Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anyone take just Utrogestan (no oestrogen)?  (Read 5403 times)

SueRoe

Anyone take just Utrogestan (no oestrogen)?
« on: April 27, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »

I stopped HRT (continuous Evorel 50 and 100mg Utrogestan) 4 weeks ago because my moods were completely out of control and I didn't know what else to do. I'm 53. I've been much better - the dry itchy skin has gone, my hair isn't falling out so much, my energy levels have improved and my very low moods and despair have greatly improved. All of which suggests to me that I was taking too much hormone or the wrong type/ratio. But the awful anxiety is creeping back and I'd like to nip it in the bud if I can. Since Utrogestan has a calming property (and too much oestrogen is known to give us the jitters) I wondered about taking just Utrogestan. Does anyone here take Utrogestan but no oestrogen? What dose? Orally or vaginally? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks ladies.

dazned

Re: Anyone take just Utrogestan (no oestrogen)?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:02:05 PM »

I have never heard of anyone taking/using utrogestron on its own before ,might be wrong though !  Don't think it is meant to be.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »

Hi Freda

Although progesterone has a sedative effect, in the doses taken for HRT and for progesterone intolerant women, it can have just the sort of effects you describe ie low mood and decreased energy - can also give rise to fatigue, foggy head, headaches etc. Taking it all the time ( I presume you were if you were on 100 mg) can mean you feel like this all the time.

These depressing effects are why several of us on here continue with a cycle well into post-menopause ( like myself at 61). The anxeity creeping back is due to the decreased oestrogen. Have you thought of taking it cyclically? If you are under a gyane if you can persuade them to let you try a slightly longer cycle then you would have the benefits of being on oestrogen only for linger each cycle. The disadvantage of this is that your body has to acclimaitse to the sudden increase in progesterone and then a decrease - progesterone withdrawal - which some women have problems with. If you took it cyclically if your doc was OK with it you could take a lower dose vaginally than orally - or for a shorter time in the month.

You can only try - and this is what I would suggest - definitely not progesterone all the time. If you are post-menopausal anyway this (without oestrogen) can lead to overthinning and in extreme cases ulceration of the uterus lining with subsequent bleeding or spotting.

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x

SueRoe

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:37:49 AM »

Thanks ladies - time for a chat with GP I think.