Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT update  (Read 3939 times)

Joyce

HRT update
« on: May 13, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »

As some of you will know I have been very gradually reducing my HRT over last year or so. Took a while to adjust to Estradot 25, then started cutting them in half. GP suggested cutting into quarters, but I said that was too fiddly considering how small they are. So she suggested continuing on half a patch but only changing once a week. I wasn't sure to be honest, as was worried about highs & lows during the week. She said as I was on such a low dose I might cope OK. So now been using this new regime for about 6 weeks now. Initially I felt rather hot occasionally & had sweats. But now my body seems to be adjusting pretty well to this regime. I plan to continue like this for a few more months, at least until after my holiday. GP is prepared to increase my Citalopram to help if flushes/sweats become bothersome. Fingers crossed I will have managed to come off HRT by my 60th in a years time.  Certainly been much better than the cold turkey of 5 years ago!  :)

dazned

Re: HRT update
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 05:56:43 PM »

Thats good to hear ,long may it continue !  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »

Hi cubagirl

Glad your body is adjusting - but this is probably because you have replaced the estrogen with Citalopram which deals with hot flushes and anxiety (which can develop as oestrogen is reduced). I am puzzled as to why you have decided to do this and want to stop HRT at 60 but obviously I understand that's your choice (I presume?)!

Personally there is no way I would want to replace oestrogen with ADs though! Yes I agree cold turkey is awful - I only tried it for 3 months before going back to my patch!  :)

Hurdity x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »

I'm already on the Citalopram for anxiety 10 mg per day.  So much pressure to come off HRT by 60. Not many sympathetic GPs around. Meno consultant told me 60 was the limit as I've been on it for a very long time 20+ years.

I'd be quite happy to stay on HRT, but have gradually reduced in case one day I'm told I'm not allowed it any more. Not planning on increasing Citalopram as I haven't found flushing too bad.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »

Glad it's going well CG. It's a journey most of us will have to make at one point so a success story is very encouraging.

Honeybun
X

bramble

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »

I reduced slowly as well CG over  a period of about 5-6 months. I did find that every time I reduced my dose (tablets), my sleep was disturbed for about a couple of weeks each time. But happy to say that apart from a few hot flushes it went fine. Eventually stopped and no return of symptoms. Do find that I do not have as much energy as I did.

Bramble

peegeetip

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »

The last magazine available on the MM site had a similar question from a 70 year old reader still having s.

Doctor Currie explained that it was her choice if she wishes to continue with HRT.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/issue39/#p=8
Page 8

Also the latest from British Menopause Society have stated that there should be no limit to how long we take our HRT.

http://www.thebms.org.uk/statementpreview.php?id=1

I suggest you print this off and give it to your doc   >:(
Dare I be so bold that we should pin both these to our doctors notice board and see the reactions  :o

I hear what you say about unsympathetic doctors but they won't be the ones to deal with other aspects of stopping in the longer term.

The doc's out there really need to update themselves on this 60th birthday rubbish.

Lovely, here's your bus pass, hand back that pack of HRT (which would be free) and book yourself in for a blue rinse whilst your at it pet! :)

:-*
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:23:14 AM by peegeetip »

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »

Lovely, here's your bus pass, hand back that pack of HRT (which would be free) and book yourself in for a blue rinse whilst your at it pet! :)

;D ;D ;D I'll see how things go. Will also make sure I have patches in reserve just in case.

skkb

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:35:50 AM »

On HRT for 12 years, quite happy, had reduced to a very low dose. Lady doctor "encouraged" me to come off......scared me really......so I did. Worst thing I've done, horrendous sweats and no sleep.....3 months without HRT now. Saw my own doctor last week, he is happy for me to go back on it if Symptoms don't ease and I want my life back, so that was reassuring!!

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »

Having tried on various occasions to come off,  having someone on your side skkb is a good thing. It was my GP who told me to go back on it about 5 years ago after a break of 8 months.

I'm still coping fairly well on my very low dose. Occasional flush/sweat but not too bad really considering. I've just ordered more patches as a back up, so know if needs be I can up the dose again.