Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: hoovers!  (Read 8460 times)

clio

hoovers!
« on: April 29, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »

My hoover has packed up so in need of a new one. Now the power on them has been made to change by government I'm in need of help in picking a new one. My question is has anyone bought a new hoover recently from Argos and are you happy with it.......does it suck well ;) ???

Clio

Dancinggirl

Re: hoovers!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:09:24 PM »

I know we are not supposed to mention particular brands etc. on MM but I wouldn't buy anything other than a SEBO - tough and versatile it really does a good job.
My first SEBO lasted 26 years and was absolutely brilliant -  it survived 3 house renovations - so all that awful builders dust etc.. My new SEBO is slightly more powerful  - "good suction?" - oh yes, sucks up everything.  'You get's what you pay for.'
You do have to buy bugs for this vacuum cleaner(I hate dealing with all that dust with bagless hoovers) and almost every part on the SEBO is replaceable - with my first SEBO I only had it serviced once after about 15 years and it then lasted really well for the next 10 or so years!!!!.   DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:30:45 PM »

What's it got to contend with?

I always have an up-right.  Various types but NEVER a Dyson  ::) - I bought 1 when I had lots of pets, it was here for 1 week before I gave it away.  As DH does the hoovering these days I can't remember which types we have - 1 upstairs, the other down and a small hand-held for the camper  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »

We've had an upright SEBO for the last 10 years.
It's worked very well.
Even when clearing up after builders.......

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »

My Vax is great, no complaints and it has coped with all sorts including daughter who just sucks up the lot including pens and hair clips. It just keeps on going. Personally I would not have anything other than an upright but I live in a bungalow.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »

My Dyson has been good to me. I'm on my second one, but first lasted for ages. I got it to cut down on allergens.

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 07:33:44 AM »

I love my Dysons - upright at home and cylinder at the caravan.  We have a sheddy dog and they pick up her fur with no problems.  Very easy to strip the brush bar down to clear long hair and threads off them too.  I've got my eyes on a cordless Dyson for the caravan (smaller and easier to manouver round the tight corners), but can't yet justify the £279 when the cylinder is working perfectly well!!

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »

I read somewhere that in the days before hoovers and of maids, they used to sprinkle their left-over tea leaves from tea-pots all over the floor, then the maids would get down on their hands and knees to sweep it all up.  Apparently it lifted whatever bits were on the carpet and left the place smelling really fresh (in a tea-leaf sort of way!).   

Can you imagine??  Give me a hoover any day!! ::)

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »

Not long after we married we moved house & bought cheap acrylic semi shag carpets for our bedrooms. I was still using my mum's old Goblin cylinder hoover. It was useless on those carpets. Once a week I was down on my hands & knees with a damp cloth to remove all the dust & fluff. Blooming back breaking. So I imagine many maids must have had terrible back problems.

Dulciana

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »

They must have done!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »

I love Henry :)

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »

Ah Henry & Hetty. We had a Henry at my last work place.  :)

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 03:30:30 PM »

Miele for me - brilliant on getting up the cat fur (white long haired cat). I found Dyson was good but the tools didn't last and the Henry was useless. Sorry for Henry lovers - he did look rather cute though and I did try to talk to him nicely  ;D

Taz x

Dyan

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »

I use Miele which is good at picking up but I get sooooo annoyed with the lead getting in the way.
I would love one of those GTech cordless ones. Anyone got one?
I hate using my Miele on the stairs as it doesn't reach far so I have to balance it. :-*

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »

SEBO has an excellent long hose you can attach for doing the stairs and it has an extra long lead so I can do the whole of the upstairs or downstairs without changing plugs.
A feature of the upright SEBO is that it propels itself along forward so you don't have to push so hard when hoovering - much kinder on the back. I know Dyson are supposed to be good but I've heard they don't last very long???!!  DG x
Pages: [1] 2