Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Putting Ovestin somewhere else?  (Read 3368 times)

Roz

Putting Ovestin somewhere else?
« on: May 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »

Hi there everyone - lovely to join you all.  I have just started using Ovestin cream and it is burning my vagina quite painfully.  I wondered if until the estriol started working I could use it on my inner thighs, labia area - then try vaginal insertion again in a few days when I had a bit of estrogen working in the tissues?  Has anyone else used Ovestin cream outside the vagina - on the skin anywhere?  Many thanks.

Hurdity

Re: Putting Ovestin somewhere else?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 07:46:36 PM »

Hi Roz

:welcomemm:

You can put Ovestin cream on the labia and outer area around the vaginal entrance but there isn't much point in putting it on your inner thighs because it is a very low concentration and there is very little systemic absorption (ie into the body). It is designed for local use as there are lots of oestrogen receptors in the vaginal area, urethra etc. Also estriol binds well to the beta receptors in the vagina (think I have this right).

I rub the weaker cream ( Gynest) into the outer areas but have not used Ovestin which is 10 x as strong.

Sorry to hear about the burning and not sure what to suggest though. Maybe try Vagifem?

Hurdity x