Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: new!  (Read 2709 times)

LELaben

new!
« on: April 23, 2015, 02:16:37 PM »

Hi I'm Louise. I'm 34 & I've just had surgery on Monday (20th April) for total hysterectomy plus salpingo bi-lateral oophorectomy. Feeling very up & down at the minute. Was prepared for hysterectomy (as much as can be) but not for removal of ovaries & therefore menopause! Have to see GP in a few weeks to start HRT & no idea what to expect. Any advice please?
I'm married & we have one child. Tried for many years for more children & had losses along the way & constant problems with periods (or no periods!), diabetes, thyroid problems plus PCOS.
My head is spinning at the minute & would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks

honeybun

Re: new!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »

Nice to have you with us. We have quite a few ladies who have personal experience and I'm sure they will be along soon for a chat

Honeybun

:welcomemm:

LELaben

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »

Thank you

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM LElaben
You are in the right place to get support.  There is some good info on this site and a section on early &/or post hysterectomy menopause so do read up everything to get really clued up.
As you have had a hysterectomy you will just need some oestrogen to protect your heart, bones and keep the flushes etc under control.   It's the progesterone part of combined HRT which tends to give the problems and you don't need progesterone because you don't have a uterus so, for you, it should be just about finding the right amount of oestrogen.  I would suggest you try something like Oestrogel as it gives you the opportunity to adjust your dose to your needs.  Many find using hormones transdermally much better and more effective.
It's tough coming to terms with this type of operation so do keep posting with questions etc.
DG x

LELaben

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »

Thanks. Still getting my head around it all. I just want to get back to some sort of normality  :-\

MrsMopp

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »

Hi there and welcome

sorry you've had such a tough time.  Has anybody in the medical profession mentioned oestrogen only HRT to you yet?  I'm pretty sure that will help in the long term.  Short term you need time to recover and look after yourself.  Hopefully your other half is helping and sympathising?  They don't always I know :(

LELaben

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »

other half has been great at looking after me. hrt has only been mentioned briefly in hospital as something I must start around 6 weeks post op. No idea about different types or side-effects. I just know at 34 I need to take it. Hopefully get some info from GP but won't hold my breath!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »

Lelaban - please try not to worry about side effects of using Oestrogen.  There are only two types of oestrogen and you will doubtless be given the bio identical form of oestrogen so you will simply be replacing what you would have been producing yourself naturally if you hadn't had the hysterectomy. Oestrogen comes in pill, patch or gel and the patch or gel are considered the best way to absorb oestrogen but you may refer to simply pop a pill each day. 
Here is the link on this site that shows the options: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php
The amount of oestrogen is something you will have to experiment with and if you choose to use Oestrogel this will give the opportunity to adjust the dose yourself to find the perfect amount to use. As you will just be having oestrogen you will hopefully only experience benefits.  It tends to be the progesterone that can cause the problem. Research shows that post hysterectomy oestrogen reduces the risk of breast cancer.   
Try to relax and concentrate on recovering fully from the operation. 
Keep us posted.  DG x