Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New Drug Driving Law - includes prescription drugs such as Diazepam  (Read 6403 times)

Taz2

I've just read this article about the new drug driving laws which urges anyone on prescription drugs such as Diazepam to obtain a letter from their doctor to say that they have been prescribed them and that they have been taken legally. There is a list of the drugs affected for anyone who is unsure http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/573459/New-laws-drug-driving

Taz x

Dancinggirl

Re: New Drug Driving Law - includes prescription drugs such as Diazepam
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »

I have to admit there have been times when I have been so tired due to lack of sleep that I've really not felt good to drive. I live in the country and rely on my car. I would really worry if I was on any ADs/SRRIs in case I wasn't safe to drive.   With GPs prescribing ADs/SRRIs for just about everything these days, will any insurance company cover us? Are we going to be stopped and breathalysed for everything now? Sorry, starting to feel paranoid now :-\  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 11:57:48 AM »

:thankyou:

Several years ago I was too tired to drive - for months.  NOT ONE neighbour noticed that my vehicle was on the drive in the same place for weeks  :'( …….. I did inform my Insurance Company about 5 years ago and they didn't want to know …... :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »

I think the point is that if you are stopped and tested and found to have one of the mentioned drugs in your system then, unless you have a letter from your doc stating that you have been prescribed the drug legally, you can be prosecuted if the drug has impaired your driving. Alternatively you could keep a copy of your prescription in the car to prove that you have been legally prescribed them. It really is something that anyone taking the listed prescription drugs - especially diazepam, temazapam and lorezepam which seem to be quite commonly prescribed - should be aware of. It could save a lot of time and effort. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/drug-drive-legislation-am-i-fit-to-drive

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 03:41:06 PM »

I carry my prescription in the camper but not on a daily basis.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »

Maybe photo copy it so you can have one in each vehicle you might be driving?

Taz x