Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dressmaking  (Read 7514 times)

bramble

Re: Dressmaking
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 09:05:02 PM »

Do you have a friend who could come across one afternoon for a few hours and guide you through a simple pattern? Do you know the basics like threading the bobbin and threading the needle etc?

Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »

What? No pins HB. Heavens that's a bit risky surely?

There are basic modern machines in one of the big high Street stores. My daughter thought of getting one to do some crafts, except she's never found the time. 

libby1

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »

I was given a sewing machine for my birthday and did manage to make a lined shopping bag  :banana:

But that's as far as I've got  :-\

Libby
x

Dana

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 05:27:39 AM »

I did a lot of dress designing and sewing in my teens and 20s. I learned how to draft the patterns at high school and I actually enjoyed that part more than the actual sewing, but I used to make up the design just to see what it looked like in reality. Back then I made most of my own clothing, and being quite a fashionable little miss, I always felt quite smug that all my clothes were original designs and I wouldn't see half a dozen of me at the "discos"..lol...

I did consider studying fashion design, but life got in the way, and over the years I got a bit tired of it. Now I can't be bothered. I don't have any interest in fashion anymore, and I'm quite happy to buy off the rack from my local shops. I'm now retired and I thought about taking up my old hobby, but I just don't have the interest anymore, plus I don't have the skinny bitch figure I used to have, so I don't get the same joy out of clothes now..lol...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:29:55 AM by Dana »

bramble

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 03:24:31 PM »

Some sewing machine shops or material shops run 1 day courses for beginners. May be worth a try?

Bramble

babyjane

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »

my seamstress who alters my clothes is also a trained tailoress and she trained at saville row in london.  She makes patterns from scratch by holding the paper against the client and drawing round it.  She never ceases to amaze me how she does it but it works every time.

She makes such a difference to the fit of my clothes as jeans and trousers are always too big on the waist (size 10 to my waist then size 12 below waist)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 04:03:58 PM »

HobbyCraft often run 'work shops'
Pages: 1 [2]