Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Can anyone help me understand my blood results.  (Read 2566 times)

mcwey

Can anyone help me understand my blood results.
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »

Hi everyone,

I was told last week at 44 that I am menopausal. It came as quite a shock as I have been on the pill for the past 5 years. I do have urinary tract infections, breast tenderness, insomnia and pelvic pain but thought that they were to do with ovulation and generally being pmt. My blood results are:
FSH 87.9
LSH 31.9
Oestradiol 19
Progesterone 0.8
TSH 1.72.

Can anyone please tell me how far along into the menopause I am. My bloods were taken on day 11 after a withdrawal bleed from the pill and i have not had a period since now at day 33. Would really appreciate any help you can give as I am totally struggling to understand results. GP mentioned HRT but not sure.

Dancinggirl

Re: Can anyone help me understand my blood results.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:12:53 PM »

Hi and welcome mcwey
I am certainly not an expert but you do have a high FSH reading which indicates menopause and your oestrogen level is very low so you may be in later stages of peri menopause or into post menopause. If you have come off the Pill and no period appears, this may be because you have gone into post meno. If you are still on the Pill then you may not be producing enough oestrogen yourself to produce and withdrawal bleed.  The symptoms you have been experiencing may well be menopause related - UTIs and bladder problems can be caused my Vaginal Atrophy due to lack of oestrogen. At 44, HRT may well be a good idea as you are too young to be low on oestrogen as this could effect your bones and heart.
Do read up all the info on this site to get really clued up and get back to us with questions.
Hopefully you will have a good appointment with your GP to discuss your options and if they are recommending HRT then it would be worth seriously considering taking it to protect your heart and bones and prevent other, possibly, nasty menopause symptoms.
Keep us posted.  DG x

BrightLight

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »

Hi there - as I discovered when I had blood tests in January, they can and will show different results at different times, unless you have definately gone into menopause fully while on the pill.  I think only time can really give a definative answer. As DancingGirl says it's best to try and discuss this with a GP that can help explain things more and advise about HRT.

Personally, I was in a similar position, also aged 44, though not using the Pill and I have had a few cycles since being told my FSH suggested menopause.  I cannot explain this fully, except that I must be still producing oestrogen on some level for now, a second FSH showed normal levels.  In the stages of perimenopause, where the hormones are declining levels can be erratic.

Is it possible for you to give yourself some time and see what happens, your body will be adjusting to not using the Pill - perhaps a clearer picture will emerge?  Perhaps have a second blood test - I have learnt that it is usual to have two blood tests to determine menopausal status if it occurs earlier, which 44 is considered to be.

Wishing you well, I understand the news being a shock x

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:32:25 AM »

The only result I can recognise is the TSH.  I understand thyroid levels because I have mine checked regularly as I have thyroid disease.

Your TSH, at 1.72, is excellent showing your thyroid is working very well.  I wish mine behaved as well  :)

MrsMopp

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:12:18 PM »

Me too Babyjane (nods in agreement)  :-\

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »

commiserations MrsMopp.  Mine was stable till the menopause since when it has never been the same twice, and since they changed the branded for the generic it has been all over the place.

Sorry mcwey, your thread  :-X

mcwey

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »

Hi Dancing Girl, Thanks for the reply. I think I must be through the worst of it now. Looking back over the past 5 years I have had a lot of the symptoms listed on this website but with small kids and i also have arthritis I have been putting everything down to that. So confusing this time of life isn't it.

My GP has referred me to a gynaecologist and i probably need a hysteroscopy.  Will most definitely be heading down the HRT path. Thank yo so much for your reply it really did help me. I have come off the pill now and haven't had a period. First cycle that has ever happened as I have always been clock work 28 day girl and always knew when I was ovulating. Not sure how I feel about it. But I will be happy to be at the end of the process, staying off the pill now and enduring plenty of the vaginal atrophy symptoms along with jittery anxiety and I can't remember anything!!!! I haven't had hot flushes really should I be concerned about that?

dazned

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »

Blood tests are reliably unreliable ! Due to time of month,fluctuations etc.
As Brightlight suggested it might be better to let your body settle down after stopping the pill so as not to muddy the waters  you might then have a clearer picture !
Keep us posted lets us know how youe doing.