Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Fitbit  (Read 7948 times)

CJ-sleepless

Fitbit
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »

Anyone else use a Fitbit?  I've been using one for a few weeks now and I find it does help me to move more etc.  It has a feature to monitor your sleep which is the main reason I was interested in it if I'm honest - and boy oh boy has it been an eye opener.  Last night for instance - I woke 17 times and my total sleep was 4.5 hours - clearly not enough.  No wonder I'm exhausted all the time.  I definitely sleep better than I did pre-HRT - so goodness knows how little I was getting then!  Very occasionally I sleep all night - but it really is maybe once a month - and probably from sheer exhaustion!

On the upside, since I've been using the fitbit I've lost a few pounds - I track what I'm eating and move more - so it was worth the investment!  I'm a fan

Scampi

Re: Fitbit
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 01:36:10 PM »

I have a friend who has lost loads of weight with Weight Watchers (over 100 pounds!) and she has one - she likes hers.

I need to make a real effort to lose lots of weight, and I know very well that I need to move more as part of that ... but I'm a sad lover of gadgets, and anything that says 'Apple' on it, so I've got my eyes on an Apple Watch - I love the look of the acticity tracker on that as it's very visual - instant visual gratification from meeting your goal each day (I'm shallow like that!).  I don't need it to monitor my sleep, so having to charge the Watch every night is no problem .... just need to save up for one now!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 02:19:07 PM »

That reminds me, I meant to post about the lady who 'founded' Weight Watchers, she died recently and her Ob. was really interesting.  Remember, one doesn't put on weight suddenly so it won't drop off suddenly.  Any exercise is good too - keep at it!

bramble

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »

I have a fitbit. I used it assiduously for the first few months and checked it frequently during the day, trying to beat my 'best yet'. The sleeping tracker was very interesting and it said I woke up lots during the night, most of the times I was unaware of. I still use it but only look at it about once a day now. A good bit of kit if you want to track your steps every day.

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:22:29 PM »

At what stage of sleep do you 'wake' from?  I am often aware of turning over etc. but I know when I'm awake - usually on my way across the landing and back  ;D

robotwars

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

I was thinking of getting one of these, I have been looking at all the different versions, which one do you have?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »

Is it an 'app'?

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »

No CLKD not an app as such, though one is involved.  It's something you wear like a watch, although there are other options which you can also wear. Appears to track your activity during the day & your sleep at night. Quite expensive to purchase. Think app helps with food intake aspect of dieting.

bramble

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »

I have the Fitbit One which I carry in my pocket. I thought the wristband ones were too obvious!

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »

Big Brother is Watching YOUOOOOO  ;D

I have a treadmill upstairs - but I don't use it  :-\ don't' have time  ::) - prefer gardening.  I certainly feel fitter when we can get in the garden or go for a walk. 

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

Does that one monitor your sleep too Bramble?

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »

Mine is a fitbit Flex - they are on offer at Sainsbury at the moment for £53 if anyone's interested  ;)  Beware, it becomes addictive

bramble

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »

CB - yes the Fitbit One does monitor sleep. It is very interesting to track your night's sleep. I did not realise how restless I was at night until I wore it. You get a sleep band to wear which the fitbit slips into.

Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »

Thanks Bramble, I will have a look & see.