Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: muffin top!  (Read 3582 times)

Jude 12

muffin top!
« on: April 27, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »

Hi. I'm new on here and in dire need of some reassurance. I seem to be developing a man's tummy and feel disgusted with myself as I'm menapausal ,other symptoms as well but this gain of middle spread is making me really down. Will it go! Do I need to frantically exercise my tummy lots???

babyjane

Re: muffin top!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:10:46 PM »

Hey Jude (sorry, couldn't resist it) you poor thing.  I remember it well.  It is horrible when things start to change but unfortunately it is the change of life.  You can try damage limitation and be mindful of your health and diet and activity levels but I found that there was no completely halting the process.

It took me five years of mumbling and grumbling and moaning and feeling sorry for myself and making everyone else miserable until this year when I gave myself a talking to and realised that I hadn't managed to halt the passage of time and that time was definitely in the driving seat.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to embrace the change and accept the 58 year old rounder, older me and maybe adjust my lifestlye accordingly but I did not come to that point easily.

All I can say is that it is much easier with this group to let of steam and bounce ideas and thoughts to, the ladies are so helpful and supportive.

Welcome to the forum.  :welcomemm:

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:36:56 PM »

:thankyou: Babyjane.
I'm finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that I may not be the size I was in my 20,s 30's & 40's.
I have become obsessed with trying to get down to a certain weight. I have done weightwatchers and slimming world and although I have lost some weight it seems to be coming off very slowly.
I begrudge paying £5 a wk to be told that I'm the same or put on a lb.
I have recently stopped going to slimming world and just tried to eat as healthily as I can without missing out on the foods I do like.
Like you, I think I need to embrace 'The change' and accept that the 54 year old me maybe rounder and not as slim as she once was.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »

The metabolism slows down as we get older and the body does not respond as well or as quickly.  We need to be kind to ourselves I think.

Last year I dropped 7lb in the months leading up to my daughter's wedding because I was rushing around mentally and physically and I kept forgetting to eat!  Was I happy, no of course not.  My neck went all stringy and I had to have my outfit  taken in.  Once the wedding stress was over my body 'put itself back' to its normal level with no help at all from me and my neck creases filled themselves out  :).

That said, If I started getting unhealthily fat I would certainly address the issue.

dazned

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »

When menopausal we lay down body fat around our waist,Dr Currie explained it on a video I watched sorry can't remember all the scientific reasons,meno brain  :-\

Maybe someone can put the link up or try you tube for her ,sure it was on you tube most things are.
As others have said eat healthy and try not to obsess about it unfortunately it sometimes doesn't help to swim against the tide !

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:59:54 PM »

I lost 2 stones 2 years ago. Belly fat barely shifted. My face looked thinner, my legs got thinner, but still had my tum. Short of making myself miserable dieting trying to get rid of it, I now accept it is part of the older me.

groundhog

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »

Hello Jude
I've just come out of hospital after 3 months following hysterectomy with complications.  I lost a stone ( didn't lose more as I was being fed through vein ).  It all came off my face and I looked dreadful.  I still had my muffin top.  There were women on my ward who weighed 6 or 7 stone and I vowed I would never worry about my weight again.  Growing old is a privilege and our body's do change.    I hate my muffin top too and my chubby legs and arms but I'm trying to focus on healthy eating and not stressing over my body shape :) x

Ginnyliz70

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »

Oh my god, im new to this website, in fact its my first post but even with only reading a small amount i now realise im stressing over the same things.  Ive never been skinny and always had a bit extra so to speak but ive never had the belly i have now and the back fat, its like "where has that all come from" and im not happy at all, im finding these changes so difficult.

dazned

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 01:14:09 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6AxY4hvK0x4

Think this is link to dr anne evans explaining weight if Ive copied it correctly ,there are actually 3 parts to her talk it is very informative,this the middle part I believe.