Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: psychological stress/nervousness and ovarian function  (Read 5937 times)

Dandelion

psychological stress/nervousness and ovarian function
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:23:45 AM »

I was talking to my GP yesterday regarding hormones etc, not the normal GP I see for hormones, another GP in that practice.
I started my perimenopause at age 42, but didn't attend to the issues until age 47 when I got the blood test and hrt.

The GP said that 42 was early for menopause, and I told her that my mum knows of no female in my family who started their perimenopause as early as me. My sisters are 49, and 50, respectively and they are just starting to get the first symptoms now.

I asked my GP about this and she said that my ovaries packed up at age 42.
I told her no one in my family has started their perimenopause as early as this and she said that my ovaries could have been stressed.
This was a GP I had never dealt with before, and I said that, yes, I have mental illness, anxiety and nerves outside the menopause.

I was always a bag of nerves, so much so, that in confrontations with people I would shake and sometimes feel like I was going to faint, and have to sit down or lay down.
I also wet myself easily if I am too scared suddenly, like when a girl started to give me a hiding when I was 18, and when my dad used to hit me.

I know not all women with psychiatric issues are a bag of nerves like me, but I would like to know, or have confirmed that being a bag of nerves all my life, has made my body produce excess stress hormones, and un-naturally put me in fight-or-flight mode much more than is healthy, and that this has had a bad effect on my encocrine system, hence ovaries downing tools at age 42 and perimenopause starting.

I have not been diagnosed with POF, and I know that not all women with POF are naturally bags of nerves, but I just want to confirm that me being as nervy as I am, has caused my ovaries to go on Permanent oestrogen Austerity, much like the governemtn with money.
If anyone could throw some light on this please, or confirm my findings, or even give me any more info I would be grateful.

PS  I know my ovaries are in retirement now, so I am not holding out any hope of them starting up again.

toffeecushion

Re: psychological stress/nervousness and ovarian function
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »

Hi Dandelion,

I have lived on my nerves since about the age of 24.  I was agoraphobic for many years and have suffered with anxiety ever since.  I believe I started perimenopause at the age of 45, maybe even earlier.  But 45 was when I started to notice changes with my periods.  So maybe you are on to something there, very interesting.

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:56:45 AM »

Hi Dandelion,

I have lived on my nerves since about the age of 24.  I was agoraphobic for many years and have suffered with anxiety ever since.  I believe I started perimenopause at the age of 45, maybe even earlier.  But 45 was when I started to notice changes with my periods.  So maybe you are on to something there, very interesting.

Hi Toffecussion

I'm sorry that you have lived on your nerves and had anxiety and agoraphobia for many years.
I had a bizzarre upbringing, which resulted in me being phobically afraid of people and phobically afraid of life, with resulting depression, anxiety and nervousness.

This resulted in me producing loads and loads of cortisol, and I am sure that all this cortisol is not good for physical wellbeing, as over production of cortisol must have a damaging effect on bodily systems such as endocrine system, and maybe others, like cardiovascular.

It's funny because when I get my blood pressure checked, mostly it's normal, but sometimes it's high, like the dyastolic figure being around 100.
I dunno why it spikes high the odd time, but it even went up like this when the nurse did her routine observations, when I was in hospital last year for my nose operation.

I think it must be logical, over nervousness = over production of stress hormones = physical dysfunction, but I would like to know more.
There are some studies linking emotional problems to cancer also. I am not taking them as gospel, here is one, but yeah it is really interesting.
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/01January/Pages/emotional-stress-causes-cancer.aspx

Greenfields

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »

Dandelion have you heard of the ACE study?  Adverse Childhood Events

There's some information here: http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/acestudy/

I read a really readable book on it in Canada but I can't remember the damn title.

Anyway just to say that childhood events do have an impact on stress and disease.

I have been thinking about the role of cortisol in health as well ... as I think that the stress I was under for a long period of time has caused the events that occurred with me recently.

The one thing that helped me overcome panic attacks in my twenties and thirties was differential relaxation exercises (tensing and releasing the body in sequence) - I did a tape twice a day. I also gave up drinking 10 cups of coffee and took up swimming regularly.

Then I took up yoga. Then I took up meditation. Then I trained as a yoga teacher and became a long time practitioner of meditation. This last year I didn't do that much yoga but kept the meditation up. But I dropped the swimming due to a sinus infection. I'm now wondering whether the lack of exercise in combination with the high stress I was under and the hormone imbalance I was experiencing played a role in what happened to me a month ago where I woke up in a state of terror and cancelled moving back to Canada.

The one thing I would say is that while there may be links with childhood events and health it's important to not feel that it's our fate - I know when I studied attachment theory at college the professor made that point - that if you had a poor attachment relationship with a parent it doesn't fate you to have a rotten life. There are things that can be done to alter this ... like me, for eg, getting into yoga and meditation. I say this to give hope ...

