Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan query  (Read 4127 times)

jedigirl

Utrogestan query
« on: April 18, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »

I have been using Utrogestan for 1-25 days and two pumps estragel. I was using Utrogestan this way to try and avoid the dip I always have on the estragen only . Problem is I was well for almost two months then crashed again feeling sick, dizzy and fearful. My hair is suddenly very greasy. I have had no period this month. Im wondering with the help of ladies on here, thanks GypsyRoseLee, if I have too much progesterone now ( hence greasy hair) and if so do I try 1-14 days Utrogestan? Be grateful of advice

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan query
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »

Hi jedigirl

I just read something on the web about acne and periods so this is relevant to greasy hair I would think - looks like progesterone could be the cause? http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/period

These behind-the-scenes hormonal shifts do all sorts of things to a woman's skin. For one, the mid-cycle progesterone rise stimulates the production of sebum. Sebum is a thick, oily substance that acts as a natural skin lubricant.

“And as levels of progesterone increase, skin swells and pores are compressed shut,” explains dermatologist Audrey Kunin, MD, of DERMAdoctor.com. As a result, pores never looked so minimized. “But this tourniquet effect also causes sebum to build up beneath the skin's surface.”

The reason for your lack of period could well be because you are taking progesterone of most of the month. If your oestrogen levels are also beginning to decline (ie during the peri-menopausal phase) then some months your womb lining won't build up enough - progesterone helps to keep it thin.

I can't explain the feeling sick and dizzy etc - at what stage of the cycle of oestrogen and progesterone did this occur? You may well expect to feel like this for a couple of days after stopping the progesterone ( eg days 27-28) because  the progesterone withdrawal causes pmt in many women.  However also your own hormones may be doing their own thing ( fluctuating) in the background - which may not help.

Yes, why not try less progesterone as you suggest?  If you are going to use it for part of the month then only 12 days max are needed - although if your periods end up becoming heavier again you might want to increase the number of days again temporarily!).

Hope this helps but sorry I can't be more specific - because how your body goes through the menopause and exactly how your own hormones fluctuate, will be unqiye to you - so only general ideas can be suggested.... there won't be a perfect solution but the aim is to feel better overall while riding out the fluctuations....

Hurdity x

jedigirl

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:05:45 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,
The dizzy, sick feeling has happened just after stoppping progesterone but also in the middle of it which makes me think I have too much progesterone.
I am currently on day three of Utrogestan. Do you think i should stop and just use Estragel for a certain time? Would it be 14 days on just estragel then add Utrogestan. Sorry for the questions, I respect your advice as i know many ladies on here do.
Thanks for the link too
JG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 08:57:07 PM »

Not sure exactly - cyclical HRT would be Days 1-14 oestrogen only, days 15 - 26 add in the Utro, Days 27-28 back to oestrgoen only. Day 1 start of bleed. So try to fit in where you are with that regime if you can?

Remember that oral utrogestan is 200 mg per day for the 12 days whereas if you were using it continuously as you were doing, then only 100 mg is needed (as per licensed dose). If you are on Day 3 of Utro then I presume you are on Day 3 of cycle? In this case yes it would be OK to stop the Utro as long as you started again with 200 mg on Day 15. You may experience withdrawal symptoms for a couple of days again though..... also bleed may well be different either because of changing the hRT or because of your own cycle.

Good luck!

Hurdity x

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,
That makes sense though I only have the 100mg at home so i think i will make an appointment with the gp to confirm if she agrees. Am lowering Sertraline dose at the moment so maybe another change needs to be approved by gp. Thanks for your help xx

jedigirl

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »

Does anyone have any experience of going from 1-25 days Utrogestan to 1-14 days or less. Am looking into whether I have too much progesterone and thinking I may reduce it but would like to know if anyone else has and how they felt?

Grumpymum

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »

I am currently taking Utrogestan days 15-26 of the cycle, with estrogen continuously. I'm only on the first cycle of this regime. My doctor said to take 200mg of Utrogestan but said the pills of 200mg are no longer available so I have to take 2 x 100mg.  I don't know if you will find the same. I hope you can resolve your problems.