Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Saw Consultant Today. Bit Disappointed.  (Read 1900 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Saw Consultant Today. Bit Disappointed.
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »

Finally after a 5 month wait I got to see my consultant today.

Felt quite dissatisfied with the appointment again. She is warm and welcoming, but basically talks over you and it's very hard to get your point across. She was quite sniffy about my GP prescribing me Estradot 25mg with seperate Utrogestan, said it 'wasn't what I would have suggested.' When I asked why, she just said that wearing a patch and taking separate tablets 'was quite complicated' and that Utrogestan 'was rather expensive'. She was also dismissive of Utrogestan being the best/kindest form of progesterone, too  :-\

What was VERY alarming, was that she saw the locum consultant had prescribed me Evorel Conti back in January and said 'Oh no, certainly that wouldn't have been right for you to take at all. I would never have recommended that' (I was still having regular periods you see). Yet, only a few weeks ago, I had FINALLY got a call back from the clinic and a nurse had confirmed to me that my consultant had 'okayed' the locum's script for me. Very worrying  :-\

She said she would have preferred me on Evorel Sequi. Except in our previous consultations she had suggested separate oestrogen and progesterone because of my history of PMS  :-\ I got anxious thinking she was going to insist I changed my regime, and I did blurt that my separate oestrogen/prog' seemed to be working well.

She then went on to extol the virtues of the Mirena coil to me for several minutes. I eventually managed to get a word in edgeways and tell her that I HAD tried the Mirena 10 years ago, and had not tolerated it well at all. Acne and weight gain and endless spotting. We had already had the EXACT same conversation when I last saw her.

But she said the Mirena was still something to consider in future years, especially if I wanted to stay on HRT into my 60s because it would be more convenient. So that just TRASHES all the nonsense peddled by GPs who insist you can only take HRT for a max of 5 years (I am only 44). 

Lastly, she said my dose of oestrogen patch was very low and she would prefer to have me on a 50mg patch. But she said the higher dose probably wouldn't protect me better against the dip I have with my withdrawl bleed. With that said, I managed to squeeze a few more words into the conversation and mentioned I didn't want a dip just before we went on holiday in two weeks time. She just told me to stop taking the Utrogestan (been taking it for 3 days now) and just re-start taking it after we get back off holiday. She was very casual about that. She said so long as I allowed my body a bleed every 8 weeks or so, then that was fine and I could juggle my cycle to suit my lifestyle  :o

She insisted that she hadn't seen the results of the three blood tests that she'd ordered for me to have done last year. Except she HAD. She discussed the results of them with me in our previous consultation before Xmas. They all came back normal, which was what she was expecting they would do.

Then at the end of it all, she said that her gut feeling was to leave me on my current regime and to see me again in November. And she didn't give me a script for a higher dose patch???

So, all in all I feel it was a bit of a wash out of an appointment. It was very much wham, bahm, thank you Ma'am. And that I was just a name and a number. I didn't get to say much at all and I didn't get to answer the questions I wanted answers to. I'm so grateful that I have this place and all of you. And, I'm so lucky that this first HRT I have tried seems to be doing the trick.

honeybun

Re: Saw Consultant Today. Bit Disappointed.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »

I really hope you were not paying for this consultation as she sounds a nightmare.

We really don't need this kind of consultant.

At the moment you are trialling a regime that is suiting you. Stick with that and then if you get a return of symptoms then you can increase.

To my mind, and I know some of the forum will disagree, the lowest amount of HRT that you can take for symptom control is the best way to go.
Most of us, depending on our GPs will have to stop at some point so the least amount you can get by on must be the best way to go.

I hope you have a great symptom free holiday.

Honeybun
X

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:02 PM »

Hi Honeybun

Luckily I am not paying. She mainly works as a private consultant but does one clinic per week for the NHS. I assume she must give her private patients more time and attention. I very much hope so  ::)

She was also already writing up my notes still during the consultation which I thought was rather off?

But I agree with you that if I am happy on the lowest dose of HRT then that's what I should stick with for now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »

You've sort of answered your question.  Maybe she is menopausal but it is a worry that she had already discussed your blood results then  :-\ denied seeing them.  I wonder if she thought you were another patient? 

Stick to your regime.  Keep a mood/food diary.  Utrogestan might be expensive - so what, that's not her brief.  If your GP prescribes it and you benefit >shrug< ?

No need to see her again then  ;)