Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan 10 or 12 days?  (Read 3417 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Utrogestan 10 or 12 days?
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »

Have taken Utrogestan for 10 nights in a row. I seem fine with it, no side effects that I have noticed?

On my packet it says  should take it for days 15-26. So 12 days. But have seen plenty of posts on here from women who only take it for 10 days.

Not sure whether to take it for the full 12 days, or not? Any advice?

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan 10 or 12 days?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:02:28 PM »

Are you taking it orally? If you don't have any side effects then why not take it for the full 12 days? The dosage depends on where you are in menopause, your oestrogen dose and your bleeding pattern. Higher doses of oestrogen require higher doses of progesterone to ensure the lining is shed completely. If you are peri-menopausal and you have cycles where you don't ovulate also the additional prorgesterone may help to reduce heavy bleeding sometimes experienced at this time. Those who take it for less time are usually progesterone intolerant to some extent.

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »

I was hoping you would reply Hurdity  :) I have been taking it orally, and wear Estradot 25mg so quite a low dose, I think?

My periods are still fairly regular every 25-30 days, but my bleeds have been much lighter this last year. Just heavy spotting some months for just a couple of days. Not sure if the Utro will now make them heavier again?

Do you think it was only coincidence that 6weeks ago I experienced a 'proper' period for the first time in months. Much heavier bleed, lasting 6 days. And for the week before that period and 3 weeks after it I felt SO MUCH better, with no peri symptoms at all. But when my last period arrived it was back to being just heavy spotting for 2 days and I was also straight back to the anxiety/insomnia/diarrhoea again?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »

Well yes that is a low dose (25 mcg) so 10 days may well be enough. The Utro itself won't make them heavier, but as I said if you have been having anovulatory cycles it could help shed the build up - which is a good thing.  At least taking it regularly anyway should help in the beginning - as regards regulating the bleeding to some extent I would have thought? It's so difficult to know as every woman's menopause and what happens to her hormones, is slightly different.... Main thing is not to worry!

Hurdity x  :)

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »

Is it the 100 or 200mg?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. 10 days ago I got myself so worked up about taking the Utro. God knows what I thought it would do to me?

But actually it's been fine. I won't mind if my bleed is heavier but it would be nice for my cycle to be more regular.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 09:26:32 PM »

Hi Cassie.

I take 200mg Utrogestan, orally.