Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: FSH levels  (Read 4650 times)

jedigirl

FSH levels
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »

Having just received my blood results back I am puzzled that my FSH level is 73 on HRT. It was 76 last year before i started HRT. Shouldn't the HRT have made a difference to this level?
I thought HRT lowered the levels. I'm so ignorant, thought I was getting to understand these things more :-\

BrightLight

Re: FSH levels
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »

I am guessing here but presume the HRT doesn't change the ovaries functioning but replaces hormones the ovary was producing - so your body will continue to attempt to ovulate etc and the FSH be unaffected by the HRT - hopefully somebody that definatively knows can come and explain. :)

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:17:26 PM »

Well, I am also confused by it all but this is my take on it having been on oestrogen hrt for 16 years

Oestrogen 'should ' be a good level on hrt
FSH and LH should be high in menopause as it's produced by the pituitary gland ? When the ovaries aren't working this gland works harder and levels rise ?

And then again I may be TOTALLY wrong !

All I know is my FSH levels are high

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »

Not certain, but I think FSH levels rise when natural oestrogen levels drop.
It stimulates the ovaries to produce eggs.

Jedigirl - perhaps the oestrogen in HRT reduces the need for FSH, which is why it's 73 now, when it was 76 before you took HRT

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »

Its so confusing! I expected my levels to be much lower after being on hrt for 7 months. If anyone understands menopause you have my respect!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 04:42:37 PM »

Hi jedigirl

The general principle is that as others have said FSH levels rise as oestrogen levels fall, to try to stimulate the ovaries, and falls as oestrogen levels rise - so that HRT should reduce FSH to some extent. However the oestrogen in HRT normally gives systemic oestrogen levels nowhere near those experienced at the pre-ovulatory peak so nothing is working in quite the same way so I really wouldn't worry about the exact meaning of your FSH levels!

Also a single blood test cannot be relied upon and there are other hormones involved too that are not measured, as well as your ovaries partly doing their own thing in the background,  and partly being affected by the HRT!

jedigirl

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 10:34:31 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I find it all mystifying! Just as I get to grips with one thing another confounds me!