Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Skin problems, hormones and anxiety.  (Read 10416 times)

Kathleen

Re: Skin problems, hormones and anxiety.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »

Hello honeybun.

Thought I'd chime in a suggest Coconut Oil. It is not a light oil but I like it, plus it has the advantage of being edible should you become peckish whilst slathering it on!

Take care.

K.   

pepperminty

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 04:23:07 PM »

Hi Honeybun,
having dry itchy skin and breakouts of dermatitis myself I can sympathise. The hospital nurse recommended Hydromol ointment for me .You can use it as soap substitute in the shower and as a moisturiser. It also comes in a cream I believe. You can buy it over the counter or by prescription by your GP. If you are having further problems ask to be referred to a dermatologist. The ointment emulsifies very easily with water and does not dry the skin. Also if the skin is thin try not to expose it to the sun without using a high protection sunscreen with both UVA and UVB in.

Pepperminty xx

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »

I have given up using body soaps for a short while because they leave me so dry. I will get a telephone appointement with my GP to see if they can prescribe anything.

I have tried soap substitutes and they are gloopy. I don't like gloopy  ::)

I'm a bit funny about soap anyway...I can't handle a bar of soap...it puts my teeth on edge ....I know very strange.

I used Vaseline intensive care gel this morning and feel less dried up.

I never used to be like this so I think it's lack of hormones for me despite being on HRT.

At least it's not on my face....now that would be difficult to cope with.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »

Can I join in please?

I changed to Aqueous cream several months ago.  Mum used it very successfully for years.

Recently I have changed to E45 facewash and E45 Shower emollient because of the SLS in Aqueous cream.  I was so disappointed when I discovered it contained this as it is relatively inexpensive but I don't like products with it in.

I also don't have a total shower every day as I don't get that dirty.  Some days I just wash my pits and bits  ::)

I am doing very well with the E45 wash so far  :)

Joyce

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »

I use E45 smooth, skin feels fantastic afterwards.

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »

I think I need to have a look around and see what's on offer.

I don't use toothpaste with SLS as it gives me ulcers, so perhaps a kinder body wash is the answer.

Thanks ladies, loads of good suggestions.

Just wish I could get my hands to heal up as they are so painful.

Honeybun
X

thorntrees

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »

Don't know if this will help anybody. Hubby recently had a bacterial skin infection(like cellulitis, but on his face), it was very painful and made him quite ill and required two courses of anti-biotics to clear it up . On his visit to the GP she gave him a sample of a cream called Dermol which is anti bacterial. When we enquired at the chemist to buy it we found that it also comes in a pump dispenser and can be used as a face wash, DH has been using it for a week now and says it is very soothing and certainly his skin looks much better. He has eczema and has used E45 etc in the past but this seems to be a better product for him.

Thorntrees

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 08:53:53 PM »

Our skin alters as we age.  Stands to reason it needs different treatments as and when necessary.

I don't like gloop, particularly if it's on my plate  :-X ……. and as for that bit of runny bit in the egg  :sick02:

BrightLight

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »

Just another product tip for hands - Hemp Hand Protector from the Body Shop :) 

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 02:58:41 PM »

Is that like a glove  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »

I also don't have a total shower every day as I don't get that dirty.  Some days I just wash my pits and bits  ::)

I am doing very well with the E45 wash so far  :)

I'm with you on that one babyjane! There is far too much showering these days - we only had one put in a couple of years ago and when we were all young (speaking for all of us here?) I'm sure we didn't have baths every day!! Some people have 2 or 3 showers a day - think of the energy costs and wasted water.

Also more to the point of this thread - it washes off the natural protective barrier of oils from our skin and anyone who has sensitive skin should try not showering/bathing too often and only using water or products like babyjane suggests when you do have a bath   :)

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »

You are undoubtedly right Hurdity....but I just don't feel right if I don't have my morning shower. A wash down does not hit the spot at all and as for my bed hair  :o, only a wash will tame that.
By the time I have filled the sink, got different cloths for different areas and then washed the areas a shower would have been over and done with.

I do agree it does strip your skin of its natural oils so that's why I don't use soap every day and just make do with warm water.

I never have a bath,just makes me too warm.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »

It's true showers are a comparatively recent thing.
But I feel vile if I don't get my morning shower.
Soap and shampoo aren't applied all over every day, warm water is enough to feel human.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »

Whilst showering this morning I wondered how others do it - I put hot water all over then add shampoo - leave it on as I wash my body with soap or shower gel or what's to hand - rinse from the head downwards.  Personal places get a good soaping and a good rinsing.  Legs and feet last.  Rinse.  Switch off shower.

Wrap warm towel around body, dry hair with another towel: clean down the screens/panels whilst water drips off me … then rub dry.

So no residue left  ;) - if necessary after my evening bath I use a body lotion on my legs and arms.  Face gets treated with high factor sun-tan lotion.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 06:06:26 PM »

Unless it's really hot weather, I only shower once a day - usually at night before bed as it helps me to wind down. Because my 'lady parts' are so sensitive to burning and itching, I use unscented soap and special intimate wash for my lady parts. I love a rough towel to really rub myself dry and get the blood flowing. I then apply my Oestrogel to inner thighs and massage in unscented body lotion to all other areas. Once a week I pop in a vagifem to keep things good around the vagina area. I never wash my hair in the shower as the shampoo is guaranteed to make my urethra burn so I usually wash my hair in the morning bending over the bath with the hand shower.  If it's been a hot night I do a 'cats lick' in the morning.
My skin is like crepe paper these days - really depressing - but as long as it isn't too itchy I'm fine. DG x
Pages: 1 [2] 3