Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Water Retention Remedy ideas  (Read 7323 times)

BrightLight

Water Retention Remedy ideas
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »

Hello, after one skipped period I have had three regular cycles but with changes. Heavier bleeding, aching breasts but no getting bigger which they used too and awful fluid retention. I was wondering if anyone had remedies for the fluid retention. It's happening before and during the bleed and so far has gone away in between. So I guess it's a bit like PMT (?)

I have often had a sense of slightly puffy ankles, slightly bigger tummy around my period but this is worse, my legs feel like they are puffy and my ankles and feet are definitely swollen. When it first happened to my ankles I went to the GP who said it was just edema and not hormone related and suggested more activity or stockings.

I've not been keeping my drinking water up, maybe that would help? I have a low salt diet all the time and am active. Because its cyclical I'm sure it's hormone related. Its uncomfortable. Any suggestions what, if anything might help? I hear diuretics sometimes make it worse.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:40:28 PM by BrightLight »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Water Retention Remedy ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:20 PM »

Why have a low salt diet?  Lack of salt can cause lots of problems!

Drink lots! do not restrict intake.  Lots of fresh fruit and veg. gentle exercise, lollies, ice-cream ….. all adds to the fluid intake.  Keeping an input diary helps!

BrightLight

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »

Thanks, I'd just read that salt can cause fluid retention, I was trying to find an explanation for these horrid swollen feet ha I just have a normal diet, no added salt. I'll keep up with what I'm doing, like you say but add more water :) is dehydration a cause? Why is it around my period, such a pain.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

Hormones  :-\  ::)

BrightLight

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »

Ha, yes. I seem to be working through 'adjustment' symptoms, hopefully this one will eventually go away like the others have so far. I feel like the Michelin man!! Yuk

peegeetip

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »

Hi Brightlight

sorry to hear your having this problem.

Had my share of spongy skin moments but ok at present on my current regime.

I've started eating more bananas :)
I drink both tea and coffee as recent reports have squashed the myth they are worse than taking water.
As long as your total liquid for the day meets the guides or what your comfortable with then go with it.
Have a day every so often and just have water.

Only thing I notice is that I pee more regularly when I'm on tea (diuretic properties but not to the point it would cause a problem).

There are chemical diuretics sold over the counter or you can get docs to prescribe.
However they drain the body's store of potassium and tend to flush out more calcium.
This could lead to more risk of osteoporosis in the longer term.

One thing I do notice though on days I stick to water on its own, I tend to be running to the loo more often  :o ???

Hope that helps

:-*

BrightLight

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 03:46:02 PM »

Thanks peegeetip - seems it's another case of a balancing act.  I am going to try the increase in potassium and water and see if I can reduce the sponge!!  Seems to be subsiding today, along with my period - definately a link.

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 08:19:29 PM »

I was given furosemide for my water retention a few years ago, which really helped.i haven't needed them for about 1.5 years

BrightLight

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:09:23 PM »

Good to hear you don't need it anymore Annie - I googled the name and it said for oedema, congestive heart failure, liver cirrhosis, or kidney disease ! Kicked off health anxiety for a moment there, but I guess it's generally for water retention - doctor never mentioned these other issues. I had my electrolytes and other bloods taken recently, so that would have shown up other issues - really have lost trust in GP (which you will know if you have read my 'journey' so far ;)

The swelling is going down again - hopefully next month or next time it happens the higher fluid intake approach might help - I hope so.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:11:29 PM by BrightLight »

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 06:05:56 AM »

Bright light, my water retention was only happening in warm/hot weather, it was very uncomfortable at the back of my knees on particular and as I am an office worker, this caused problems

I only used them as and when needed, but did realise a few months ago that i passed last summer without needing them, strange

Linsey44

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »

Hi water retention can be so uncomfortable, in the past i have either eaten or juiced celery which helped me.  Might be worth a go.
X

BrightLight

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 10:11:08 AM »

So good to hear I'm not alone with this, ivf just read parsley is you'd too, we've just got a juicer at home do I can add celery into the mix. Going to live in hope of a remedy :)

Linsey44

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 02:22:36 PM »

Ive found that adding ginger to the juicer ingredients makes anything taste ok

BrightLight

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »

Thank you Linsey