she became incredibly selfish near the end.

AA want you to stop the drink because that's the only way not to depend on it. It's bloody hard and that's why they're on hand to support you through it, but you really do need to want to help yourself.  If you can stop anytime, then it's worth doing - alcohol isn't the answer and will only be feeding your depression. This will be a much more positive step than looking for other diagnoses and financial support. It's more likely to be the alcohol that's causing issues than the relationship with your mum - that doesn't decrease your motivation, stop you from getting better or stop you from working.  I know this may sound harsh, but believe me, having seen my sister destroy herself from the inside out I'd hate to see anyone go down this path when they've still a chance of saving themselves.

Because I have depression and some unsolvable problems, I sometimes wish for cancer.

Have mine. I've been diagnosed with bowel cancer and really wish I hadn't. How anyone can wish for it I really don't know - my young daughters would probably say the same.

GG x
Hi,

I didn't see your post before I posted about cancer being a ticket out.
I wish we could swap, I am sorry that my comment hurt you.
I wish you did not have cancer and I wish for your cancer to be healed.
I didn't mean any offence honest.
I stopped drinking for five years, and only just started again back in October.
I realise how much of a tw*t drink addiction can turn someone into.
I was depressed long, long before I started drinking again.
Still not felt like having another drink today though, it's easy when I am not in the mood to drink.
(((hugs)))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7