Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Struggling to make a decision. Any advice is very welcome.  (Read 2937 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Only started HRT 4 weeks ago. Am now on day 13 of my 'new' cycle. I 'should' start the Utro on Saturday night (day 15).

But if I wait until then I will still be having my withdrawl bleed as we fly on holiday. Last month my mood really dipped and my anxiety came back with a vengeance on the first day of my withdrawl bleed and didn't go away until 2 days after my bleed finished. Have felt absolutely fine since, though.

Really don't want to be feeling low and anxious as we fly on holiday. If I'm as bad as I was last month, there's a good chance I won't be able to make myself get on the plane. And even if I do manage to fly, I don't want the first couple of days holiday spoilt.

So, would it be okay to start my Utro tonight? This should mean my bleed will have finished slightly earlier and so I 'should' be starting to feel much better as we fly.

Or...........do I trust that the oestrogen will have had a few more weeks to stabilise me, so maybe I won't get the same nasty dip when my withdrawl bleed starts this month?

The other alternative is, to keep to the cycle and start the Utro on day 15 and finish on day 26. But use diazepam to ease me over those really difficult days when I have the bleed. But there's a good chance I will have to drive to Heathrow so won't be able to tackle that if I'm on diazepam.

I honestly don't know what to do? Any advice is very welcome.

honeybun

Re: Struggling to make a decision. Any advice is very welcome.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »

Just to confuse you further...sorry. There is another option.

You could miss the Utrogestan this month and take it when you come back. Really can't see it would do any harm. Most people who are on the pill jig things around occasionally. Some women on the forum do a long cycle regime all the time.

Can you ask your GP or practise nurse about delaying a bleed.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:59:38 PM »

I agree with Honeybun - another option, speak with a Pharmacist, they have private rooms these days! and let us know  ;)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:59:53 PM »

Oh crickey, another option  :-\

But that's a very good point honeybun. I used to sometimes run 2 packs of the Pill together so I wouldn't have a period if it was going to be inconvenient.

Must admit I am feeling very good just wearing the Estradot 25mg patch. Sleep is fine too.

But is there a chance I will still get breakthrough bleeding even if I don't take the Utro this month? Might be annoying while we're on holiday. But I'd rather have to deal with that, than risk having that awful mood dip/anxiety when my proper withdrawl bleed comes?

I am actually seeing my consultant next Tuesday. But I really need to 'know' what to do before then, especially as regards taking the Utro. There's no point asking the GP at my practice. My proper GP is away and the other one knows less about HRT than I do (she told me to wear my patch near my breasts and had never heard of Utrogestan).

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:01:08 PM »

What is your 'gut' feeling?  Could you send an e-mail to your Consultant or ring his Secretary?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:07:47 PM »

Very good question CLKD. You're very wise  :)

I think my 'gut' feeling is to not mess around with my cycle too much. Especially as it's still very early days and I'm still feeling my way. I've had 8 straight days of no anxiety, good mood and good sleep but that could still change.

I guess that if I do have the dip with my withdrawl bleed at least I 'know' it's only very short term and it will pass. But, I know from bitter experience that when I'm 'bad' I find it almost impossible to believe that my low mood/anxiety will ever lift again.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »

:bighug:  I'm exactly the same.  When anxiety hits it floors me.  No amount of explaining to myself why! I have to reach for the emergency drug. 

However, you have started the HRT and you will be on holiday.  If you take plenty of pads and undies that's one issue out of the way.  Do you have any anti-anxiety meds.? i.e. short-term Valium?

Did you say where you are going  ;)  :-X

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »

It's so annoying isn't it. Being so stubbornly irrational. I keep quite a detailed mood diary but even when I can read back, in my own writing, and see that the mood dip during my withdrawl bleed did go away again, I KNOW my anxiety will convince me that this time it won't go away and it will be with me forever. Bonkers, I know.

I do have some valium. But only about 5 tabs left (5mg).

I'm off to the Caribbean  :)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »

Oh how lovely!  Go GIRL!

What we know logically and what happens physically is different - I've been at this anxiety lark since the age of 3  :'( and knowing the whys and wherefores never helps …………  :sigh:

Cossie packed    ?   ;-)

pepperminty

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »

Hi GRL,

As you know I am exactly the same with the PMT, absolutely distraught .But like me at least you are for-warned now .Also you may find being on your hols less stressful and therefore the PMT easier to cope with.

Maybe copy out some of the useful bits of the threads on a sheet of paper to take with you and read in an anxiety emergency ,when you are having a wobbly.

On a lighter note thank goodness that female GP didn't suggest you take the patch orally . That would have been worse. :D

I hope you have a fabulous holiday .

Peppermintyxx