Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Still not feeling any better  (Read 9820 times)

Chi chi

Re: Still not feeling any better
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »

I think for £200+ for 15 minutes of his time I'm entitled. I'd like to know why there's no point in testing my Estrogen levels. I keep telling him my symptoms but he doesn't seem interested in them either??

Annie0710

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »

I know many docs don't do blood tests but let's be honest, at times they are needed! Even if it is to confirm that our symptoms are real

I know Prof Studd has a good name, but honestly, he can't be cheap and surely his fee covers communication?

You need a rapport with the person you are allowing to change your hormone levels

I really feel for you xx

Annie

Annie0710

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »

I think for £200+ for 15 minutes of his time I'm entitled. I'd like to know why there's no point in testing my Estrogen levels. I keep telling him my symptoms but he doesn't seem interested in them either??

I totally agree

Annie

Chi chi

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »

Thanks Annie, I was beginning to think I was asking for too much  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »

â€¦â€¦ however much you pay one doesn't always get the 'results' you need or expect  ::).  You may find that the Fee covered his time, initial advice and any investigations - any more communication is likely to be a separate fee which is perhaps what Prof Studd should have explained. 

I don't know what private consultants cost these days but when I was paying it was £100.00 per hour.  A FULL hour not part of ………. but that would include investigations as well as discussion time. 

You may require something 'else' to lift mood.  Have you tried Citalopram - it can help low mood and also eases hot flushes for some ladies.

Chi chi

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 05:41:17 PM »

His £200 fee doesn't include any blood tests I have to pay extra for them! He doesn't discuss them with me either. They are or have been done at the appt, I then get the results the following day by which time he's already treated me??

I am currently on Escitalopram but have tried most if not all AD's since having my first daughter 21 years ago! I recently started Lamotrigine as an add on for anxiety.

pepperminty

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 06:01:29 PM »

Hi Estelle,

It sounds to me like you wont get any joy from Dr Studd. You have a right to feel aggrieved at the lack of bedside manner. Perhaps trying someone like Nick Pannay , may be better. I have heard that he is good. This may be a positive move for you .Let us know how you get on.

Peppermintyxx

dazned

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 06:06:06 PM »

I know we all wish a simple blood test would rule things in or out like for instance diabetes but unfortunately with estrogen progesterone etc it simply isnt the case ! Thats why they dont tend to do them ,it would only give you a snapshot on any given day. My nephew works in this field as he said to me I would need my bloods taken everyday for a month to get any true correlation to work from.
Just as an aside I pay £120 and get a full hour,more if necessary,he is a really lovely man ,very easy to talk to and if I say I dont understand he explains it more simply without belittling me.

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 07:53:50 PM »

I thought any bleed was the lining shedding? How do you know if all the lining has shed??

Yes the bleed is the lining shedding but the amount of progesterone needed to shed all the womb lining is dependent on the dose ie more oestrogen needs more progesterone. You only know if it hasn't all been shed if you get endometrial thickening which can cause unscheduled (oestrogen breakthrough) bleeding. That's why it's best to take the prescribed dose - but if Studd himself isn't worried then that should be OK although perhpas he assumes that most women who see him (because his fees are so high!) woudl also pay to have regular scans etc - I don't know!

Anyway the more you say the more I think you would be better off with someone else! At this time of our lives we need sympathy, understanding, clear explanation, and to be listened to and treated as intelligent women.

Hurdity x

Chi chi

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 08:39:02 PM »

Thank you everyone for the replies  :)
I totally agree Hurdity! i don't feel like he takes my concerns or questions seriously  ???
When he mentioned me possibly having a hysterectomy he told me it wouldn't be him who would perform it as he's retired from surgery, I dread to think what he was like to his patients with questions about their surgery  :o :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »

That however, isn't your worry  :-\ ……. some Consultants are not good at explaining stuff, I've worked with many  ::) …… knew their stuff but not how to communicate information.

How do you feel now you've been 'chatting' on here?  Problem shared and all that …….. hysterectomy can bring it's own raft of problems.  [enough wind to fly a kite apparently  :o ].  Little steps?

lancashirelass

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »

Sorry he is.talking rubbish the only way you can.determine if the implant is.working is by getting your level tested.  I do know this as.ive had implants before i had last ovary removed and yes level can go up and.down if.you still have ovaries but it gives an indication as to whether implant is working well or.not.  a 50 implant gives.levels usually of 300 to 500. 
Also your gp could do a.test you need to ask!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:21:00 PM by lancashirelass »

Chi chi

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »

I feel a bit better knowing that people agree with me about my treatment, I've no plans in the immediate future to go ahead with a hysterectomy.
Lancashirelass, can I ask how you got on with the implants? Are you still on them?
At my last appt my levels weren't checked, I didn't have any blood tests so the only figures I have are from 11 September which showed my oestrodial was 1001 pmol and my testosterone was 8.3 this is flagged as the range is 0-1.8 but this wasn't discussed so I presume he wasn't bothered??

My testosterone pellet was 200, he said the usual was 100 but as I was his last patient of the day he said he would have to half the pellet and the other half would go to waste so he said I might as well have it all  ???

lancashirelass

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 04:56:46 PM »

Im still on them they take at least a.month if.not.more to kick in.  Your levels were much higher than mine.  I wod.never have a 100 test i have a 50 as 100 way too much and as testosterone converts to oestrogen i think you msy be too high.  8.3 for test is too high.  Mine is.less than 2. My.highest e.level has.been 400 to 500 without topup i dont have any ovaries though.  Before ovary removal my level went once to 1000 didnt suit.me too.high.  personally i think his aftercare is.poor ive.heard similar tales from others he doesnt like it if you say his regime not working.  You need to get.gp to test your levels, consider moving to nick panay or joan pitkin both excellent.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:53:53 PM by lancashirelass »

Chi chi

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 05:57:32 PM »

Thank you  :) I'm looking into finding someone else and very interested in the 2 you mention but not sure wether to look a bit closer to home? How do we pick? There's so many  :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3