Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Can Vagifem cause Hot Flashes?  (Read 12978 times)

Mich12

Can Vagifem cause Hot Flashes?
« on: April 18, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »

Hi there,

I have been on Vagifem for two months now. About 3 weeks into taking it I began getting hot flashes - several per day. I used to get night sweats when my periods were due but since my periods are only coming every 4 months or so now I don't get the night sweats much anymore - just before a period and that is it. But these hot flashes - oh my!  ??? They are terrible - intense heat radiating UP from my chest to the top of my head. I never had one until the Vagifem so I wondered if Vagifem can cause them?

Thank You. :)

Taz2

Re: Can Vagifem cause Hot Flashes?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »

Hi Mich - I've never heard of this before but rather than it be the Vagifem causing the flushes it could be that as your oestrogen levels are now low enough to trigger vaginal dryness then they are also low enough for the hot flushes to start. Sorry not to be more helpful!

Taz x

Jenna

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

Interestingly, the NHS website lists hot flushes as an "uncommon" side-effect of Vagifem.

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineSideEffects.aspx?condition=Vaginitis&medicine=Vagifem

Mich12

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 04:53:18 PM »

Hi Mich - I've never heard of this before but rather than it be the Vagifem causing the flushes it could be that as your oestrogen levels are now low enough to trigger vaginal dryness then they are also low enough for the hot flushes to start. Sorry not to be more helpful!

Taz x

Hi Taz,

Thank you so much for your reply. It may be that I would have just developed the hot flashes now with or without the Vagifem...I guess the only way I would know is if I stopped using it. And I don't want to stop using it as it is helping with so much already. But whew these hot flashes are not fun,  :o

Mich12

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 04:54:44 PM »

Interestingly, the NHS website lists hot flushes as an "uncommon" side-effect of Vagifem.

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineSideEffects.aspx?condition=Vaginitis&medicine=Vagifem

Hmmm wow maybe I could be the 1 in the 1 in 1000. I tend to get the rare side effects with most meds so who knows, lol

Thank you for replying to me. :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »

Mich12 - I doubt very much that Vagifem is causing the sweats.  If you are getting deeper into menopause then it is highly likely that you will experience more flushes and night sweats. Don't stop using the Vagifem as it is important to keep this going. If the flushes become a problem then you may need to consider some systemic HRT - this would be added help for the vaginal problems and bladder/UTI issues as well.  Dg x

Jenna

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 05:33:05 PM »

Hi Mich,

Maybe you could try an oestrogen cream instead (I use Estriol) or there is Ovestin which is stronger, but you use much less to get the same result. Perhaps one of those would be more suitable to try and avoid the hot flushes. I suppose you wouldn't know unless you tried! Just a thought, anyway.  :)

Jenna x

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »

Could the reason that hot flushes occur on Vagifem be because it only supplies oestrogen locally and not systemically?
There's enough to help VA but not enough to sort the flushes and other general yeuch feelings

Mich12

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »

Mich12 - I doubt very much that Vagifem is causing the sweats.  If you are getting deeper into menopause then it is highly likely that you will experience more flushes and night sweats. Don't stop using the Vagifem as it is important to keep this going. If the flushes become a problem then you may need to consider some systemic HRT - this would be added help for the vaginal problems and bladder/UTI issues as well.  Dg x

This is true....it is probably just a coincidence that they began after I began the Vagifem. I probably would benefit from a systemic HRT but I am a big chicken with the risk of blood clots and such. :(

Mich12

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 08:31:04 PM »

Hi Mich,

Maybe you could try an oestrogen cream instead (I use Estriol) or there is Ovestin which is stronger, but you use much less to get the same result. Perhaps one of those would be more suitable to try and avoid the hot flushes. I suppose you wouldn't know unless you tried! Just a thought, anyway.  :)

Jenna x

Thank you Jenna! I will jot those names down and discuss it with my doctor. :)

Mich12

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 08:33:11 PM »

Could the reason that hot flushes occur on Vagifem be because it only supplies oestrogen locally and not systemically?
There's enough to help VA but not enough to sort the flushes and other general yeuch feelings

Yes I agree that is probably why as it is not strong enough to stop them but systemic HRT would be. I am a big chicken when it comes to HRT. It took my doctor a lot to even convince me to use the Vagifem but I am on that now and doing well.  :) I never thought I would take systemic HRT but with the way I am suffering it would be a welcomed relief!

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 09:19:49 PM »

Hi Mich12

Estriol cream works on the vaginal area to treat oestrogen deficiency in the same way as Vagifem (estradiol) so won't alleviate hot flushes caused by oestrogen deficiency. You might find you prefer it for treating VA though so maybe worth a try for this only - although if you are doing well on Vagifem no reason really to change! As the others have said, the hot flushes are most likely to be caused by further lowering of oestrogen which only HRT will help to decrease.

Systemic HRT doesn't have to be scary. I felt exactly the same as you about it and decided when I started, that I would use a nil-by-mouth approach and only use it transdermally (patches) -  as being the most natural way to take it.

Hurdity x

Mich12

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 09:24:19 PM »

Hi Mich12

Estriol cream works on the vaginal area to treat oestrogen deficiency in the same way as Vagifem (estradiol) so won't alleviate hot flushes caused by oestrogen deficiency. You might find you prefer it for treating VA though so maybe worth a try for this only - although if you are doing well on Vagifem no reason really to change! As the others have said, the hot flushes are most likely to be caused by further lowering of oestrogen which only HRT will help to decrease.

Systemic HRT doesn't have to be scary. I felt exactly the same as you about it and decided when I started, that I would use a nil-by-mouth approach and only use it transdermally (patches) -  as being the most natural way to take it.

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity,

I love your approach and will remember to ask my doctor about the patch route. I didn't even realize that was an option! How does this work - is it like the pill in that it helps but it doesn't have the same side effects? Do you experiment with different brands/doses?

Thank You. :)

Jenna

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »

Hi Mich12

Hurdity x

Hurdity - the idea of trying Estriol cream was to see if the hot flushes persisted. If they did, then they were likely to be a new menopausal symptom. If they didn't, then it was likely that the Vagifem was causing them. Hot flushes are listed as an "uncommon" side effect of Vagifem on the NHS website.

Jenna x