Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Confused and not sure if I need higher dose of Femoston?  (Read 5049 times)

DebsMK

Confused and not sure if I need higher dose of Femoston?
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »

About 6 months ago I changed from Prempak 6.25 to Femoston 1/10 mainly because of bad palpitations and ethical reasons.  This last month to 6 weeks the palpitations have returned, although not as bad as before and I have missed a monthly bleed.  I am about to ask for a new prescription, do you think I need a higher dose of Femoston or is it one of those 'wait and see if it changes next month' times?  Can anyone help or has anyone gone through the same thing?  By the way I am 54 but was still having regular periods when I went onto HRT 9 months ago.

peegeetip

Re: Confused and not sure if I need higher dose of Femoston?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:38:26 PM »

Hi Debs

just from checking the the pulldown menus (yuk btw) the prempak you were on was a medium dose.

The new 1/10 is down as a "low" dose HRT. Just so you have that first.

I would try the higher dose but bare in mind that this might be some other issue causing your palps.

Fluctuations in what we eat, vitamins and minerals can all be a cause in what your getting, even extra stress.

It could be that you've just gone through a lucky spell with a much lower dose of HRT.

:-*

DebsMK

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:36:24 AM »

Thank you peegee :).  I am now feeling like I have a period without actually having one (if you know what I mean).  Headache, bloated, tummy feels weird so I think I may brave the dreaded GP and ask for the higher dose.  It's a bit of a shame really as my GP is totally clueless about anything to do with HRT and the other GP at the practice is dead against even giving it.  Wish me luck!

peegeetip

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »

Hi Debs

remember Dr Currie in last MM magazine states to one of the readers that wrote in the its "your choice, not the doctors" to go on HRT not the doctors.

If only they were a bit more interfering when it came to other more costly aspects of modern life.
Why pick on us poor HRT users.

I've never had a bullying lecture on the ill's of drinking alcohol (which is many times more damaging to our breast health than HRT) but they keep that pretty much quiet.
Also the studies I have seen never seem to monitor peoples lifestyles in connection to HRT usage which is just plain wrong if we are to gain anything from them.

Double standards, yes. Stupid, definately yes. Needs to change, asap :)

:-*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:24:45 AM by peegeetip »

Morwenna

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »

I had a seamless transition from Prempak 0.625 to Femoston 2/10 - they are both 'medium' dose therapies. However since moving on to a continuous version of Femoston (which is only available in a 1/5 version) I've experienced a return of hot flushes, palpitations and insomnia - it could be the drop in oestrogen DebsMK, I would recommend trying the higher dose of Femoston for three months, see how you get on.

DebsMK

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »

Thank you Morwenna, I do think I was given a too low dose on reflection.  *Goes off to badger GP*