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »

Dandelion have you heard of the ACE study?  Adverse Childhood Events

There's some information here: http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/acestudy/

I read a really readable book on it in Canada but I can't remember the damn title.

Anyway just to say that childhood events do have an impact on stress and disease.

I have been thinking about the role of cortisol in health as well ... as I think that the stress I was under for a long period of time has caused the events that occurred with me recently.

The one thing that helped me overcome panic attacks in my twenties and thirties was differential relaxation exercises (tensing and releasing the body in sequence) - I did a tape twice a day. I also gave up drinking 10 cups of coffee and took up swimming regularly.

Then I took up yoga. Then I took up meditation. Then I trained as a yoga teacher and became a long time practitioner of meditation. This last year I didn't do that much yoga but kept the meditation up. But I dropped the swimming due to a sinus infection. I'm now wondering whether the lack of exercise in combination with the high stress I was under and the hormone imbalance I was experiencing played a role in what happened to me a month ago where I woke up in a state of terror and cancelled moving back to Canada.

The one thing I would say is that while there may be links with childhood events and health it's important to not feel that it's our fate - I know when I studied attachment theory at college the professor made that point - that if you had a poor attachment relationship with a parent it doesn't fate you to have a rotten life. There are things that can be done to alter this ... like me, for eg, getting into yoga and meditation. I say this to give hope ...
By geez, I did read the ACE study a few weeks ago, as it goes...
I have suspected ADHD and am awaiting an assesement, sent the questionnaires in, just waiting for an appointment, so I forgot about the fact I had read ACE.
It's scary.
I also remember reading something from some professor about psychiatric illness and cancer.
It is very interesting and I love your post.

Night_Owl

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »

Dandelion, I can relate to what you've said.  I've always been a bag of nerves, right from childhood, and not had a plain sailing, happy adult life - and had a relatively early meno at 44.

[So, if one has a 'stress personality/character' experience of life (in my case I'm saying) does that correlate to worn out adrenals / early meno.  Is it inherited, I know my mum was a bag of nerves too, did she release stress hormones when pregnant.]

Adrenal health must play a part in how each woman's biochemistry responds to the menopause.

As we know, cortisol is released by the adrenal glands - maybe they can become worn out with over-work, prior to the meno - if they've had years of over-use due to bad nerves, more flight/fight situations, excess circulating cortisol in the system. 

(Supposedly) During/after menopause the adrenal glands have to step up to the mark and should produce sufficient estrogen and progesterone to avoid menopausal symptoms.  So what if the adrenals are too worn to do this ...

ALSO Add into the mix that the shut down of the ovaries and loss of estrogen can greatly affect the autonomic nervous system, thus making nerves worse.

Maybe adrenal health is one of the keys to good / bad meno experience.  (And thyroid too ....)

I don't know how to improve adrenal health.  It is food for thought.  For nerves, I take magnesium and inositol as I'm medication sensitive and don't beta blockers etc etc.

I've never tried it but read about the herb Ashwagandha - it is an adaptogenic herb popular in Ayurvedic medicine that lowers cortisol and balances thyroid hormones.

Greenfields' suggestions of yoga, meditation etc must help.

Are you taking any supplements Dandelion?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »

Prior to starting my peri symptoms at 42 I had endured an extremely stressful couple of years. Mainly financial worries thanks to the lovely recession. We've managed to scrape by and just about pay our way but it has been very hand to mouth on occasion. I lived in dread of the next big bill dropping through the letter box and I HATED having to say 'no' sometimes when our children wanted a treat.

The whole situation made me feel very vulnerable and exposed. My internal emotional armour was really taking a battering and was starting to crumple. But also my Mum was quite ill for a time and I started a new quite challenging job.

So I've also wondered if all that stress over an extended period of time just brutalised my adrenal glands to the point where they just couldn't cope anymore. Plus early menopause does run in my family, and my ovaries were always likely to pack up in my early forties.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »

Hi @Night_Owl

I'm sorry you have had mh struggles and a relatively early meno.

I don't know why some women sail through it and others don't. I know a women with mh probs and fibromyalgia but she sailed through her meno and chose not to use hrt.

I've heard of adrenal fatigue, and I could see how that relates to stress. I don't seem to have adrenal fatigue, thankfully, but i guess I wouldn't know how to look for it.

Maybe some women have bad meno due to worn out adrenals, I dunno..

I know when my ovaries gave up the ghost, about 6yrs ago, my mh started to suffer even more badly, an anxiety from within. Sickening depression.

I sometimes take magnesium when I can't get off to sleep. It helps. I also take ashwaganhda sometimes and rhodiola, but I think they work, i dunno, because they are more subtle.

