Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Stopped HRT  (Read 4618 times)

diane40

Stopped HRT
« on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:28 PM »

Hi
Ive been on Kliovance for 9 years but for the last few months ive had really bad high blood pressure.My Doctor told me not to take them anymore,my prescription had run out so he said he won't renew it.Ive still got my ovaries and everything so hopefully i'll be alright but im worrying what to expect.The nurse said he should have weaned me off them but i just do as im told.Im getting palpitations and headaches,the nurse seems to think its all because of stopping hrt.

What could i expect after stopping?What would your advice be?
Ive had blood tests,one indicates im post menopausal and the rest indicates im still mid way through it.

Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: Stopped HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »

Hi diane40
It can be tough going cold turkey from HRT but there are differing views as to whether coming off gradually or not will make any difference. You don't say how old you are? If your blood pressure is too high then this should be treated and in fact with correct treatment of blood pressure there shouldn't be any reason to stop HRT.  However it may be a good idea to take a break to see how you cope and you may find any meno symptoms may be mild.
There is some concern that bone density can deteriorate more rapidly after stopping HRT but again I don't think there is specific evidence for this.  It is important to increase you weight bearing exercise e.g. brisk walking - this will help the blood pressure and should help maintain bone density. You might want to look at your diet as well and possibly take some extra supplements like Omega 3 and Vitamin D.
If you still get periods then you are peri menopause but you may find you are through into post meno - just see what happens.
Do read up all the info on this site and get back to us with questions. Keep us posted about your progress.
DG x

diane40

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »

Sorry im 47 i was about 38 when i started on Kiovance and the hospital said i was going through the menopause.I started bleeding really heavy so i had a biopsy but blood test suggested i was going through the menopause.Doctors said i was to be on it till im 50.
Ive started on blood pressure medication and at the minute just to get on the right dosage.
Before i started on Kliovance my symtoms were terrible,laying awake alnight,sweating,my mind just wouldn't switch off and my moods were terrible.Im on Prozac now so hopefully they'll curb my moods.

Nina

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »

I think you should see a different doc. Are you happy to stop? Are you depressed. Is that why he gave you Prozac?

To be honest the thought of stopping my hrt is enough in itself to raise my blood pressure  :D

diane40

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »

I don't mind seeing what im like off it but he doesn't explain how things will be.I haven't bled for years but then on Kliovance you don't bleed,im gong to have to see what im like.
Ive been depressed off and on for years,don't know why ,it's just on of those things.Ive been on prozac for about 3 months now,i only stopped hrt 2 weeks ago but since ive come off it everything just seems to be getting on top of me.

peegeetip

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »

"Im getting palpitations and headaches,the nurse seems to think its all because of stopping hrt."

Nurse is spot on.

Your doc is completely wrong.

You can have a high bp reading due to many things.
A lot of us get higher when we just goto the doc!

In terms of HRT, you can continue if you want to, its not your doc's choice.
If you have a longer term issue with high bp then as long as they are giving treatment and monitoring that then HRT can be taking in conjunction with that.

Don't be fobbed off by the doc if you dont want to go back to suffering the symptoms.

Hope you get better soon.

:-*

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 10:10:28 AM »

Advice from the Blood Pressure Association http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourbody/Menopause

The patch form of HRT would be more suitable for you than a pill but I agree that just having high blood pressure is not a reason for being taken off HRT especially at your young age. Have you got any other health problems which need to be taken into account?

I have tried both ways of stopping HRT - the long slow withdrawal and the cold turkey - both of them have had the same result. The return of original symptoms.

Taz x

peegeetip

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 11:07:04 AM »

so menopause is no different to any other condition or illness, if we stop taking the drugs the symptoms will return.

from my own immediate family I see that those symptoms often never really go away.

perhaps the doc's should take into account latest BMS view on "having no arbitrary limit on how long we take hrt".