Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Swelling in knee  (Read 5820 times)

holidaylover

Swelling in knee
« on: April 28, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »

Afternoon Ladies,

I am becoming slightly concerned about my left knee.  I seems to have changed shape completely, a lot bigger with a noticeable swelling above the knee cap a bit to the outside. First noticed this around New Year time.  Actually both knees seem slightly swelled, but the left one is definately worse. (I'm hoping that it's not just fat, as that seems to be depositing itself in every other part of my body at the moment  :-\).  I had an xray on the left one a few years back and 'wear and tear' was diagnosed.  I do get some pain in it at certain times but not where the swelling is.  My legs really don't look like they belong to me anymore.  Made an appointment with doctor but that's not until the middle of May!  My son looked aghast when I showed him and prompted me to get it looked at.  I have mentioned previously about tingling legs, which after some absence has returned, so am wondering if it could all be to do with fluid retention.  The knee isn't red, just big and squishy looking.  Any one any ideas?  (The swelling does go up and down abit but never back to normal.

Joyce

Re: Swelling in knee
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »

Could be arthritis. My hubby has a very swollen left knee with pain especially if on his feet for any length of time. He was diagnosed with arthritis.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »

Is the area inflammed?  If you push the 'swelling' does the skin bounce straight back or remain indented?

holidaylover

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:41:41 AM »

Morning,

CLKD, no it's not inflamed and it does bounce back when I press it. The knee just looks really big and out of shape!  Feeling a bit of niggling pain in it today but not bad enough that I need a painkiller.

Grumpymum

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:27:49 AM »

When I started HRT I found I had pain and swelling in my wrists, knees and ankles (especially where I had had injuries etc in the past) caused by fluid retention, which eased after a few weeks. Have you changed any medication recently? Just a thought.

holidaylover

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 11:06:13 AM »

Nope, not on any medications at all.  The only thing I take is a multi vitamin and an Omega 3 fish oil.  To be perfectly honest, I think my joints have become was since I started with this!   ???  Can't get used to this getting older malarkey.

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »

hiya, this sounds very unpleasant. Is it squishy? Knee joint might have fluid in it? I'm sure you've googled - there seem to be quite a few causes of it and it seems quite common. Pity you have to wait so long to see the doctor, but good luck with it.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »

If the knee becomes hot, the skin tight and painful you need to go to A&E.  Otherwise wait until you see your GP.

holidaylover

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

Yip, It's squishy, so it does feel like it could be fluid.  I hate the thought of having to get it drained, whether this is an option or not I do not know.  It doesn't feel hot or tight, and as it has been bothering me to an extent since January, I doubt it needs immediate attention, but the thought of getting a needle stuck into it fills me with dread  :stretcher:  Don't want to spend summer with a huge knee. I cant think I've injured it in any way, but would wear and tear cause fluid build up?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »

Yep.

I've held the hands of many men  ;) whilst they await the process of removing fluid from swollen knee joints, name escapes me  >:( - usually a local anaesthetic is given before aspiration takes place  ;)

holidaylover

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 04:23:58 PM »

Oh !!   Brilliant !!!!  I'll look forward to that then.

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 04:31:42 PM »

I didn't have the fluid drawn off my knee...I have arthritis ....I had ultrasound to scatter it. It was done by a physio and it worked really well. It does come back but I use a cold pack and ibuprofen cream.
I also had acupuncture which also helped.

Your description sounds exactly where I get my swelling.
You really need to elevate your leg in the evenings to help the swelling go down.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »

:thankyou:  forgot about the elevation ….

holidaylover

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »

Thank you,
I've been on my feet all day for the past few days so that, perhaps, has made it worse.  I'm gonna sit with the leg up all night and get hubby to bring me a wine.  ;)  Sure that will help.  (A bit!)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 06:31:25 PM »

>hands over glass <  ;)