Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Patches causing itchy skin  (Read 5363 times)

2cats

Patches causing itchy skin
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:33:31 AM »

Hi all,

I have been using Estradot 50 for quite a few months now without issue but just lately, my skin has started to itch where a patch has been, as well as where a patch is (if that makes sense?).

This weekend, the itching has become really annoying and when I looked at my abdomen, there are little rectangles of angry, red skin, where old patches were.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Has anyone got any ideas for preventing this happening?  Also, can the estradot patches go anywhere else but the abdomen...like the thigh, bottom maybe?

Many thanks for any advice given,

:) ???

lancashirelass

Re: Patches causing itchy skin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:53:28 AM »

Buttocks prob best i couldnt use estradot on stomach area

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:21:55 AM »

Agree with LL
May also be worth trying your hips so you have a greater range of sites to try.
Your abdomen may well calm down if you give it a rest for a while.

Grumpymum

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »

Hi 2cats, I have the same problem. I use estradot too but I have had the same problem with femseven and everol. My gp says they use the same adhesive. I get red itchy marks wherever I place the patch although I think it's worse if I put them on my tummy. I think the skin on my bum is harder! A gp has suggested spraying Beconase nasal spray on the site, letting it dry and then applying the patch. I think it has a steroid in it which calms the skin. Personally I haven't noticed any significant improvement when doing this and I sometimes have trouble getting the patch to stick so I've given up with it. So much so I'm thinking of seeing if I can try the gel. Hope by trying another area you have better luck.

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »

Hi all,

I have been using Estradot 50 for quite a few months now without issue but just lately, my skin has started to itch where a patch has been, as well as where a patch is (if that makes sense?).

This weekend, the itching has become really annoying and when I looked at my abdomen, there are little rectangles of angry, red skin, where old patches were.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Has anyone got any ideas for preventing this happening?  Also, can the estradot patches go anywhere else but the abdomen...like the thigh, bottom maybe?

Many thanks for any advice given,

:) ???
I sometimes get this, but it's bruising probs cos I pull the patch off too violently.
I sometimes put the patch at the top of my thigh or on my lower belly at the side.
I change sides sometimes, but I dunno if that makes any difference.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »

I always put patches on my bum cheeks (Estradot) and always pull them off very carefully, and try never to scratch if I feel the area itching. Also I never try to rub off the marks left by the adhesive as I have sensitive skin and would recommend anyone else who is having itchy skin problems to do likewise ( ie leave the marks left behind after you gently peel off the old patch).

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:24:32 PM »

Also I never try to rub off the marks left by the adhesive as I have sensitive skin and would recommend anyone else who is having itchy skin problems to do likewise ( ie leave the marks left behind after you gently peel off the old patch).

Hurdity - I know you're right I really do, but the thought of my flabby lower half covered by black splodges (if it's been black undies) is not for the faint hearted   ;D

2cats

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:23:18 AM »

Thanks everybody for your responses ....but having read the leaflet in the estradot box again, it only mentions applying the patches to your lower abdomen...which obviously puts me off sticking them on any other part of my body!

I'd be interested to know if anyone who sticks them elsewhere was told to do so by a GP etc?

Many thanks

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »

My GP told be to stick may Evorel patches on the body below the waist. She specifically mentioned lower non hairy parts of the abdomen and buttocks. The diagram on the patient leaflet shows an area where the patches should be placed, this looks very like a pair of shorts.

2cats

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »

Hi Limpy,

Yes I used to be on evorel so remember the diagram re wear to place the patches.  However, not sure that this will necessarily apply to Estradot?? :)

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »

See what you mean, but I would have thought things would be the same, not certain why it would be different for Estradot.

I think Hurdity says she uses her bum cheeks, that's good enough for me!

Liz

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »

I changed to gel for this reason.  Tried Femseven and Estradot and I was allergic to both (the adhesive).  Use gel now and no problems.