Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 1600 times)

choc57

Advice needed please
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »

I posted last week. At the time I had a four week wait to see my GP but luckily now have managed to get an appointment for next Wednesday. I ended up last week seeing a non understanding male doctor who said he couldn't help me with my sweats and I would instead have to wait the four weeks and see the female GP I've seen before.
I was taking Elleste Duet 1mg and it was working fine until last summer when my husband died suddenly. It's as if my own estrogen levels fell through the floor, my bleed stopped, the sweats came back and my hair started to fall out. Thankfully my hair is now growing back. I came off the hrt in January after 11 months, my GP feels a year is long enough to take it and as it was no longer working it seemed pointless to stay on. However the sweats are now back with avengeance at night but not as bad during the day as before I went on hrt and I posted last week to see if anyone had any joy with anything other than hrt. I'd previously tried all the herbal routes to no avail. I'm now wondering about going back on hrt if my GP will let me. No sleep and grieving is not a good mixture so I think she'll be understanding.
I'm 58 and had my last natural period in May 2013 so when 9 months later I went on hrt I had to go on the type that gives a bleed but surely now at my age I'm through the menopause and could go on something else. So I wondered what can be recommended. Presumably I'm going to need a higher dose of estrogen. Would patches be suitable? I like the idea of not having to remember to take a tablet. Please let me know what's worked for others x

ancient runner

Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »

Sorry I haven't experience of full HRT but wanted to say - fight on! Your GP sounds like a prize twit. Hope an expert will be along soon.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:57:51 AM »

I can't really help as I don't have much experience on different hrt just to say I'm on 2 mg elleste solo (no progestrrone) and I did try the conversion to same by patch but got a 4 day horrible migraine so was told to take it off immediately but also, I don't have low levels of oestrogen (it's low prog which is my problem )

And, I couldn't not say how sorry I am for the loss of your husband, you've had so much to deal with bless your heart xx

Annie

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:10:28 PM »

Hi choc57
I'm 59 and went back on HRT 6 months ago. I am using Oestrogel with Utrogestan on a monthly basis which gives a bleed as I'm not good on progesterones generally.  It tends to be the combined HRTs that bring the breast cancer risk so I prefer to use as little progesterone as possible and Utrogestan is described by many gynaes as 'breast friendly'.  This is a good regime as the progesterone is kinder, makes you sleep better and you can take it continuously if you want.
However, I do wonder whether you could try some Citalopram, which is a SRRI, that my gynae recommended to me if my current regime didn't help.
Sleepless nights because of the sweats are so debilitating.  DG x