Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: feeling rubbish, am I normal?  (Read 2764 times)

TennisLover

feeling rubbish, am I normal?
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »

Hi everyone, i've just joined this site because things have suddenly got much worse for me.  I'm 52, only 3 months since my last period and so things have time to get much worse (according to my doctor).  Today is my third day of exhaustion, aches and pains, fuzzy-headedness, inability to concentrate or sometimes to find the right words when I'm speaking, and now I've just come home from work early and as I left the building I burst into tears.   Still feeling emotional - if I think about something nice (my lovely hubby or friends) I find myself welling up.

Went to see my GP yesterday and she sent me for loads of blood tests but I'm sure it's hormonal.  I guess she's just eliminating things.  She tried to put me off HRT, but I'm relatively fit and healthy and have no contra-indications in my family history.    I've taken Evening Primrose Oil and Starflower for years, maybe I should increase the dose?  The hot flushes are getting unbearable, to the point where we have the window open at night and i wake up in a lake of freezing water.

Is this typical?  If so, any ideas you have would be really appreciated.  Thanks

GypsyRoseLee

Re: feeling rubbish, am I normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:00:57 PM »

You are very, very normal for a woman suffering with menopausal symptoms. Hundreds of ladies on just like you. I'm 44 but have already started with the random tearfulness. But I especially suffer with low mood and anxiety. Never had these until a year ago.

Really don't understand why your GP doesn't want you to try HRT? Very odd. HRT was designed for women exactly like you. There's no need to suffer like this. Is there another GP you could speak to, who is more informed about HRT and the current types.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 02:04:12 PM »

GPs  :bang: :bang: :bang:  the reason ladies are fobbed off is because HRT costs, it also takes time to sort something suitable for ladies as it is Trial and Error, etc., etc., etc……..

Have a read of the menus, top of screen and ask away.  Does your Surgery have a Practice Nurse who may well be more au fait with HRT !

TennisLover

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »

Thank you for your advice.  My GP was saying that it was too early for HRT for me.  Maybe because she's only 30-something!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:23:33 PM »

Actually - it is NEVER too early - have a look at the Daisy net-work (details above), run off the front page and give it to her along with details of MM Forum.   ;)

Ask away!  At 30 menopause obviously isn't on her radar  :sigh: ……..

Here it is:

"The Daisy Network Premature Menopause Support Group is a registered charity for women who have experienced a premature menopause. Premature menopause (also called premature ovarian failure and premature ovarian insufficiency) is defined as the onset of menopause before the age of 40 and affects one per cent of women" ……..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:26:17 PM by CLKD »

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »

I think GPS shy away from hrt sometimes when they don't understand it

I've been on oestrogen since I was 32, ovarian failure following a hysterectomy and now my progestrrone level has plummeted giving me symptoms but he's scared to involve progestrrone to the mix so is referring me to a gynaecologist, there 'might ' be a light at the end of my dark tunnel

But I wouldn't let it drop, I've gone on and on and on

Annie

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »

Hi TennisLover

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others - a low or medium dose HRT at this point should restore your oestrogen levels and prevent the extreme dips which can give rise to low mood.

How on earth can your GP say that when the average age of menopause ( ie complete cessation of periods) is 51/52!!!

Do have a read of this great article about the peri-menopause:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:42 PM »

I would say too, from where I'm sitting, that you are 'within normal limtis'!

TennisLover

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I feel much better today, mainly because I feel normal  ;)