Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Statins and cholesterol  (Read 4195 times)

rosebud57

Statins and cholesterol
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »

Sorry, here is another link (supposed to be writing an essay, but looking for distractions).

For anyone taking statins or who has been advised to, this is really, really interesting.

Please watch the video, you can learn a lot your doctor probably does not know!!

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/statin-nation-the-documentary/

Joyce

Re: Statins and cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »

Brother, hubby & I refuse to take statins. My nursing daughter is horrified! Hubby & brother have done lots of research into this after seeing respective GPs. In fact hubby found one research document which stated that taking statins increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

Winterose

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »

Am with you there , my husband was put on them and had severe side effects, did lots of research and now wouldnt go near them.  People with high cholesterol have heart attacks and so do those with normal and low levels. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:13:49 PM »

My cholesterol levels are higher than 'normal' but my GP doesn't prescribe statins unless absolutely necessary.  I am doing everything more or less 'right' i.e. we eat healthy, home cooked meals most days, we exercise (though could do more  :-X) and my weight is what it should be.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »

OH will not stake statins.
He was prescribed them so had a chat with pharmacist when he picked them up.
Pharmacist said give them a try and see how you get on but if you get a pain here (side of neck, under ear) stop taking them. After that, he did research and found lots of reasons not to take them.

Machair

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:07:24 AM »

Mum had a stroke - her cholesterol was 3.6 at the time.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_twEFSmn17g

Watch this video - a top cardiologist explains his views based on 40 years of treating patients.

I am not totally against statins as I am a qualified nurse, but it is much more complex than treating numbers in healthy people with no symptoms.

Studies are being done all the time and it is vital to be proactive and to question in my opinion. It is your body and your life, and I think it is about being informed, asking questions, and making decisions in consultation with GP and then being happy afterwards.

If you have an hour to spare then the cardiologist I mentioned has a fascinating presentation here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAq7Sxyp-JQ

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03:49 AM »

Machair thank you for posting that. Watched first video & found it very interesting.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »

My husband and I have a wellness check every couple of years.  Last year we both had excellent results across the board and were told statins and BP treatment was completely unnecessary.

I think too many patients are given unnecessary treatments without thought on a 'just in case' basis.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »

Or because the GPs get a fee for the product as with 'flu jabs?

SueRoe

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »

Thanks for this rosebud57 - very interesting!

Sunnydays

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 08:07:30 PM »

What a really good thread and interesting links.
My mum was prescribed statins for high cholesterol some years ago and said that she felt as if she had aged 20 years overnight. She stopped them and a combination of watching diet and Benecol products kept it to a level acceptable to the doctor.
Last year I had cholesterol checks and mine had started to creep up, and my 'ratio' which is apparently the way to view cholesterol levels was declining. I understand that this is often caused by the menopause. The gp took into account my weight, blood pressure etc and said stations would not be considered at the moment.
My only caution with the videos is that there are differing medical opinions on this , just as there are with other health issues, including hrt.

oldsheep

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »

thanks for this info.  My GP is a mad keen statins fan. Last time I had a cholesterol test I was under the care of various physicians and the cardiologist-version one wrote to him stating that my good cholesterol was in the top 10% in the UK, so no statins necessary.
I didn't know he was paid to prescribe them.....hmm.

My husband's GP (different practice) is not at all keen on them unless you are extremely high risk. (I can't switch GPs as had a major fall out with the senior partner there over a prescription unfortunately).
My brother is on statins as his cholesterol is very high and his diet appalling and exercise non existent. He also smokes 60 a day.