Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Reducing progesterone levels  (Read 4257 times)

jedigirl

Reducing progesterone levels
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »

I realise this quite a specific question so I hope someone can help.
I am currently taking Utrogestan 100mg 1-25 days and two pumps estragel. I chose to take it this way as I wasn't feeling well on the estragen only stage of sequential HRT. Problem is now I think my progesterone may be too high. I had no bleed this month, my hair is greasy but my skin itchy. How do i reduce progesterone without changing my regime?
The GP I saw today said I could switch to Provera as this is available in a lower dose but I don't like that it's synthetic and would prefer to stay on Utrogestan somehow. Any ideas?
Thanks JG xx

jedigirl

Re: Reducing progesterone levels
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »

Also does anyone have experience of Crinone? Its a vaginal progesterone gel my GP mentioned it?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »

jedigirl - taking utrogestan in this way ie 25 out of 28 days is almost like continuous combined HRT, so if you are farily well into peri and your bleeds were not heavy, then periods may well tail off. It is really designed as a no-bleed HRT.

Are you taking it vaginally - sorry I can't remember? If so then it may well be more than needed. Some limited research has shown that on low/medium doses of oestrogen, every other day of vaginal use can be sufficient to keep the endometrium thin, but wouldn't want to do this except under supervision of a gyane or at least to check the womb lining through a regular scan.

If you are taking it orally then this is the right dose - and is the disadvantage of taking progesterone almost all the time.  When you are further into menopause perhaps you can discuss a longer cycle with your doctor giving you a longer time on oestrogen only (when you should eventually feel better) and then a normal course of progesterone?

While peri-menopausal it is quite difficult to get things just right!

Re Crinone - I haven't come across anyone on here who is using it although one or two may have tried it. Interesting that your GP mentioned it - I don't think it's licensed for HRT though used for fertility I think? I would be interested in your experiences if you decide to try it!

Hurdity x

jedigirl

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

Hurdity, I take it orally for 25 days as always felt quite unwell on just estragen.
GP said Crinone was for IVF but didn't seem opposed to offering it. Am being referred to meno clinic so maybe they'll tell me more. Thanks x

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »

Hurdity, I may try the usual regime of 1-14 days of utrogestan next month and see how i feel. If i try this would i finish my 25 days this month on the Utrogestan then count the three days on estragel only up to 28 days, then have the normal 14 days on estragel only then 14 days Utrogestan? Does that make sense?! x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »

Yes just keep counting the days ie Day 1 on oestrogel only after Day 28 irrespective of when your bleed comes, if you get one. On the cyclical regime you only need 12 days on the utrogestan - Days 15 - 26 (so would be 16 days estrogel).

Hopefully you will feel fine this month on the oestrogen only - although you may well experience pmt symptoms for a few days following stopping the progesterone - although this should be less pronounced with only 100 mg as the levels in your body won't be quite so high.

Hurdity x

jedigirl

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 05:42:02 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,
Would i need 200mg of Utro on that regime or is it ok to stay on 100? Am keen to avoid as much fluctuation as possible.
Sorry for the questions, I really appreciate your time and expertise! x
JG

jedigirl

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 09:16:51 AM »

Thanks StellaJane
I'm just using Utrogestan at the moment, only looking into Crinone, not sure it's a possibility. Am currently looking into using the Utrogestan over 12 days instead of 25, thats what my question was referring to.
Will certainly let you all know of any news with the Crinone xx :)

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »

It must be prescribed here as it's on the Patient.UK website which is one my GP says they use. http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/progesterone

It will be interesting to see if anyone has used it here.

Taz x