Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Testosterone  (Read 3062 times)

Sphere27

Testosterone
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:14 PM »

Anyone had this prescribed as part of their hrt? Is so how has it helped?

Annie0710

Re: Testosterone
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:43:17 AM »

This interests me too

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 07:09:54 AM »

Testosterone is no longer licensed for women in this country ( commercial reasons), only for men. You can be prescribed testosterone by some private gynaecologists, who have access to supplies, but you have to sign a disclaimer. As my testosterone levels were so low and were possibly responsible for some symptoms, I have tried up to the highest level recommended, alongside HRT. You will not be prescribed it without oestrogen, which means progesterone as well if you still have a womb. Sadly for me testosterone did not help, although oestrogen most definitely has. After several months I stopped taking it, as I was getting acne type blemishes and these continue to be a problem. Acne is a common side affect.

evey

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:46:52 AM »

Hi, I asked my GP about this but she did not want to prescribe, sounded interesting though.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »

It can't be prescribed on the NHS as it isn't licensed for women in this country at present. Some private gynaecologists will be able to prescribe if appropriate.

Chi chi

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »

Hi I was until recently using testim gel, it has definitely helped with my libido, or lack of it should I say  8) I now have a testosterone implant aswell as oestrogen, it's only been 2/3 weeks so not sure yet how it compares to the gel. I haven't had any bad side effects such as hair growth, acne or any male characteristics so far. I was on the gel for 11 months.  :)

lancashirelass

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »

Nhs gynaes do prescribe testosterone.  I know several ladies who get it via nhs

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »

I thought (if doc is willing) male testosterone in much lesser qty is prescribed where appropriate

dazned

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »

My private consultant wouldn't  perscribe it as it's derivation is the the male hormones ,however he will give me the implant but he said he would continue trying to source a female form of testosterone from somewhere,I know you can get it from Australia.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 06:53:19 PM »

Yes it is the male hormone - it is exactly the same - we have it in our bodies - is that what you mean dazned? Or did you mean that the dosage has been worked out for men ( much higher) making it difficult to prescribe for women, and the product produced specifically for women (the patch) was discontinued?

Most GPs won't even send women for testing of teosterone - I asked at my surgery and they just said take St John's Wort but not if you're taking oestrogen!!! Fat lot of good that is as I am taking oestrogen....

Yes I have heard of the product designed for women - I think it's a cream - but as always with hormone creams it needs to be properly tested etc - for efficacy and safety. Since sometimes only a small amount (of T) is needed to improve things ( so I gather) then I would definitely want to try a cream. Would hate to get acne though as I didn't have it as a teen!

This is an area that is so under-researched - and how frustrating. I wonder if the new menopause guidelines, when produced will mention testosterone at all?

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:38:59 PM »

Am I right in thinking that during our (younger ) years we produce 10x less the amount men do ?

Considering these hormones, when working as they should, keep us functioning, I don't get why they're not offered to us when they stop production

I'm trying to get my head round all this, as peri occurs we are changed women because our hormones are fluctuating ?
Then in post our hormones are flat and evenly balanced (nil)?
If that's right why can't we have all these lost hormones replaced ? And why do we sometimes react badly to hrt as is read on our forum when they are replaced ? Is it because they aren't balanced ?
Just when I think I'm understanding it, I analyse it and get confused again !