Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Blood levels  (Read 2712 times)

SJ

Blood levels
« on: August 03, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »

Hi is anyone able to give advice about blood levels?

44 and been experiencing changes since i was 40.  Had a scan and it showed fibroids but nothing major.  Discussed with my GP about taking estrogen in September and for the time being taking Norethisterone to stop periods during my holidays in 2 weeks.  all about controlling the bleeding during the summer as ive been bleeding consistently for 5 weeks with only one week off last week when i took Nore for 2 days.  Been bleeding heavily again for 3 days again now.  Anyhoo, when i saw her 3 weeks ago and got the Nore she did a blood test to confirm the meno, but she said the levels were back and were ok at 44.  what does 44 mean?

I know im not myself, in particular, the anxiety is immense, lack of sleep, irritability, mood swings, tiredness, hot sweats etc.  Is she telling me im not going through the perimenopause? 

Ive asked if i can take citalopram for my mood swings as this has been recommended by a friend who is almost through the meno now.

Can anyone help?

thanks  :o

BrightLight

Re: Blood levels
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:04:31 PM »

Hi SJ
I am not sure I can help with your question but I will try.  Do you know what the GP tested?  Are you saying the result was 44 or was Ok for age 44?  It sounds as if your GP is saying that you are not experiencing perimenopause symptoms - is that right?

My experience is and it's true to say that there is no way of definitively saying you are in one stage or another of perimenopause, it can go on for a short or long while and symptoms come and go.  Hormone levels begin to become inconsistent and that's why changes in bleeding patterns, intermittant physical symptoms and sleep issues etc begin to happen.  The body is adjusting to fluctuating hormones, or at least trying too. :)

Blood tests that test hormone levels are not that useful unless repeated and even then, there could be a period of time where hormone activity is low and then things balance again and periods stabalise and symptoms diminish.

I was told in January from one blood test that I was post menopause - the ladies here explained that this is only a diagnosis once periods have ceased for 12 months, since my 'diagnosis' I have had regular periods, although they have changed and not exactly following a clear pattern.  Previous to this I was experiencing all sorts of issues, with skin, sleep and moods, these are not so much of a problem now -for me, it is a bit of a mystery, but I accept that this is perimenopause and the unknown is the norm and that takes some getting used to.

Talk to your GP again if you are feeling these changes are too much for you or you are unsure that this is perimenopause. x

Briony

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 05:10:54 PM »

I totally agree with what BL says - blood results aren't particularly helpful and most GPs will go on symptoms. From your age and symptoms, based on the experience of posters on here, I'd say you're definitely 'in the peri club' - regardless of what your FSH showed on the day it was taken (I presume it was FSH 44 rather than oestrogen?).

MY FSH, like yours, was 'normal' - yet following an oestrogen test, I learnt that my oestrogen was dipping to post menopause levels. (Sadly, my GP would offer me no support until I had 'proof' it was hormonal - he is now my ex GP and I now have a lovely, 40 something female GP who just 'gets it' and doesn't leave me in tears of frustration!).

One thing I would add that if your oestrogen is low - having just the Norethisterone might make you even more progesterone dominant - which may not help you emotionally? Being an older progesterone, it can be less tolerated by some ladies too (though we're all different - you may get on fantastically with it!).

The crazy fluctuations I got were not able to be controlled by HRT - even though it did help a bit - so I have moved to a low dose combined contraceptive pill until I am nearer 50 when I will switch. It's very much personal preference - some like taking hormones, others are very anti - but if it's something you would consider, I have to say it has helped my moods/anxiety more than anything less I have taken.

Do read through the threads on this forum and you'll quickly see you're not alone,

B x

Briony

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »

PS Just re read your post - Now realise 44 is your age and not your FSH. Sorry! I am 43 (39/40 when this all started) so very similar age. If you get no luck with your GP, I advise switching, ideally to someone with a DRCOG  - they're more likely to have an understanding (and interest in) your situation. It was the best thing I ever did - just wish I had done it years ago.