Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Relaxing CD - can anyone recommend please?  (Read 9044 times)

purplenanny

Relaxing CD - can anyone recommend please?
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »

Hi ladies

I am having real trouble getting off to sleep. shin splints, restless legs, a lot of worry and a fast beating heart not helpful! :(

Searching for a soothing CD to relax me and send me off to dreamland. I have several, but each one seems to have an irritating loud instrument :o or varying levels of sound :-\. I end up being more restless than when I start! :bang:

I do like (gentle) piano music, I don't like 'nature sounds' CD's and I would prefer a CD that is not all 'samey'.

Gosh, I sound very fussy, but I really do need help getting to sleep. Can anyone help please? :thankyou:

PN x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Relaxing CD - can anyone recommend please?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »

For the rest legs, take Neurofen 30 mins. before bed and try to eat lots of bananas - I find 2 small ones or a large cured the problem within 5 nights.

As for music - for years++ I had radio2 on beside the bed.  I don't need anything stimulating ……… a mix of piano solos, i.e. Moonlight Sonata?  Have a look-see in the charity shops, that's where I find lots of suitable CDs  ;)

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »

I have a bird song cd that has babbly brooks and waterfalls and..........a woodpecker.  Comes as a shock.  To be fair, it was the Dawn Chorus section that was supposed to give you a gentle wakening.  First time, I thought that something had happened to the cd player  :o

I have heard that Winnie the Pooh, read by Alan Bennett is soporific.

Dulciana

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »

Hi Purplenanny.   As CLKD says, the Moonlight Sonata (by Beethoven) is really soothing - make sure it's the first movement, though, because the rest of it is much more upbeat!  You might also like the three "Gymnopedies" by Eric Satie, as these are very gentle, ambient piano pieces.    Or the Nocturnes, by Chopin.  And although it's not piano, the slow movement of the Organ Symphony by Saint Saens is completely dreamy............!

Hope you find something you like!   :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:58:13 AM by Dulciana »

Dulciana

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »

the Dawn Chorus section that was supposed to give you a gentle wakening.  First time, I thought that something had happened to the cd player  :o
;D

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »

Does the sound of the sea turn you off too.

I have a lovely one that just plays waves rolling in and out. It's very soothing.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 02:39:32 PM »

When I had the radio beside the bed I would pretend to ice skate to suitable tunes ……. I wasn't very good but it sent me to sleep  ;D ……… let us know what you decide to buy?  Matt Monroe, Nat Kingcole and Louis Amstrong have gentle, soothing voices  :-* and if we watched Time Team, we were soon snoring on the settee  ::)

bramble

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »

I play the Glenn Harrold relaxation cd when in bed. Soon sends me to sleep. It is a talking cd.
Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »

Talks about what exactly?

bramble

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »

Talks about breathing, relaxing muscles, visualization etc etc. It lasts for 3/4 hour but I am sound asleep after the first ten minutes.
Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 04:04:01 PM »

Kama Sutra CDs from Amazon. I have downloaded two. You can listen to samples online. Think it was Silverlady, who has now left the forum, who suggested it to me. Very relaxing music.

purplenanny

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 04:05:20 PM »

I have a bird song cd that has babbly brooks and waterfalls and..........a woodpecker.  Comes as a shock.  To be fair, it was the Dawn Chorus section that was supposed to give you a gentle wakening.  First time, I thought that something had happened to the cd player  :o
:rofl:

When I had the radio beside the bed I would pretend to ice skate to suitable tunes …….
;D I am a ballerina (in my thoughts) CLKD and sometimes in a beautiful ballgown dancing in a big hall (like the Victorian days!)

Talks about breathing, relaxing muscles, visualization etc etc. It lasts for 3/4 hour but I am sound asleep after the first ten minutes.
Bramble

Oh dear no Bramble - can't be doing with all the talking ::)

Does the sound of the sea turn you off too.

I have a lovely one that just plays waves rolling in and out. It's very soothing.

Honeybun
X
Not sure about the waves - I do like the sound of them on the beach, but not sure if I am trying to go to sleep - maybe. What is it called HB?

Hi Purplenanny.   As CLKD says, the Moonlight Sonata (by Beethoven) is really soothing - make sure it's the first movement, though, because the rest of it is much more upbeat!  You might also like the three "Gymnopedies" by Eric Satie, as these are very gentle, ambient piano pieces.    Or the Nocturnes, by Chopin.  And although it's not piano, the slow movement of the Organ Symphony by Saint Saens is completely dreamy............!

Now these all sound lovely - yes dreamy Dulciana, that's what I am looking for I think!

CLKD - thanks for the advice for restless legs - unfortunately GP has said I should not take Iboprufen (slight kidney malfunction), but I do eat bananas!

Thanks so much ladies, I knew you would come up trumps
PN x x

purplenanny

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 04:07:16 PM »

Thanks CG - that's handy, being able to listen before buying. I didn't know you could do that
PN x x

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

Should have mentioned CDs are by Rajiv Basham. Can't listen to all of them, but worth a try.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »

So ask your GP how it will affect Kidney function on an occasional basis  ::) ……… or what would he/she recommend instead of Nurofen.

There are other potassium-rich foods but not many that I like  ::)
Pages: [1] 2