Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding on Utrogestan  (Read 3974 times)

Cassie

Bleeding on Utrogestan
« on: April 28, 2015, 04:21:03 PM »

Hello ladies, I am hoping to get some pearls of wisdom....

I have been on Utrogestan 100mg x 12 days per month for a long time now, several years, with annual ultrasounds, had my last one in December and all was well, lining was under 5mm, no polyps, fibroids etc.
I usually have a bleed which lasts between 6 and 7 days, about 3  to 4 days after ending my Utrogestan, which I start around the 15th of the month.

This month I forgot to start on 15th and started on 17th, I am now on day 11 of my Utrogestan, so 1  more pill to take (vaginally) and I have started a bleed...never happened before.

I do and have had breakthrough bleeeds in the past, but usually when I fiddle with the oestrogel dose....The other night, I kinda fell asleep and remember waking at some stage in the night and pushing the plunger, I usually use 1 and a half pumps, that night it could have been 2, then the next night, I did not fall asleep and put my usual 1 and a half pumps on....could it be the fluctuations in the oestrogen causing the early bleed. I have also noticed that my bleeds are getting shorter, now only 4 days, was wondering if my lining is perhaps not getting too thin and I should perhaps up the oestrogen maybe 12 days of Utrogestan vs 1 and a half pumps of gel is too much...really confusing and without going for another scan, I dont really know whats what...any ideas would be appreciated....Thx so much.... :)

I always thought it was pretty impossible to bleed when on the Utrogestan phase, have always called it my parachute net and it stops bleeding, I know that the Drs always recommend it to control breakthrough bleeding so was kinda suprised to see that my dear Utrogestan is not stopping the bleed this month.......
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:22:44 PM by Cassie »

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleeding on Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »

I've done 3 cycles of Utrogestan so far and have started bleeding each time on day 8 or 9 of the 14 days per cycle I'm supposed to use it. The first month I didn't bleed much, the second month I bled for about 4 days and the last bleed was about 7 days.  I've reduced my oestrogen to one pump per day which seems to keep my flushes etc at bay so I'll be interested to see what my bleed is like next time.
I wouldn't worry about it starting early - it's probably just one of those things.  The important thing is to have a good bleed. DG x

dazned

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »

Maybe they are getting shorter because you are further down the meno line ,you say you've been on it for years,so your body is producing less or no estrogen to top up your hrt therefore there will be less to shed. Just a thought.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »

Thankyou ladies, yes Dazned, I do agree with you on that...just dont understand why after working like clockwork all these years things suddenly go pear shaped, it really messes with ones head...so I'm thinking.... will I bleed now and then again when I should have my usual withdrawal bleed in 4 days time or will it just be one long bleed....oh joys! I guess, only, time will tell.

dazned

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »

I was fine on Estelle duet for 4 years ! Then it all went pear shaped back to same original symptoms plus new ones ,body keeps changing ,getting older so what worked then dont now !  :-\
Hay ho keep changing medication to keep up with it that's all you can do.

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:06:30 AM »

Tx Dazned, you are correct... I am seeing subtle changes in my body as I progress along this great meno journey and may have to adjust my dosages accordingly....

Grumpymum

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »

I have the opposite problem. I have just completed my first cycle of Utrogestan days 15-26 100mg x2 nightly orally. I am now into day 5 back on just estradot and no bleeding whatsoever. Where is the withdrawal bleed?! Just likes to keep us on the hop!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »

Grumpymum, I finished my first 12 days on 200mg Utro last Tuesday. Didn't get my withdrawal bleed until last Saturday.

I also wear Estradot 25mg. How are you finding them both? I've been very up and down on this regime. Mood and sleep have been very poor since bleed started.

Not that impressed with it so far.

Grumpymum

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »

Hi GypsyRoseLee, thanks for your experience about the withdrawal bleed. I will anticipate it eagerly!. I'm on estradot 50 so stronger than yours and I wonder if I need to go up a dose as my mood/anxiety/motivation is up and down too, together with aching. I don't really have a problem with hot flushes, I'm on citalopram for depression which I understand from here helps hot flushes. I generally sleep well and I slept more soundly on the Utrogestan, to the extent my hubby moaned about me snoring!. I'm having general bloods done tomorrow as my doctor thought it was an idea to see if anything else is going on and then she will see about any dose changes then. I know you have to try these things for 3 months for it to really take effect but it is hard to carry on day to day living when you never know how your mood will be. Hope you feel better soon.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »

Yes, I slept well on the Utro stage too.

So far I haven't really had any physical menopause symptoms. For me, it's been all about mood swings, anxiety and insomnia which have affected my quality of life so badly.

Like you, I never know from one day to the next how I'm going to feel and it's debilitating. I can't look forward to anything because I have no idea whether my mood will be low or not.

I could just sob with frustration.

dazned

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 03:19:49 PM »

GRL have you considered taking a low dose ADs ? This might help with your mood and insomnia,it has helped mine. Went from awful anxiety,palps,no sleep,etc.to stable and sleeping in a short space of time. I was always adamant that I wouldn't take them but it got so bad I would have tried  anything !

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 08:51:48 PM »

Hi Cassie

Can't explain that really - except as others have said your body is changing and I do remember your saying before that you do sometimes get oestrogen withdrawal bleeding when you change your dose - so perhaps the middle of the night malarkey with the plunger could have caused a bit of havoc with your levels?

Also I can't remember how old you are and if you know where you are in meno in real terms eg have you got to post-meno yet? The magic two years after the last period (when it would have happened - ie when the ovaries shed their last egg) - the oestrogen levels drop down to their lowest.  This could explain the lighter bleeds maybe? That shouldn't cause an early bleed though? I think with gel it is more likely presumably to get a slight variation in dose because of how it's applied - compared to patches?

Grumpymum - in the latter months of cyclical HRT when I was presumably well post-meno - my withdrawal bleeds stopped because I was presumably not building up sufficient lining during the oestrogen phase. You would expect one eventually if you are still peri or not far post-meno....

Sorry I'm not much use am I - I'm not answering anything just thinking aloud!!!

Hurdity  x