Nowadays I take a beta blocker, or some phenergan, both prescribed. My antidepressant went bad on me, started causing problems so I weaned off it.
I also drink at times and take naughty drugs, but now that I am on stronger hrt, I may not need to, but my hrt takes about five weeks to kick in properly.

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »

Prior to starting my peri symptoms at 42 I had endured an extremely stressful couple of years. Mainly financial worries thanks to the lovely recession. We've managed to scrape by and just about pay our way but it has been very hand to mouth on occasion. I lived in dread of the next big bill dropping through the letter box and I HATED having to say 'no' sometimes when our children wanted a treat.

The whole situation made me feel very vulnerable and exposed. My internal emotional armour was really taking a battering and was starting to crumple. But also my Mum was quite ill for a time and I started a new quite challenging job.

So I've also wondered if all that stress over an extended period of time just brutalised my adrenal glands to the point where they just couldn't cope anymore. Plus early menopause does run in my family, and my ovaries were always likely to pack up in my early forties.
I dont have a family but I know what you mean about £ worries.
I have some property/£ worries that I have sought advice for but cannot do nowt about, I know the solution, £1,000's needed to put my problem right, and I don't have it.
I am really enjoying this recession and looking forward to when my savings run out and I am turfed out of my home, hahahhahhahh :)
This £ may also mess up our bodies, I dont know.

SueRoe

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »

I'd be interested to know how many women who are highly stressed and have hormonal deficiencies are on a low fat diet. So many of our hormones (including cortisol and progesterone) are made from cholesterol. We need cholesterol, and the current obsession with lowering it might not be helpful during times of hormonal chaos and stress. Certainly I'm feeling much better on a low sugar/sod-the-fat-content diet! Though this won't be appropriate in the long term (big bum etc). But for now I just want to feel stable, as do all of us. Maybe women who feel stressed and full of anxiety and impatience could try cutting out the carbs and eating fattier foods instead for a while to see if they feel better?

Dandelion

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »

I'd be interested to know how many women who are highly stressed and have hormonal deficiencies are on a low fat diet. So many of our hormones (including cortisol and progesterone) are made from cholesterol. We need cholesterol, and the current obsession with lowering it might not be helpful during times of hormonal chaos and stress. Certainly I'm feeling much better on a low sugar/sod-the-fat-content diet! Though this won't be appropriate in the long term (big bum etc). But for now I just want to feel stable, as do all of us. Maybe women who feel stressed and full of anxiety and impatience could try cutting out the carbs and eating fattier foods instead for a while to see if they feel better?
Hi Freda

My diet isn't that low in fat.
Because I have depression, I've never cared about high cholesterol and heart attacks.
My weight is ok, I have lost about 2-3 stone in the last year, dunno if it's because I am on better hrt or whether depression and anxiety is causing it.
I tried giving up sugar but didn't last unfortunately, I love sugar in my coffee.

BrightLight

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »

Hi Dandelion - I have started changes in my cycles recently and had a high (post menopausal level) FSH blood test in January and a normal one 6 weeks later.  A missed period and now 3 regular cycles but.....I am certain (no proof) that my progesterone is really low and I am pretty sure I am not ovulating.  I have experienced a number of stressfull situations in my life and anxiety issues on and off, for the last 3 years the adrenalin response has been firmly switched on.

When I asked my GP if this 'early' menopause was stress, they dismissed it - but I am certain it is related, like you say.  Cortisol needs progesterone and it will lower levels, if this goes on for a while, logic tells me the whole system starts operating out of kilter.  I am sorry you have been through rough times.

I am having accupuncture at the moment and focussing on my stress levels as my 'root' problem and my hormones perhaps are adjusting better than they were - who knows - but I really do think adrenalin/cortisol and adrenal exhaustion from years of stress response undoubtly effects the reproductive system. x

Dandelion

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »

Hi Dandelion - I have started changes in my cycles recently and had a high (post menopausal level) FSH blood test in January and a normal one 6 weeks later.  A missed period and now 3 regular cycles but.....I am certain (no proof) that my progesterone is really low and I am pretty sure I am not ovulating.  I have experienced a number of stressfull situations in my life and anxiety issues on and off, for the last 3 years the adrenalin response has been firmly switched on.

When I asked my GP if this 'early' menopause was stress, they dismissed it - but I am certain it is related, like you say.  Cortisol needs progesterone and it will lower levels, if this goes on for a while, logic tells me the whole system starts operating out of kilter.  I am sorry you have been through rough times.

I am having accupuncture at the moment and focussing on my stress levels as my 'root' problem and my hormones perhaps are adjusting better than they were - who knows - but I really do think adrenalin/cortisol and adrenal exhaustion from years of stress response undoubtly effects the reproductive system. x
I would like some free accupuncture.
There used to be a place that did it, so I will have to make some enquiries about availablity.
I would pay, but by the time my mortgage and bills are paid for, I still need money for food, and oter stuff as, such as replacing worn out clothes and food.