Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Femoston 1/10 advice about Progesterone  (Read 5058 times)

Wendy worrier

Femoston 1/10 advice about Progesterone
« on: April 25, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »

Hi ladies have learnt so much from this forum so Thankyoux. I started my first pack of hrt Femoston1/10 and the first three weeks were so much better but on day 23 I got my bleed and awful pains and felt so awful and am worried it may be the progesterone although my GP who is lovely has told me it is well tolerated and zi was fine on the first week.....I have just started day one of second pack.....I have suffered from terrible anxiety, OCD, panic attacks and depression since I was a teenager but the added anxiety, hot flushes and peri, my GP put me on Femoston. I'm 48 and peri, any reassurance or advice would be welcome... Wx

Wendy worrier

Re: Femoston 1/10 advice about Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »

Sorry just to say should I keep going with the Femoston1/10 and what are your experiences of giving hrt a good three months.....

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:29:45 PM »

Hi Wendy - welcome to the forum.

The advice to give HRT at least three months, if possible, is well researched and it is advisable to do this so that your body can get used to the dose of HRT and your hormone levels can even out. As you are still under 50 I think that the early period could be due to your own cycle breaking through and this should improve as time goes on. I've had a look online at the patient info leaflet and it does mention bleeding

"Irregular bleeding
You may have irregular bleeding or drops of blood
(spotting) during the first 3-6 months of taking
Femoston. However, if the irregular bleeding:
• carries on for more than the first 6 months
• starts after you have been taking Femoston for
more than 6 months
• carries on after you have stopped taking Femoston
see your doctor as soon as possible.

Unexpected bleeding
You will have a bleed once a month (so-called
withdrawal bleed) while taking Femoston. But, if you
have unexpected bleeding or drops of blood (spotting)
besides your monthly bleeding, which:
• carries on for more than the first 6 months
• starts after you have been taking Femoston more
than 6 months
• carries on after you have stopped taking Femoston
see your doctor as soon as possible"

It is still early days for you so don't despair. It is also common to get periods which are more painful for the first month or two but, again, this should settle down. I'm not too sure about dosage and it could be that 2/10 would be better. Someone else will be along soon to advise you I'm sure. In the meantime have a good look around at our posts. Lots of help and friendship on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Wendy worrier

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »

Thanks Taz, I feel so anxious but much happier now I've posted and have had such a lovely friendly helpful response from you my lovely......WWx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:30:33 PM »

Hi Wendy worrier

:welcomemm: from me too! I agree with Taz as well.

Re dosage - it depends on where you are in menopause eg how your periods have been - how often, how heavy etc in the months leading up to your starting HRT, as well as symptoms? If you are in very early peri - 1/10 may well be sufficient to bring your oestrogen levels up again and help relieve your symptoms. If this is the case, as you get nearer to menopause you might need to increase the dose if your symptoms re-appear.

The type of progestogen probably won't affect the pains although sometimes I think possibly the stronger synthetic progestogens (like norethisterone - not the one in Femoston!) may cause greater period pains? Your doctor is right Femoston is a good one to try first!

Hope you feel better soon and you find some relief from flushes and anxiety.

Hurdity x

Wendy worrier

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »

Hi Hurdity.....My periods before hrt were really regular every 27/28 days until a year ago when I went 2 months without then back to normal for a couple of months then 25 days and last period before Femoston 28 days typical....lol......I felt much better for three weeks on Femoston but the whole of the last week of pack was period pain the dragging kind, anxiety and bleed at 23 days and am now on day 1 of new pack bleeding coming to an end.....if It was the progesterone it would have made me feel groggy the beginning of taking them I would think. I stick it out for the three months....Also my GP did say that I may need to go up to 2/10 but I don't know why.....WWx

pepperminty

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »

Hi Wendy worrier,

I have just started on Femeston 1/10 and my first month was ok. I got my period at the beginning of the second pack. My periods were regular like yours , until this year.
 I spoke to the menopause nurse at the hospital and she said to carry on taking the femeston 1/10 for 3 months as symptoms can bottom/even out. It's about getting the best results with the least symptoms.  I got Chronic PMT at the beginning of the second pack and it scared me. The nurse told me that this is my own hormones not the progesterone causing the problems and that this can happen starting HRT but should improve. There are lots of ladies with a mountain of knowledge here. Have a good look at the threads . Here's hoping it all settles down  nicely for you.

Pepperminty xx

Wendy worrier

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 05:36:15 PM »

Good Luck Pepperminty I'll keep you posted and hope to hear your doing well too....WWx

pepperminty

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »

Hi , cheers, forgot to say in answer to your Gp saying you may need to go up to 2/10. This would be if your symptom control was poor on 1/10 , I am presuming.  Good luck . Pmintyx