Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: VA main symptom but topical oestrogen not doing the job any more  (Read 1941 times)

ancient runner

Hello - using Estring which is fab and gives you daily dose of oestrogen amounting to 49mcg (?) a week - same as old Vagifem dose. However, I think it's now not quite enough - have just done a reloading using Vagifem and while I am having a bit of a half-hearted period, pain and soreness are returning.
Seeing doc tomorrow for prescription review (and also as a liver lesion discovered during an ultrasound last week - radiographer doesn't think is sinister) and not sure whether to ask for low dose full HRT. Is there anything else I could try, ladies? And how much effect does full HRT have on your nether regions? I know I will probably have to use something local too.
Background: peri, wonky periods, spotting, no proper period for about 8 weeks now but weeks of spotting and just started getting very hot sometimes in the night. Could get away with local HRT if it was powerful enough to work. Would be very happy with Estring and twice weekly Vagifem but suspect it's not allowed...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA main symptom but topical oestrogen not doing the job any more
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »

The occasional re-load may be necessary as your hormones dip and dive.  If I find symptoms returning I use every night for a week and see how it feels after.  A certain amount of self-medication is often necessary.

Let us know how you get on!

Dancinggirl

Re: VA main symptom but topical oestrogen not doing the job any more
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »

ancient runner - I have had to start back on systemic HRT because the Estring wan't really enough. i jus use a Vagifem once a week to top up my local oestrogen. As you are getting some more peri symptoms it could be worth your while trying both systemic and local HRT.   I do still use MultiGyn Actigel every evening which helps to reduce any itching and discomfort.
If you go for systemic HRT then I'd try Femston 1/10 first - kinder progesterone so more likely to suit you - don't let them fob you off with the cheaper preparations like Elleste Duet or Prempac with the harsher progesterone.
Let us know how you get on.  DG x