Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can't decide whether to move house or not  (Read 15759 times)

SueRoe

Can't decide whether to move house or not
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »

I love our little house but recently have become stressed by our road being clogged by cars, being very overlooked, and by DIY-mad neighbours. I've lost the tranquility and privacy that this house used to offer. I think it's probably time to move on but I don't know if I can face leaving my home. Is it the building I'm attached to - the actual physical house - or the things in it? Could I put all our things into a new house and feel "at home" or would I regret leaving my little house for ever more? I'm in a right stew about it. I think I need to move somewhere quieter for the sake of my sanity but I'm scared I'll end up pining to come "home". Any advice?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can't decide whether to move house or not
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:44:20 PM »

I would love to move to the coast but the thought of physically picking up all this leaves me  :-\

Have a look at properties - see if looking gives you a buzz which would over-ride the loss of your property.  I love our garden and ponds, have put my heart and soul into it! 

What do you want in a property: lots of light, large garden, big kitchen/diner - I have a huge utility room here but would love one a lot larger ……. could you self-build?

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »

I left my last house due to my neighbours. Think the person from hell and you are not even close.

That house was our project after leaving the home where we had our kids. It was a disaster from beginning to end. Eventually I would have lived in a tent just to get away from the neighbours.

We moved to a small house in a quiet village and I have loved every minute of it despite it not being my dream house.

You have to go with your gut feeling and persue happiness where ever you live.

It's a difficult decision, but deep down you will know when the time is right.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:58:40 PM »

Freda - You've nothing to lose by looking to see what is available.
It doesn't seem as if your house is a peaceful haven at the moment.
It will be a hassle to move but..................

bramble

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:12:57 PM »

I always say that my home comes with me in the back of the removal van. I am just leaving a house.

Bramble

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »

I think the suggestion of looking around suitable houses in the area you which to live to see how you feel is a great idea. You don't want to be in the situation my parents are in. They moved into their house in 1958 and didn't want to go through the stress of moving again, but wish they did years ago. The quiet road they moved into is no longer the same and they have had to cope with neighbour problems from hell. Next door, a 3 bedroom house is divided into bedsits and some tenants have behaved appallingly through the years.

Treat it as an adventure. You might think you know what you want on paper, but go by your gut feeling. I remember seeing our home the first time. It was in poor condition, not what we were looking for, though structurally sound and solid. The house seemed to welcome us in and has felt like a haven ever since. We were moving away from an area where parking was an issue.

SueRoe

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:50:53 AM »

Thank-you ladies - some thoughts to think about. I think the distinction between "a house" and "a home" is a helpful one - the empty building isn't "home" the things in it are. I get terribly homesick whenever I'm away for even one night so the thought of leaving for ever is dreadful (I feel sick now just writing that!). I really need a refuge from the world and it isn't here anymore, unfortunately.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »

Are the neighbours friendly even though they are keen DIY-ers?

SueRoe

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »

The neighbours are formal rather than friendly which suits me fine. They are good people, I think, but they don't have "normal" routines" - often up all night, or up and moving around by 5am. In a house with very thin walls (we can hear their kettle boiling and their conversations for instance) this is rather irritating! Been looking at other houses but can't decide what to do... grrrr!

cherylks

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:22:43 PM »

We moved house 3.5 weeks ago.  Have gone back to a semi having had detached for 8 years.  The walls here are so thin too.  Can;t believe how much we can hear.  We have actually decided to get the downstairs walls that are attached soundproofed.   Expensive but worth it to have peace and tranquility.  I was having panic attacks for the first few days when we realised how much could be heard.  :(

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 07:16:25 PM »

It's very difficult to move when you feel driven to it by neighbours - it's not something that you want to do and the fact that someone else is almost forcing you into this decision isn't easy. The other problem is not knowing who your new neighbours will be. My friend did this. He sold his much loved house due to the new neighbours being absolutely impossible to get on with and within six months of him moving out they moved out too. He is happy in his new house but still wishes he hadn't sold the old one and the house next door to him now has just been sold and the new owner is going to rent it out. You never can tell! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Taz x  :bighug:

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »

Previous neighbours have used us as selling points when selling their house apparently! We share the drive, but it's nice to know we're well thought of! We are surrounded by neighbours, 6, and only one is a problem, as they don't keep their trees under control, which has caused root damage to the drive and potentially to our house. Could go the legal route, but suspect that will create more problems than it will solve. DH is doing the gently gently route.