Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Back to work meeting with HR  (Read 1850 times)

SallyG

Back to work meeting with HR
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »

After being signed off by Occ Health and GP for 5 months, I had my back to work meeting with my boss and HR this morning. It was really positive and they all seemed to want to help me back to work. I took my union rep in as suggested and her feedback was that it was really positive. I had good advice from friends who work in employment law and coaching and they told me to prepare, which I did and Im so glad I did. People on this blog also advised me and I took the advise. Like going in to have coffee and lunch with colleagues, walking into work just to re-connect with the place and generally working on a positive mindset. It has been a tough journey for me - work has been a massive obsession for me my whole adult life - but I have had to just accept what has been happening to me and find ways of dealing with it. HRT and AD meds have playing a big part in my recovery from what presented itself as depression and anxiety. Hard to know what was what but it doesn't matter - I don't think we really know the half of what hormones do to our bodies and minds-hopefully we are getting closer to it all the time. It sounds strange but knowing that other women are going through the same really helps me and this blog has been and continues to be a lifeline. My colleagues at work are all female and 10 years older than me, but don't seem to have suffered that much - or are not letting on. I just wish people talked about it more. It would have helped me to prepare for it - and I tell everyone who will listen to me about it so that they can do just that. All I know is I have tried everything to raise my mood from HRT, meditation, prayer, food changes, CBT, counselling and it has worked. I just want to keep going forward in my recovery. Thanks everyone.

Sallyx

2cats

Re: Back to work meeting with HR
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »

Fantastic news Sally!  Just keep going and be determined to get your life back.  As someone who can look back now with some distance between meltdown and where I am now, I can categorically say that things do get better with time and the right patches!!

Of course, there are still ups and downs but gathering knowledge and techniques to help us through the downs, truly helps (imho).

I still have some fears to face that only emerged during my highly anxious phase, but when I look how far I've come, I know that at some point, I will tackle those last few issues (flight, foreign holiday, motorway driving!!)  lol

Best of luck xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »

:medal:  that's a huge hurdle faced and got over!  I think that the work place can move on and employees can be 'left behind' but it seems as though your colleagues are prepared to ease you back into your job!  Do you have contact with them outside of work, perhaps a coffee and cake together one evening or over a weekend might give you other things to discuss as well as getting to 'know' each other ?

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »

Sounds as if your workplace are rooting for you - shame they're not all like that.  That's the biggest step out of the way - will you have a phased return to work?

SallyG

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 05:15:08 AM »

Thank you yes I am having a phased return. Everyone has been very supportive and there is help available but you have to fight for it sometimes - that has been my experience. GPs have been good but pretty un-informed about HRT and the different types available. I constantly be-moan the fact that they are no well women's type clinics in my area as there used to be. Considering how many women are affected……anyway I know Im preaching to the converted……thank goodness for this website and blog and everyones wisdom.
Hugs
Sally

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »

Crikey - couln'dt you sleep  ;D  ::)

Let us know how you get on!