Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Would just like to say...we were blindsided  (Read 16261 times)

SallyG

Re: Would just like to say...we were blindsided
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 06:43:34 AM »

Dear Sammy

and all the other Women in this thread. I totally agree and have been in that place.

Hugs

Sally G

SueRoe

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »

I suspect many women are too worried about the impact talking at work about how awful they feel might (would?) have on their careers. I don't just mean that announcing that you feel so tense and ratty you could kick all the doors in would be a bad move but just announcing that you feel under-par most of the time and for the longish-term would probably not lead to a rush of promotion offers. I also suspect that those women who have sailed through all of this would not thank us for telling the workplace of our difficulties and being "tarred with the same brush", even though most of us manage to continue with our jobs as if nothing was happening (it seems to be home and personal life that suffers the most). I think the fact that so many of us manage to keep going in the face of all of this is a huge testament to the strength and determination of women. I also think agree that if it was men who suffered like this something more would have been done about it.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »

You could correctly argue that diabetes is 'natural' but we don't let sufferers battle it without medication.

Migraines are 'natural' but we don't just grin and bear them.

My body hasn't been functioning in the way I would like it to. My quality of life has dramatically decreased. I have felt ill. Ergo I will take medication to make it function how I want it to again.

peegeetip

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »

Hi GypsyRoseLee

totally agree with your view point. I felt the same before I was "allowed" to get HRT.
Life's quality was slipping away.

I've said this before but it seems to go against the grain on some peoples view of what we should or should not call peri and meno.

Confusion in relation to peri and meno life leads to so many problems we face.
If we stop trying to make excuses and accepting excuses too then we enter this new phase of our lives better prepared.

:-*

Dorothy

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 10:55:19 AM »

My mum told me, and still does today, that menopause will happen at 54 and not before.  So all you lovely ladies out there, if you are under 54 it isn't the menopause ;).  I know, cos my mum said so.

Don't let your Mum anywhere near me or I won't be responsible for the result  >:(

I've just turned 40...

honeybun

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »

I don't think my hubby would appreciate being told his Type 1 diabetes is natural  ::)
It damn near killed him.

When I say natural I mean it's a process that every woman goes through. It's not something you catch, or even an illness, but our worries, symptoms and concerns should be treated seriously and dealt with appropriately so we get to lead the second half of our lives in the best way we can.

But to say it's not natural does not make any sense to me at all.

Honeybun
X

peegeetip

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »

HB

no one talked about your husband so I'm not sure why he would appreciate our discussion or not!
Sorry that this happened to him but like peri and meno his diabetes can happen at anytime during our lives.

Type1 diabetes is the result of the body not working correctly if you want to be technical.
Peri and Meno are exactly the same, thats is our bodies are not working correctly.
One is due to our pancreas having problems.
One is due to our ovaries having problems.
So whats the difference?
Answer: The confusing attitude people have to one and not the other!

To start calling things "Natural" is just confusing so some of us would appreciate if we were understood in the same way and vehemence you mention your husband.

I'm not labeling you or your husband, so please with respect "dont label me"!

Thanks
 :-*
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:31:16 PM by peegeetip »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »

WHOOOA - all conditions are natural whether we like them or not.   :bang: :bang: :bang: - we've had this conversation before  ::) - if it ain't natural, then what is it?

Even those who get nasty diseases through being over-weight or smoking for example, are still suffering natural diseases which thrive on the opportunity of the bodies resistance becoming low, when the 'right' conditions are presented then the body will react.  ALL illnesses, diseases, are 'natural' ……… some symptoms can be eased, others can drag -  don't we know.

I didn't like my depression but it was a 'natural' event.  Hormone deficiencies are natural, I didn't like my period pains nor the nausea and panic reactions to it but it was 'natural' .  I didn't like having breast disease and treatment but the lump was 'natural', I didn't put it there  ::)

People who have road accidents, burns etc. are not suffering 'natural' conditions but how the body responds to these sudden events is 'natural'. 

I take my body for granted until something begins to niggle …….. i.e. a cold on it's way or the anxiety rumbling around.  Note to self - more exercise  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »

I am perfectly aware thank you that no one spoke about my husband and I certainly did not vehemently respond to anything..I was responding to Gipsy RL saying that diabetes was natural.

What label exactly am putting on you, I am intrigued to know. Would it be that you are a woman going through a natural process...ie menopause.

Thank you for your explanation of diabetes, unfortunately although you make a comparison between it and meno I am not aware that if I don't take my HRT I am in danger of falling into a coma, so to me the comparison is poor to say the least.

I am not quite sure why you have responded so vehemently to my post as I totally support the right of every person to get the correct treatement for any condition.

So with respect don't tell me what I am supposed to think and feel.

Oh and putting a kiss at the bottom of a very nippy post really does not help at all.

Honeybun

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »

…. may I giggle  :o  :-X

Dorothy

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

Ladies...ladies... :o  Our hormones are beating us up enough as it is, without us starting on each other.   :-\

Natural or unnatural, it's giving us a hard time or we wouldn't be here.  Can I suggest we leave the debate over how natural it is, and just keep supporting each other through it?

honeybun

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 02:27:35 PM »

Good idea Dorothy but  :-\

Honeybun
X

jedigirl

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »

This thread is not helping my anxiety!!  :madeyes:

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 02:43:22 PM »

It's not helping anyone  ::) ………

I do wonder each time 'natural' is raised what people who don't believe Menopause is natural what they believe is the reason  :-\    (medical secretary head on here …… )

peegeetip

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »

Hi CKLD

you've lost me on that one, had to read a few times to get what you meant there.

Not questioning what conditions are actually "natural" or not.

My main point is that a person with diabetes or any other chronic condition is not labeled in the same way we are with peri or meno (or ignored). The label leads to confusion in lots of areas of what we face on our peri and meno paths.

As one of the post in bladder/uti related threads said, their bladder issues didnt feel that natural to them. Surely you can see their point and the confusion it leads to and the damage done by that same confusion.
The same confusion leads people to think we can ignore peri and meno often and it will just go away.
Those posts last night must be the most upsetting I've seen.
Can't you see that?

HB 

I'm not telling you to think or feel anything, you've lost me on where I'm actually asking you to do anything. Perhaps consider the points I raise and why we are treated and viewed differently. If you've a better view or way then I'm all ears :)

Perhaps understanding that we are treated differently and often in a confusing way and a time in our lives when we are vulnerable and at our wits end, last thing we need is someone saying get on with it as its "natural". Whether someone can fall into a coma or whether someone is at the very end of their wits, both are conditions that should demand respect and proper guidance and treatment.

Jedigirl

sorry if this has increased your anxiety.

Dorothy

I'm not starting on others, just putting forward my view that the way we look at our peri and meno is broken. What we call it leads to a lot of confusion when ladies seek help and are left without.

I'm still not telling anyone what they should think or feel btw.

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:54:25 PM by peegeetip »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5