Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Does anyone think getting hrt is a hassle  (Read 3379 times)

Dandelion

Does anyone think getting hrt is a hassle
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:56:03 PM »

I just went to get my hrt from the chemists today, 100mcg evorel, they normally give me two boxes, they only gave me one today.
I had a load of sh*t from several GP's when I tried to change from femoston as the menopause induced ibs meant I wasn't abosorbing the femoston pills.
Then they said I can't have patches because of some migraine auras I had.
Then I had to privately pay kind Dr Currie who stood up for me and said patches are ok.
The latest doctor said that they will review me at 50, even though I have only been on hrt a year and a half, due to my early menopause.
They asked me how long I wanted to stay on it and I said for life, then they started on about the cancer risks, to which I replied, as it's my body, I would rather run the risk of cancer, quality of life over quantity.
This is just a rant. I'm wondering whether they want us all to go private and get rid of menopausal women from the nhs. I got private patches to use if I run out.
It sometimes takes a month to see a doctor, I only have a month's worth of hrt patches, thank god I have private ones if I run out.
*Takes a nice long slow breath* lol :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Does anyone think getting hrt is a hassle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:00:28 PM »

Don't think it's anything to do with 'going Private'.  It's more likely to be budgets however, it also even more likely to be that GPs have no empthaty regarding menopause and how upsetting symptoms can be.

What did the Pharmacist tell you about why only 1 box, maybe they are short on the Shelf?  What did the Prescription say?

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »

Don't think it's anything to do with 'going Private'.  It's more likely to be budgets however, it also even more likely to be that GPs have no empthaty regarding menopause and how upsetting symptoms can be.

What did the Pharmacist tell you about why only 1 box, maybe they are short on the Shelf?  What did the Prescription say?
Hi CKLD

I finally got evorel on my repeat and I have just looked at it and it says 16 so I will ring the GP again tomorrow or go to boots and query it.
I didn't think at the time, cos obvious things don't cross my mind, I will ask the psychiatrist when I finally get an appointment why this is, cos it's a nuiscance.
Budgets, budgets, budgets, - sigh! yeah, it's all about the money! money! money! - lalalallaa :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »

I have to check my packet before I leave the Surgery because if it's wrong  ::) …………

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »

Think it's all budget related.

Also many GPs, if you have a change in meds, only prescribe for a month at a time, in case new ones don't agree. Again probably more budget related than anything, but makes sense when they're all being forced to make cutbacks.

Grumpymum

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »

With all the chopping and changing I've been doing with my HRT lately and only getting one month's supply at a time, I'm so pleased I got a pre-payment certificate a few months ago.

dazned

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »

Yes I have one too ,they do save money,however last lot was private prescription  :-\

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »

I've been on my elleste solo for years, and have always had 3 months supply on each prescription however a couple of prescriptions ago I picked it up from the pharmacy and there was only one month, pharmacist said that's all he was told to give me.  Queried it with gps and they said they're doing only 1 month at a time now, I complained saying it's not my fault I'm female and menopausal, the Contraceptive pill is free and a choice, this is necessary lol so they changed mine back to 3 months worth

I swear every time I go to pharmacy I've never seen anyone pay, they looked shocked when I get my debit card out !

Annie

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:44 PM »

We don't pay in Scotland, but if it's a new prescription it makes sense to only give a months worth in case it doesn't work.
I have my HRT on repeat. I get six months worth but I have to have a nurses appointement for blood pressure and weight and just a general health check up.
I think that's a good service to be honest.

I know it's easy to critisise the NHS. Other countries would give their eye teeth to have what we have. We take it for granted. It's free at the point of service. Ok we have to wait for an appointement and sometimes our GPs are not what we would want them to be. Of course they have to balance the books and are very budget aware.

But if you consider the alternative.....not what I would want at all.

I think generally we are lucky in this country.

I know many will disagree but what would be their suggestions of something that offered what we get....oh and free.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »

I had a year subscription but now, aged 60+, I get free prescriptions  :bounce:

I have read a book today about a lady living in Sweden who had a terminal illness - she had difficulties getting home support, pretty similar to here it seems  :( - assessments, assessments, assessments  >:(

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 07:15:22 PM »

Maybe it's where I stay, but we have never had anything other that a good service from the NHS. My mother at 92 has no problems in getting everything that she needs including a GP home visit. Call at 8:30 and the GP is there before 1pm. Nurses come in and do her bloods, give her the flu jab. She never goes to the surgery anymore....they all come to her.

My hubby recently had a new treatement for his condition. Again great service.

I think it could be a bit of a lottery as to where you stay in this country.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 07:35:32 PM »

Our GP surgery are good as long as it's during the week.

The local out of hours service is pretty good as long as it's not Christmas or Easter.
On a couple of occasions OH rang  them for advice and somebody was sent out. A couple of years ago a GP was driven out when he had a dire stomach episode. More recently with the heart issue, a first responder was sent out who called an ambulance.

Not sure about requesting a home visit from a GP though.