Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Adding more soy to my diet  (Read 1994 times)

Greenfields

Adding more soy to my diet
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »

Hi there, I've just finished reading a few menopause books which focus on diet. I've always had a pretty good diet which is high in phytoestrogens so I ticked most of the boxes in terms of meeting what the books suggested one should eat.

However when I moved from Canada to the UK last year I stopped eating as much soy foods - tofu for instance. This was mostly because I didn't hunt around to find out where I could buy it and using the oven (for a whole raft of reasons) has not been easy in either of my UK rental places (in Canada I used to like roasting tofu and then adding it to pasta sauce or salads).

Anyway I've finally found that I can get tofu for a reasonable price at my local Waitrose (have never seen it for sale in Sainsbury's - do they sell it?) and have started to eat more of it and also soy yogurt.

But I'm wondering whether this will impact my HRT treatment? As soy is a strong source of phytoestrogens will that impact the oestrogen in my system? For the moment I'm just adding it to food without going over board with it - so I eat tofu regularly but not masses (although I am adding soy yogurt to fruit daily).

Any thoughts appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Adding more soy to my diet
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:01:52 PM »

I haven't tried soy, some people find it upsets the bowel  :-\ ……… let us know how you get on!

You may find that a 'health food' store such as Holland and Barratt may stock it, you could do a 'search'  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »

Our local Sainsburys sells Tofu.

Taz x

Greenfields

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »

Holland and Barratt stock it but its expensive. Waitrose is cheaper. I will look in Sainsbury's Taz because I haven't spotted it in our local branch yet!