Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Post-menopausal women and Miren Coil  (Read 3736 times)

janet withers

Post-menopausal women and Miren Coil
« on: May 14, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »

Any one over 60 out their - had polyps removed and the Miren coil fitted - if so what symptoms have you had since having coil fitted?
 :-\

Dancinggirl

Re: Post-menopausal women and Miren Coil
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »

I had a Mirena fitted post meno - I was 55. It was fine really - the best option for me at the time. You may get some break through bleeding or spotting for the first few weeks and perhaps some mild tummy cramps. Spotting can continue for up to 6 months but mine settled after about 10-12 weeks. I did feel slightly sedated for the first 6 months with the initial burst of progesterone but this simply meant I slept really well which was bliss.
Are you using some oestrogen for meno symptoms? DG x

janet withers

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:31:49 AM »

thank you dancing girl - yes I've got  spotting which worried me and also cramps - I only had the Miren coil fitted two weeks ago.
how long ago did you have the coil fitted?
I was told when I saw my consultant I should have a hysterectomy as I didn't need my parts any more!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:04:58 AM »

I had my coil for over 4 years which the recommended time for menopausal women - I am now 59 and after I had the coil removed I had a break from HRT for a year but needed to go back on HRT due to VA and bladder problems so I'm using a different regime now.
For you it is very early days having had the Mirena fitted - I would expect some cramps and spotting for a few weeks more - it may depend on whether you were having bleeds before? You don't say why you've had the Mirena fitted? If a hysterectomy is recommended then maybe the Mirena is an interim measure to prevent further polyps etc. forming? If you are getting menopause symptoms like flushes etc. then you should certainly be able to add some oestrogen and if you do have a hysterectomy then you just need oestrogen to keep the symptoms at bay.
If you are over 60 then I expect the option of having some oestrogen may depend on how far into post meno you are.
I won't worry at this stage - what you're telling us sounds very normal after having a Mirena fitted and it should settle over the next few weeks.  DG x