Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Not enough estrogen?  (Read 3499 times)

Grumpymum

Not enough estrogen?
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »

Hi ladies, I am still trying to sort out what HRT works for me - will I ever get it sorted?!

I have tried various tablets, none of which seemed to have much effect. I am now on patches, having tried Femseven which suited me quite well but I was allergic to the patch and the itching drove me mad! I have tried Everol but again was allergic.

I am now on estradot 50 and Utrogestan 200mg. I am also allergic to estradot but as they are much smaller the area is bearable. I have just started on the utro for day 15-26. I also take citalopram as an AD which I didn't realise helped with hot flushes until I joined MM! I wondered why hot flushes weren't my main problem of the menopause!

I have a real problem with anxiety/tearfulness, and motivation. I have never been the most cheerful people but the lack of motivation is really getting me down, as well as the aches and pains, which also make me not want to move. Anything happening out of my ordinary day-to-day and I become very anxious. (Sorry, I'm starting to ramble!)

I am due to see a GP later in the week. I may have to change to a gel to get away from the allergy as I do wonder as the warmer weather comes on whether the itch will get worse, or indeed if the estrogen is being inhibited in some way by the rash. As I have only taken utro for one day it is too early to say if that is any good or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions about whether my estrogen dose is too low?

I am now 51 and as I have been on various HRT for nearly a year now I have no idea what my natural hormones are like. I am trying to keep a mood diary but then I start to wonder if I am obsessing too much about it and I find it too easy to put any ache or pain down to the menopause. My hubby just says it is wear and tear as he aches too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Grumpy mum (says it all really)!

Salad

Re: Not enough estrogen?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »

Hi  :)

Just thought I'd send you some good wishes - not much help but I know I feel better when I know others are in the same boat  ;D

I posted yesterday and had a response that gave me the confidence to make a change to my HRT dose- I'm feeling a lot better today.

I was allergic to an Oestrogen tablet, so my GP gave me Oestrogel when I first started HRT. I used it successfully for a year and then had trouble keeping my symptoms balanced. It looks like I was absorbing it too quickly so I have recently been swapped to Evorel 100.
Despite reacting to plasters (eg micropore) I've tolerated the patch so far- only on my 4th patch!

Your anxiety symptom does indicate you're low on Oestrogen - so maybe an increase would be an idea to see if it helps.

Hope you find something to help you feel better soon x

Winterose

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »

From my own experience I need 75mg estradot patch which then got rid of most of the issues and then had to up to 100mg but have come back down now to about 85/90 which I get from cutting up the patch.  It is experimentation, dont give up - it takes a while, at 51 you shouldnt have too many aches or pains, do you have a comfortable bed, we couldnt believe how buying a new much softer bed helped , almost eliminated them.  You need to invest a reasonable amount but we did without expensive holidays for a couple of years and its worth every penny.Virtually solved my husbands back pain in a week.  :-*

Grumpymum

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »

Thank you Salad and Winterose for replying, it feels good to not feel alone in this. I have stuck on a half patch too, taking it up to 75 to see if that makes any difference before I see the doctor. Here's hoping!

Grumpymum

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »

I have been to the doctors today and seen a different GP. She was very nice. She suggests I have lots of bloods done, to check for thyroid, vit D, vit B etc. It's to be a fasting test. Oh no, no tea in the morning!. Only problem is the first appointment I could get to see a nurse is two weeks! She doesn't want to start adjusting doses etc until she has the results, which is fair enough, but it is not going to get sorted soon. Must try and concentrate on something else!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »

Hi Grumpy

Maybe wearing that extra bit of patch for the next 2 weeks will help lift your mood as you will be getting more oestrogen?

I started wearing Estradot 25mg 8 days ago, but am wondering if it's going to be enough to properly lift my low mood/anxiety which has been present for most of the last 3 weeks nearly.