Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Over-sensitive to sound  (Read 10732 times)

SueRoe

Over-sensitive to sound
« on: May 15, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »

Has anyone else found that as they've got older they're less tolerant of sound? I find all sorts of daily sounds (traffic, background music, barking dogs, lad on a moped, the kettle boiling, the bathroom fan, etc etc) make me stressed and miserable. And if the noise is caused by thoughtlessness (slammed doors at midnight, too-loud radios) I can get in a right tizzy! Am I just an unrealistic, intolerant, misery-guts to love peace and quiet and hate the noise of modern life?? (God that makes me sound about ninety!)

dazned

Re: Over-sensitive to sound
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »

me too  ;D

dazned

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:06:47 PM »

grumpy old women ! :rofl:

littleminnie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:18:48 PM »

Me too (but not all the time, which is even stranger).

TropicalVon69

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »

Yip me too and only 45 but not all the time either....worse during period dfinitely x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »

I've always liked a quiet life and unnecessary noise gets on my nerves.

I have had to be restrained when shopping in teen stores ...I want them to turn the music down so I CAN HEAR MYSELF THINK  ;D

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 06:54:36 PM »

Mad isn't it. We probably thought nothing of having our eardrums blasted on Friday & Saturday nights in our teens. Now noises seem so invasive.

Our eldest GD loves nothing better than a trip into Claire's accessories for some new hair accessory. Last time you could hear her singing loudly to music in the shop, word perfect she was too. Old grandmother here couldn't even work out what the words were supposed to be because music was pretty loud. Maybe that's a blessing of course.  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 07:36:08 PM »

I can't tolerate noise at all, especially when I have a migraine.
Apparently, sound sensitivity is an indicator of migraines (along with light sensitivity).

Ok, so what, you may say, but I used to play the French horn, and ladies, I was loud. My horn teacher used to wheel me in to demonstrate to callow youths, that if a skinny girl could make a loud noise, then so could they   ::)
Sadly, I just can't tolerate that amount of noise now  :(

Dulciana

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 09:48:06 PM »

I used to play the French horn, and ladies, I was loud. My horn teacher used to wheel me in to demonstrate to callow youths, that if a skinny girl could make a loud noise, then so could they   ::)
I can just imagine it, Limpy!   ;D

peri

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 09:55:55 PM »

Me too, though it's definitely got worse since I've been premenopausal.  The thing I can't stand are adverts on tv so I always mute them

SueRoe

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »

Thanks ladies. Limpy and Sparkle - I too am very sensitive to bright light and I get migraines. Looks like you might be right about a link.

Meg

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 01:20:56 AM »

I am definitely super-sensitive to noise since menopause. I have always preferrred peace and quiet and my classical music.  Cities and neighbourhoods can be extremely noisy, neighbours lacking in consideration sometimes.  Sirens from ambulances, police can be really bothersome.  I relish quietness.

Meg

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »

I have always preferrred peace and quiet and my classical music.  Meg
What classical music do you like to listen to, Meg?   :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 09:34:46 PM »

If I go into a store and the management won't turn down the musaz I walk out.  Especially when carols begin in September  >:(.

I get tuned into noises that annoy me - dogs barking, car doors slamming, music from open house windows.  This isn't new for me, it's always been a bug bear ……...

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »

Omg my poor ears are being subjected to so much noise today. Cranky enough as it is with very little sleep. Neighbour next door obviously getting something done as lots of banging. Then neighbour across the road is getting outside work done. To top it off council clearing drains. Wish I'd gone into town to get away from the din!
Pages: [1] 2