Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bladder Infections  (Read 9725 times)

Mich12

Re: Bladder Infections
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »

I think that I had this sort of pain before when first starting Vagifem but thought it was to do with the womb. However, I had a hysterectomy last year so it can't possibly be womb related. The only thing I could think of because of the position of the pain - almost like a tennis ball sized pain low down in the abdomen - was the bladder reacting in some way. I will re-start it next week to see if the same thing happens again. I'm seeing my doc on 28th April so I'll mention it to her then.

If you use the search box in the blue bar top left of the screen and just type in vaginal atrophy dryness it will bring up all of the past posts mentioning this.

Taz x

Thank you Taz x, I will do a search. :)

Judith57

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »

Aaaaahh bless you, you've replied to us all individually  :) Take heed of what your GP said, I really wish I had been more careful and not acted as if I was 19  :-\

Mich12

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 12:53:58 AM »

Aaaaahh bless you, you've replied to us all individually  :) Take heed of what your GP said, I really wish I had been more careful and not acted as if I was 19  :-\

Thank you. :)

Fee

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »

Hi Mich12

You have described the symptoms of what I am going through this very morning.  I have been on twice weekly antibiotics for UTI's and the last two tests from the lab came back negative, ie, no bacteria.  I am now convinced I have vaginal atrophy.  I was prescribed Vagifem a few years ago but stopped when the symptoms setted down and wonder if I now need to go back to the doctor and re-start taking them.

What I find confusing is that yesterday I felt great and today I feel rubbish and constantly wanting to wee.   I also find that I have the most horrible headache and feeling of nausea, I guess this could be another downside to this atrophy thing :-\   

My doctor has given me an emergency antibiotic to take but to be honest this doesn't really solve the problem I am suffering with down below.

I have tried cranberry juice in the past but it doesn't seem to work for me.  Off to take some more paracetamol and hopefully as the day progresses it will improve. :(

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »

Hi Fee - just to say that if you needed Vagifem in the past then, usually, you will need it for ever. The atrophy happens because your oestrogen level has dropped and it wont rise again. It's a long term condition. I'd definitely go back to the GP for another prescription.

Taz x

Fee

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »

Thanks Taz, I will mention is to my GP at the next appointment.

I have taken an antibiotic this morning (I have an an emergency 5 day supply) and feel some relief from the pain already.  Although the lab results show "no growth" I know there must be something lurking around.

I just love this forum, it has so much information and to think it was recommended  to me by my GP.   ;)

Fee
X

Mich12

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »

Hi Mich12

You have described the symptoms of what I am going through this very morning.  I have been on twice weekly antibiotics for UTI's and the last two tests from the lab came back negative, ie, no bacteria.  I am now convinced I have vaginal atrophy.  I was prescribed Vagifem a few years ago but stopped when the symptoms setted down and wonder if I now need to go back to the doctor and re-start taking them.

What I find confusing is that yesterday I felt great and today I feel rubbish and constantly wanting to wee.   I also find that I have the most horrible headache and feeling of nausea, I guess this could be another downside to this atrophy thing :-\   

My doctor has given me an emergency antibiotic to take but to be honest this doesn't really solve the problem I am suffering with down below.

I have tried cranberry juice in the past but it doesn't seem to work for me.  Off to take some more paracetamol and hopefully as the day progresses it will improve. :(

Hi Fee,

I am so sorry you too are going through this. :( What kind of antibiotic are you taking? I took Macrobid for 5 days and now I am on Doxycycline. I get the urine culture result on Monday. She only went by the dipstick until this second infection.

It is very painful. I had a terrible evening last night. I am on my second round of antibiotics now and I have these pills here that turn my urine orange and relieve pain and I had to take one last night for the pain. :(

I hope you feel better soon!

Fee

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »

Mich2, I am taking ciprofloxacin and will take it for the next 5 days.  My result should have been back from the lab on Friday but I didn't hear anything.  The dipstick showed no infection in my sample but I have had this before and when the result comes back it's positive, I may hear something on Monday but I must say I am starting to feel better already acing just taken 1 tablet.

I am off abroad for 5 days from next Wednesday and may start taking one cefalexin at night.  The Dr suggested I take this is a preventative antibiotic and it may see me through until I get back.  Hopefully I feel better by then.

I hope you have a better night tonight, I would die for a full nights sleep  :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 02:37:15 PM »

I would ring for the Vagifem on Monday, ask for the prescription to be left for you.  The sooner you begin the nightly dose for 2 weeks the better you will feel.

Going somewhere nice? (we have a holiday thread  ;) )

Fee

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »

Good thinking, I might just ring a see if they will write a prescription without a appointment, I doubt it though.

I am going to visit the grandchildren in Brussels, I haven't seen them since New Year and desperately want to be well enough to have some fun with them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »

If you have had the prescription previously I can't see that there will be a problem unless the Surgery make it so. It's so difficult to get appts. these days  ::) that I would say "In order to avoid taking up an appt which someone might need more than I do, could you ask the GP if he/she will prescribe Vagifem? as it helped last time.  I am happy to speak on the phone if he/she wants to check" and add that you are out of the country from Wednesday.  ;)

Haven't been to Brussels since I was 16  :o

Mich12

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »

Mich2, I am taking ciprofloxacin and will take it for the next 5 days.  My result should have been back from the lab on Friday but I didn't hear anything.  The dipstick showed no infection in my sample but I have had this before and when the result comes back it's positive, I may hear something on Monday but I must say I am starting to feel better already acing just taken 1 tablet.

I am off abroad for 5 days from next Wednesday and may start taking one cefalexin at night.  The Dr suggested I take this is a preventative antibiotic and it may see me through until I get back.  Hopefully I feel better by then.

I hope you have a better night tonight, I would die for a full nights sleep  :o

Hi Fee,

That is a good antibiotic. I am allergic to penicillin, Bactrim, and the Keflex and Erythromycin families of antibiotics so there isn't much I can take sadly. My dipstick was positive for infection and for blood so my doctor sent the urine sample out for a culture and she will know the result Monday she said and she might have to switch my antibiotic.  :-\ I am not feeling better either. I was but then the pain came back - very odd.

Take good care. :)

Fee

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »

An update Mich12.  I had to go back to the dr today, this antibiotic was making me so ill, I did manage to take 3 days out of the 5.  I am now taking a prophylactic Cefalexin and if I have another bout it looks like a visit to Urology...again!

I hope things are better with you.

peegeetip

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 10:41:16 PM »

Hi Fee

that is the main problem with a doc prescribing such a strong anti biotic, a lot of people cannot tolerate them.

Just to point out something just in case the doc has not mentioned it.
Take it easy if you like going out for walks and are exercising as it can have effects on your muscles and tendons (weakness).

I hope you get some relief soon.

Have you thought about going to a Medium or Higher HRT solution?

:-*

Mich12

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 12:22:58 AM »

An update Mich12.  I had to go back to the dr today, this antibiotic was making me so ill, I did manage to take 3 days out of the 5.  I am now taking a prophylactic Cefalexin and if I have another bout it looks like a visit to Urology...again!

I hope things are better with you.

Thank you for the update Fee! I hope this new anabiotic makes you feel better and doesn't give you those side effects. If your doctor sends you back to the urologist what do you think they will do?  What did they do the first time you were there? I'm going to the urologist tomorrow and I'm nervous.  :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3